Why the hate for the neck pickup?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TeleToTheRain, Aug 13, 2014.

1. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

My Number 1 Tele has a Kinman pickups, a 4-way switch, and a TBX tone control. I can dial up about any tone I want, and use all 4 positions about equally.

2. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

On a Tele with OV pups I don't think this is true at all. There is plenty of top end on the neck pup, although there is also more fullness as well. I have no problem setting my amp and having it sound great with neck, bridge or both. A very judicious adjustment of the guitar's tone control can get me where I want to go either clean or with OD.

No hate for the neck pup here.

3. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I mainly use the bridge pickup and the middle for a clean sound.

However, I've discovered certain artists I love I can get a reasonable copy of their sound with the neck pickup. It was a revelation for me.

The biggest revelation for me was the middle position though. Where did that come from? Really, where? Utterly gorgeous and unexpected.

4. jhergert

jhergert Tele-Meister

+1 on this. To me that muffled sound is unusable. It didn't take me long to put in a Harmonic Design Ministrat. Now I have a great neck pickup and a much improved middle position.

5. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I'm talking generalities here. Of course there are always exceptions.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

+1

I hear you and........

I'm not happy about the profligate use of the "H" word.

I suppose next Esquire players will be accused of having "murdered" their neck pickups in cold blood.

I think we should use less bombastic terms.

7. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

before you swap next time, try removing the cover. I've remove some that were nite and day, going from utterly unusable to clear as a bell.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great advice for those not diggin' theirs right now!

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Amen...

10. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Although I'm a bridge pickup player most of the time on any guitar, I really like the sound of the neck pickup of a Tele. To me it has a certain responsive "spank" that is quite strat-like but at the same time more compressed. A great blues tone. I normally run the tone control at 75% for the bridge and max it out for the neck though.

11. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

As a standalone instrument the neck pickup is the one I prefer. It has deep mellow tones and just the right amount of brightness. BUT when you play in a band and that lower mid range is crowded by other guitar (s) and keyboards, the bridge pickup really shines. It is no longer thin but just right. It comes alive in it's own niche.

12. Green Funyuns

Green Funyuns Former Member

FWIW most Teles I've played, original vintage Fenders or otherwise, have a neck pickup that's set up far from optimally. As in, it's too far from the strings, or it's too close, or it's parallel to the pickguard, etc. I've found that any vintage-style Tele nick pickup can sound great if set a bit closer to the strings to balance its output to the bridge pickup, and set up at an angle so it's lower under the low E string than it is under the high E. Set up like that, the Tele neck can go toe to toe with any neck pickup out there.

13. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

Probably because the humbucker is much better.

14. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

The neck pickup gets used the most on my Tele's and les pauls.

15. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Hate for the neck pickup? How could someone hate that tone:

16. Bubblechunk

Bubblechunk TDPRI Member

Interesting bit from Dave Hunter's Tele book "While some players have been frustrated by the underwhelming tone from the Tele neck pickup,...the better ones can sound outstanding: warm, woody, thick and rich. 'If you looked up the definition of electric guitar', says guitarist Jim Campilongo, 'the neck position would be that...it just sounds like an acoustic guitar that's amplified. It's really beautifully organic.'"

17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, if I wanted warm, woody, thick and rich then I'd probably just buy a great pickup and stick it in my acoustic. I play electric guitar for the things you CAN'T get from an acoustic. Twang, growl, and (god forbid) cutting treble!:lol:

18. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

yeah

19. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Playing clean I use the neck most then middle(both) and seldom the bridge. In my case most likely Because back when I started playing guitar I used Jazz boxes with only a neck pickup. I actually got myself A LP Junior dc to force me to get the sounds I want out of the bridge in practice. I STILL rely on the neck pickup most.

20. donvito

donvito TDPRI Member

I love the Telecaster for what it is, and for what it is not. It is a perfect example of a simple, classic guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.