Why we do what we do

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Dreadnut, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

Psalm 150
    Praise the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens.
    Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness.
    Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre,
    praise him with tambourine and dancing, praise him with the strings and flute,
    praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.
    Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD.

eallen, thunderbyrd and GearJammer93 like this.
  2. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

" . . . and, cage the drummer . . ." - commentary, probably

mRtINY and Danjabellza like this.
  3. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

Those are more of "WHATS" than "Whys". But wonderfully valid.

The WHYS can get very theological and varied.

4. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

If they're instructions, maybe they're part of the why?

5. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

You don't really need a drummer to "clash the cymbols" do you? :lol::lol::lol: If they had an actual drummer, I wonder what they used to build the cage when they were wandering around in the desert. Maybe they dug him a hole.;)

mRtINY and GoldieLocks like this.
  6. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

Yes this is part of the "why" because it is a command, and it is instruction. And of course, it is a song, as are all the Psalms.

So how would crashing cymbals and dancing go over in your church?

7. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Ha! and I thought why was just because I was wired that way~fearfully and wonderfully made and all that;)

GoldieLocks likes this.
  8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

we have a small "country church". seats about 75 people and we usually have right around 30 every sunday. and I can tell you that dancing and cymbals go over just fine, in fact, it's the norm. of the 30 or so that are there every sunday, close to 20 are folks in their 60s, 70s, and 80's. and guess what, they like it loud! they like wild guitar solos, they loved my busy style when I played bass, they love drums. I've only been asked to turn down once that I remember in the 10 years or so that I've been playing there.

hotraman and Owenmoney like this.
  9. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

Thanks for that, thunderbird. I think God is pleased with wildly uninhibited worship as well as reverent quiet worship.

When the Ark of the Covenant was returned to Jerusalem, King David went out in the street and danced in jubilation in his underwear, and his sister-in-law mocked him for it. She just didn't get it.

Owenmoney likes this.
  10. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

Reading between the lines of 2 Samuel 6... Michal never got it, ever.

11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

sister in law? I thought she was his wife. but I am prone to mistakes.

12. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

Saul's daughter, married to David
    1 Samuel 18:27

hotraman and GoldieLocks like this.
  13. GoldieLocks

I think Michal was generally sick of david and Saul and men in general. Love and family and wives meant little to them. She probably thought David was a dancing religious Show-off hypocrite. (and she was right!). If we are going to be all Pentecostal and dance in church - we should at least try and have our crap in order. As much as is possible.

1 Samuel
    43David also took Ahinoam of Jezreel, and both of them became his wives. 44Saul had given Michal his daughter, David’s wife, to Palti the son of Laish, who was of Gallim.

14. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, I am NOT going there....!

15. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

I was wrong; Michal was one of David's wives. However, David was not a religious showoff by any means. If that's your takeaway, you missed the point. It seems to me the Lord was pleased with his uninhibited worship.

And it should be noted that David was a hypocrite like all of us. But in spite of all his shortcomings, including adultery and murder; God said "David is a man after my own heart." And he allowed David to be in the line of Christ.

From II Samuel 6:

14 Wearing a linen ephod, David was dancing before the Lord with all his might, 15 while he and all Israel were bringing up the ark of the Lord with shouts and the sound of trumpets.

20 When David returned home to bless his household, Michal daughter of Saul came out to meet him and said, “How the king of Israel has distinguished himself today, going around half-naked in full view of the slave girls of his servants as any vulgar fellow would!”

21 David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed over the Lord’s people Israel—I will celebrate before the Lord. 22 I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor.”

23 And Michal daughter of Saul had no children to the day of her death.

16. GoldieLocks

Celebrating is good! ...and then the Bathsheba incident. Yes, he became even MORE undignified. Not always a good thing. (maybe the slave girl issue should have been dwelt with too --- before all the linen ephod dancing.) Compared to Solomon: David was very much a man of honor. so it applied.

We worshiping guitar players should set higher standards. David isn't always a good example. He's definitely a saint - but seldom by his own doing.

17. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

I identify with David for a variety of reasons: because he was a string player and songwriter, and because he was such a sinner, but also because he had a contrite heart.

18. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

David was a mess..,a sinful mess. Just like us.
    He is a trophy of God’s grace...proof that salvation is of the Lord, a testament of pure saving grace.

elihu likes this.
  19. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Sounds like a great church. My worst critic about "loudness" in the church where I am Pastor, is my 87 year old Mom. (The Lord only knows what I put her through growing up) I keep the sound a little lower than I like because I respect the folks there and nobody wants discord at church. Merry Christmas....Praise the Lord #1 and then put on some Bing!

thunderbyrd likes this.
  20. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

We played Gospel Bluegrass at a friend's church one Sunday - my friend said an old gal approached him afterwards and said "I liked the music, but you need to tell your drummer to tone it down some." He said "Yes, Ma'am." He didn't have the heart to tell her we don't have a drummer. She must have felt the vibrations from the standup bass, LOL.

GoldieLocks likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.