1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why the fascination with "older" guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digiplay, Dec 4, 2020.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

At my age I like older guitars and younger women.
    Mostly younger women, I ain't that old yet!

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

For way more years than I care to admit, I thought the newest latest most elaborate thing had to be the best. Over time:
    a) I've accumulated more than I need or really use effectively
    b) I've become more cynical about certain aspects of captialism
    c) I've started to realize that as far as guitars and equipment, above a certain level of complexity it's either not going to matter or it will have a negative impact.
    d) in spite of (a) I still buy things I don't need from time to time

Now as far as relics go, it was only recently at the local guitar shop that I noticed, I think it was an ESP Tele, with a "relic" paint job, and I was confused. "This doesn't look worn, it looks like it was made that way". I'm still confused by it.

I can see that manufacturers scored a bonus round as it is no longer necessary to avoid dropping guitars onto concrete floors prior to being shipped. I'm still wresting with the idea (as seen on Reverb and CL) of "heavy relic - mint condition".

3. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

Personally, I'm not really into "Older" guitars, but into used guitars rather than new ones.

I decided after I bought my Tom Anderson new back in '99, I'd never ever pay that much or buy another new guitar again.

I still look for good quality used guitars that i can get a great deal on whether it's and older or newer model.

Almost any older guitar can be set up properly to play as good as any new guitar, so there's no reason to pay new prices on guitars.

About 95% of my guitar/bass collection are good quality used instruments I got crazy good deals on.

To me it's all about getting the best deal on the best used instrument I can get my hands on.

4. Mirhass

Mirhass NEW MEMBER!

For my first post on TDPRI, let me share my opinion on this subject with a slightly longer than usual post.

I have read history of Fender’s early years over and over from various sources. In my humble opinion, 1953 Blackguard Telecaster was a legendary instrument and a revolutionary invention; anything before that (Esquire, Broadcaster, Nocaster or even ’52 Tele) is more of a prototype in my point of view. One of the best known ’53 Telecasters is Roy Buchanan’s “Nancy”. Roy (RIP) put Leo’s simplistic yet genius design to great use and unleashed most of its potentials. Nancy was naturally relic’d in the hands of the master and became an icon in blues history. You can read more about it in a great post by chasing guitars website:

https://chasingguitars.com/roy-buchanan-nancy-tribute-telecaster-project/

In the late ‘80s, Roy started using a custom made guitar (labeled Roy Buchanan Bluesmaster, made by Roger Fritz). He calls it the father, the son and the holy string!

In the video, he starts by saying “I have tried EVERYTHING!” and he goes on to explain why he loves his new guitar and what he was looking for in a guitar since ‘50s. Here is a list of features that impressed him the most:

- Locking tuners
    - Steel nut, similar to roller nuts
    - Jumbo fat frets
    - Cutaway at the neck heel
    - Three pickups (active EMG?)
    - Push pull, 4-way selector and fancy tone knob
    - Six individual chromed saddles on a modern bridge
    - Probably better access to truss rod

Well, that looks oddly similar to Fender Ultra or Elite, doesn’t it! Fender currently sells 70th anniversary Broadcaster for $100 more than the Ultra. Go figure.

I am guilty of owning several AVRI Tele and Strats, along with tens of deluxe, standard and MIMs (Tele junkie’s confession, LoL). But let me tell you a secret, I kept them for the resale value. I recently sold one for three times the price I paid used 10 years ago. The guy who bought it couldn’t hide his smile just because I gave it up slightly below current insane market value (quarantine fatigue, maybe), also I know how to set up a Tele, and I throw in a patch cord!! Guess which Tele I play all the time … the one I made from Canadian ash blank wood and put a Warmoth neck on it! Few years ago I had the opportunity to play a real vintage from late ‘50s, it was disappointing and encouraging at the same time that I couldn’t make the vintage sound better than my partcaster. That’s my playing limits, not the guitar, and I have been playing for years.

One last remark, Gary Moore’s signature (done by John Cruz) has 10” radius, alder body and 6100 jumbo frets; probably because Gary (RIP) had frets and fretboard re-done by a luthier so that he could play the damn thing! Yet I still hear people in music store complaining why fender does not re-issue vintage models with 7.25” fretboard and tiny vintage frets anymore! Some of the relic jobs on custom shop Fender Telecasters look like it has been played By Rory (RIP) for 100 years … it’s just not cool anymore!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.