Why The Decline In Guitar Forums Participation?

teletail

Friend of Leo's
For me it all comes down to respect. I respect the members here and I respect our mods. That doesn’t mean I don’t run afoul of the rules but I do try my best to keep this a positive place.
I'm in complete agreement. I hate when people are disrespectful because they don't agree with someone else. I don't know why people can't just move on to the next thread or put the person on their ignore list.

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
And indeed, we are, and without any mod challenges. I reckon if the insults don’t start flying, it’ll last until it dies a natural death. Many, many threads in here that don’t deal with gear.
Most of the Bad Dog stuff doesn't deal with the guitar. But, every thread takes on a life if it's own depending on what people add to it and if someone gets their shrit in a bunch or the poster isn't liked by the mods the whole thread will get nuked from orbit and all we're left with is the vanilla and boring threads. If you're not paying attention you'd never know they existed.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
Not much to add but I'll vouch for imposition of restrictive standards, which the mods have to enforce, as one factor that definitely squashes really active discussions -- for better or worse. I am not an online hothead and never insult others or use profanity, etc., but still found that on the AGF, even objective and constructive criticism of a guitar or disagreement with misinformation or someone's contention was instant grounds for blowback from their mods because it's a "family-friendly" (?) and only-positive forum. It's a snowflake forum, with some good info now and then but also some blowhards and, mostly, people just applauding each other's purchases. I like hearing about experiences and views different from my own -- it's called "learning" -- but most forums (the AGF is simply more extreme) do not support that function anymore. I'm sure it's driven in large part by fears about liability for hosting anything that could be contentious. Lots of forums, particularly those focused on new, politics, or general topics, have simply disappeared for this reason. That's America today -- people can't hold a discussion if everyone does not agree with each other. We may be a diverse country, but most do not know how to actually live with differences.

Lakeabilene

TDPRI Member
As a motorcycle parts counter guy, I welcome the day customers stop coming in armed with “knowledge” earned online. I cannot even imagine how medical professionals feel.
You should build houses for them. I get to live with them for months, with constant emails containing the 'knowledge' they just read on the internet. You can tell how brainless someone is when they just parrot everything from the web.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Most of the Bad Dog stuff doesn't deal with the guitar. But, every thread takes on a life if it's own depending on what people add to it and if someone gets their shrit in a bunch or the poster isn't liked by the mods the whole thread will get nuked from orbit and all we're left with is the vanilla and boring threads. If you're not paying attention you'd never know they existed.
I dunno…maybe you need to be on another, more lenient site? Their house, their rules…

Lakeabilene

TDPRI Member
Facebook has so many dedicated pages for various guitars, amps, manufacturers, pedals, its easy to find a niche "forum" to discuss these topics, with a nice comment thread format, and easy media sharing. Additionally, facebook has instant messaging built in, and great mobile apps. I hate looking at my news feed and barely use facebook to keep up with friends, but it is invaluable for finding niche discussion groups with extensive knowledge of specific subjects.
I see this situation as being a downgrade. FB is like drunks yelling out in a bar. You end up with someone asking the same questions every day, it's repetitious, shallow, and boring. So you have a thousand different thread/discussions and not one of them complete, and no way to find the best ones unless you read them all. In forums it was more like a group effort to build wikis and many pages of comments to completely discuss the subject. A group effort to build an information system about any issue imaginable. And folks might even come back a year later and necropost. In forums it was usually more organized, with the leaders of the forum showing their total number of posts like a power level, and more respect among members, in FB you don't usually recognize most members of a group and I see more harsh language and emotional responses. But the forums are indeed almost dead just like the news groups died slowly.

Lakeabilene

TDPRI Member
There are many popular platforms offering instant validation through consensus opinion, surveillance-based advertising tailored to consumers, and socially engineered dopamine distractions, all competing for attention.

My guess is that boards sought out primarily for specs, technical data, equipment, etc. are niche markets, with an older, and more affluent demographic.

Linear and critical thinkers have corners of the web to let their hair down, but interests that diverge from consensus opinion need to be pursued in a compartmentalized fashion, due to an increasingly fragmented and inhospitable curation of acceptable discourse.

Therefore, as lovers of cheese, extra-sharp cheddar in particular, we should be encouraged in our shared passion to tingle our palettes with brazen flavors, to not be afraid to tell Crackle Barrel’s dyed yellow monstrosities what for, and to never cease our adventures in search of the perfect curd!
inhospitable curation of acceptable discourse indeed

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
As a motorcycle parts counter guy, I welcome the day customers stop coming in armed with “knowledge” earned online. I cannot even imagine how medical professionals feel.
Two-edged sword. Well informed is good. I have a story about a patient’s mother’s insistence that helped me help me and my team help him recuperate. When I see them they give me the “credit“ I tell him “thank your Mom”.

But there are times when I‘ve been bombarded by really unusual things from the Internet which create conflict, mistrust and confusion.

If I say anything more I’ll be suspended

Last edited:

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
At the risk of being banned I find it
Impossible to ignore M5's assertion.
It certainly has taken too much time to call out the 500 lb. Gorilla
in the room.
Myself - what I'm wondering is WHO
OR WHAT currently controls TDPRI
... AND...what Board Of Governor's makes The Rules, chooses The Moderators and DECIDES to shut down a thread...
There is no board of governors. There is one guy who is owner operator of Enthused Digital.

He appoints the moderators.

I talked to him on the phone once.

BlueTele

Tele-Meister
Going back twenty years or so, I joined numerous guitar forums and there was a great amount of activity at every one of them. Then Facebook broke big and we saw a lot of guitar forum participants switch over to Facebook pages dedicated to specific guitars and brands.

But why haven't they come back? Why is there such a drastic drop in guitar forum participants? Is the simple answer guitars just ain't what they used to be?
I can tell you that on a daily basis, it really bugs the heck out of me to scroll through all of these posts that have nothing to do with guitars. People want to talk about the motor cycle or car; they want to talk about the best wood ships for their BBQ, or favorite fishing gear, etc. They clutter this "guitar" forum with their meaningless/mindless questions about this stuff. I wonder why they aren't going to their favorite motorcycle, car, BBQ, or fishing forums to ask their questions? I really only offer comments because I signed up to get updates and messages from TDPRI and the other well-known site, otherwise, I might already "be there too", not participating...not "seeking out" these forums. Something usually catches my I, and like now, I end up offering my comments to 5 or 6 different posts because I have experienced answers to their questions.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Well I wouldn't argue that it could never happen, but given that the vast majority of the people on this forum are American, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what you should and shouldn't post. If your post contains a political figure, any political point of view, attributing today's problems to one political party of the other, don't post it. It's really simple. Even easier; re-read your post and pretend someone on the other side of the political spectrum wrote the same thing blaming your party. How do you like it now?
Why assume people support either party?

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Going back twenty years or so, I joined numerous guitar forums and there was a great amount of activity at every one of them. Then Facebook broke big and we saw a lot of guitar forum participants switch over to Facebook pages dedicated to specific guitars and brands.

But why haven't they come back? Why is there such a drastic drop in guitar forum participants? Is the simple answer guitars just ain't what they used to be?
I suspect Covid. I used to come on here during work time. Then, working from home, I didn’t have the time!

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Thank God the important ones are still here if that hasn't been said by now.

We're blessed with some real characters and very knowledgeable people.

Area51

Tele-Holic

This isn't unique to guitar forums. I've seen the same in audio, biking, mtb'ing, photography, etc. IMO, it's a great way to share and learn. I'm not sure why they're not so popular except maybe it's not cool anymore.