Why Trade a Big Amp… for a Smaller Amp?

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Don’t trade. Sell. Sell the big amp. Buy the best small amp for your needs that you can find. Bigger isn’t better unless you need to move big air. Smaller tends to be focused so you may want to put the small one up on a stand. Don’t trade unless you’re getting equal value and what you’re trading for is exactly what you’d buy on the open market.

Ajs91

TDPRI Member
It ain't the size of the ship that matters, it's the motion of the ocean! ;)

Also, because some venues don't even let you use live amps on stage, so the size and power of an amp isn't as important as the amp's ability to run direct to the house and still sound good. Which means you probably won't have fun carrying 60+ pounds of amp just to play silently on a stage that forces you to wire direct. It's an empty feeling that can make you feel sad for never being able to use the full potential of your big beautiful amp... :(:cry:

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Define "small." I put a Ragin' Cajun into my PRRI, and, holy cats, it's loud AF. Really put it through its paces for the first time yesterday when no one else was home. Thinking about trying a SS rectifier in there too--I use one in my no-verb and like it.

I'm also in the on-again phase of my Ike and Tina-esque relationship with my tc Tube Pilot pedal--tried it alone with the PRRI instead of in the chain to the no-verb, and thought it sounded great. Simplified my living room setup to one amp and one pedal to make room for Christmas decorations.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
25BAA5FC-FFEF-47EE-A61C-6CF932AEFFEB.jpeg

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
In November 2020 I traded my 1968 Drip Edge Twin for a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. Outside of the VERY occasional twinge of seller's regret, I've never looked back. The Twin was a magnificent amp, but I used it, pre covid, maybe 3-4 times a year. Things shut down, and the Twin just gathered dust. The TMDR, while not quite the Twin tonally, provided an amp I've been gigging with almost exclusively. Good solid state amps don't scare me when they do the job I need them to do.

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
Gentlemen IMHO....the Roland JC-40 is
#1. Two tens @ 34lbs. In my dreams it is
The Sound of Reality.

Solid State is now - right now.

The end of Prop Planes yielded some incredible aeroplane designs but when
compared to an F86 Sabre...

Tubes in their decline are coming up with some really cool stuff still. But the
cost of purchase & maintenance...

An elementary comparison is all I can come up with...
A Zippo compared to a Bic.

When Roland comes up with a "Quasar -
Works In A Drawer" system - then it'll be
GAME OVER.

And they will - Duncan Amplification was
a couple of decades too soon is all.

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
There's what you want, and there's what you need. In the 1970s, I needed a 60-watt Sunn to fill high-school and college gymnasiums with sound. In 2021, a 5-watt amp is more than loud enough to fill the rooms I play in. Heck, even the 1/2-watt setting on my Roland BCH can get louder than I need. Having too much amp is as bad as having too little, if you need to overdrive it for the sound you want.

And let's be honest - this is a question of fashion, too. Until recently, no one could be a rock god without a mountain of amplifiers in the background. It's a fairly recent development that big-name players started going on stage with small amps miked into a PA. Once people like Clapton and Beck made that image cool, we're seeing plenty of others pick it up and imitate them.

drmordo

Tele-Afflicted
IMO there are two reasons to have a big amp - high volume and/or clean headroom. If you aren't playing loud or you don't want a super clean tone, you can absolutely get a small amp that does everything you need.

Tommy Biggs

Friend of Leo's
I traded a USA made 60 watt HRDV 2x12 for a SS22 a while back.
I have other amps larger and smaller. The SS22 filled a need for me and has worked out well - although it’s mostly a ‘home’ amp.

Last edited:

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted