Why the Tele is the perfect guitar...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ebidis, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Well said! You beat me to it. The perfect guitar for me is:

- Tele
    - Strat
    - Les Paul
    - ES-335
    - Gretsch DuoJet
    - Martin Acoustic

[​IMG]

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  2. Enginecap

Enginecap TDPRI Member

Four way switch! Now if I could just find another SkB case just like this one I’d be happy.
    upload_2018-6-22_21-17-25.jpeg

3. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

Digs into your chest? How short are you?

Owenmoney likes this.
  4. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

Telecaster + Tube Screamer = LP

dlew919 and Evil Funk like this.
  5. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I always thought of a Tele as a funky, imperfect quirky guitar... and that's why it's perfect for me!

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I'm not in a band. I play sitting down. And the top (low E side of the body on my Tele) of the body, with it's sharp edge, does dig into the upper stomach, lower chest area in a way that a Strat doesn't because of the contoured cutaway that's there on the body of a Strat. It's not that hard to figure out what I meant. DUH!

DHart likes this.
  7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

If you play sitting down, the back edge of the guitar comes up against your rib cage, not your belly.

I've got Teles with and without the contour on the back of the guitar, and find the ones with the contour just feel much nicer against the rib cage area of the body - as it is with a Strat.

If you play standing up, this may not be a factor for you. But sitting down, the contour on the back of the guitar makes a very nice difference!

DougM likes this.
  8. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

I agree with the OP that the Tele is a dandy guitar, and some would say among the most versatile of guitars.
    There is however, a certain quality that a Les Paul has that a Tele does not quite have, even though some might say it's close.
    That's why I am now playing a Goldtop w/P90's after having played a Tele for the last fifteen years.
    No disrespect to the OP, just my two cents worth ........

9. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

The top of my Tele never gets anywhere near my ribcage. My belly provides perfect padding!

titan uranus and DHart like this.
  10. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Talking about Teles that can do Strats and Les Pauls. There is one. It's called the James Burton USA Signature Telecaster. Quite possibly the greatest / most versatile production Tele ever made.

11. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

While it's broadly y experience that with pedals, etc., I can make my Tele sound like other guitars, the reverse is not the case. It's really hard to make another guitar sound like an uneffected Tele. But guess what? I don't want them to. The plain Tele sound is terrific for some genres of music, and yes, it's sort of a rite of passage to learn Hot Licks on a clean Tele, but I have little interest in that kind of music; in fact, I mostly dislike it. It's really when guys transform that basic Tele tone into something else that I really listen -- Bill Frissell, for instance. Otherwise, I don't want my Tele to become a cheap imitation LP. I have a LP -- why on earth would I want an approximation? And if I could only have one guitar, it would be a Strat, not a Tele.

12. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

With all due respect...no. Just no.

I've never understood why many Tele enthusiasts insist a Tele can sound like a Strat or can sound like a Les Paul or {insert guitar model here}. A Tele doesn't have an identity crisis.

It's funny. Many Tele enthusiasts are adamant nothing sounds like a Tele (I agree) but then state they're so mystically versatile that they can sound like anything else??? We see the contradiction right?

A Tele + {insert any decent od} = awesome Tele tones. Give credit what a Tele is and sounds like. Not for what it's not.

Rant over.

Iago, grooveiron and Owenmoney like this.
  13. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I’m not being a smart Alec but how do you manage to play an acoustic if the tele hurts your ribs or belly ? Just curious, they’re thicker and bigger and more awkward when sitting down ?

Ebidis likes this.
  14. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Who mentioned “Hurts your ribs...”? Not me.

Simply because one guitar (Strat or Tele with a contoured body) is made more form fitting and ever-more comfortable to play as a result does NOT make it difficult nor “painful” to play a different guitar that is not form fitting and has sharp angular edges. There is a wide range of comfortable “playability” among the variety of guitars that one might choose to play. You can’t understand that? Some are more comfortable than others.

For me, a Tele without a contoured back is not uncomfortable to play, however, the ones with contoured back are even more comfortable and form-fitting to the body. These are matters of degree, not extremes. The comfort subject is not BLACK vs WHITE, there is a wide range of grey area along a continuum.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  15. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

That was meant for Doug M, sorry about that '

16. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

you can't fake it on a tele, you either can play or you can't

nicod98 likes this.
  17. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Because it's a Telecaster, of course! I'll admit I didn't read the whole thread, yet!
    Just My Wise A$$ $.02,
    Gene

Owenmoney likes this.
  18. jabsalt

jabsalt Tele-Meister

In my opinion (which of course is right * lol*) the tele doesn't do _____guitar, but I've found after all these years that by exploring the volume and tone knobs you can coax incredible amount of tones that can cover just about anything. The tele is not a turn to ten guitar and I think it takes a somewhat seasoned player to appreciate that. Maybe new players might just be maxing everything out and missing a lot of the in between possibilities.

19. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

are you hunched over? posture my dude!

20. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Great how people feel the need to tell other people how they should sit and play. I think most of us can work out how we like to sit and play and what feels comfortable and what not so much.

Leo Fender recognized that the Strat contoured body was a nice enhancement to a Tele slab body. Some may not appreciate that, but many do! I very much appreciate my Teles which have a contour on the back, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy my Teles that don’t.

DougM likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.