1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why the current obsession, by some, of the weight of a guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digiplay, Apr 14, 2021.

1. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

It's clearly an internet issue. It gives guys something to talk about. Period.
    I've been playing for 60+ years and owned dozens of guitars, and never weighed, or named, a single guitar.

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

"Current "?
    Tele players have been obsessing with weight at least since 1995 (when I first joined this very forum).

MilwMark, Chicago Matt and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve got heavy guitars. I’ve got light guitars.
    Tone wise I have no real preference.
    Playing wise I pick up the light ones way more often. My shoulder and back thank me for it.

If I was in the market for a new amp it’d definitely light too. I’ve spent too much time trying to pick up an amp at the end of an evening that feels like someone has snuck round and bolted to the floor.

GeneB likes this.
  4. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Postal scale will do. I got a cheap one years ago b/c I was selling a lot of stuff online. Still going strong!

The balance is more important to me. But I don't play standing up ever, and I completely understand the need for relief. Everything else equal, I will take the lighter one.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

It's another symptom of the internet, like mis-aligned pole pieces on Strat pickups, for those that obsess over every tiny aspect of everything in their life. I've never weighed a guitar in over 50 years of buying and playing them. I prefer to concern myself with whether I like the way the play and sound.

6. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

I've been complaining about the weight of heavy guitars since the 1970's. Les Paul's have always been noticeably heavier than Strat's.

MilwMark and nojazzhere like this.
  7. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

You've never played a 10 PM-2 AM gig, have ya?

modavis99 and MilwMark like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

You already own one......go to your nearest Post Office, and they'll weigh it for you, FREE OF CHARGE.
    We have many new Post Offices with little self-service kiosks. If you're self conscious about asking P.O.staff to weigh your guitar, go in after hours, (the kiosks are available 24/7) and weigh it yourself.
    And, to the OP.......weight didn't use to bother me, until I started getting "older". (well, actually I've been getting older since I was born) And, at first, I wasn't really aware of a guitar's weight. I just started noticing after a long gig, my back and neck were "achy", especially the next day. I finally put two and two together, and realized WHY. So, at least for me, it wasn't the "power of suggestion" that some think.....it was working out a solution for an existing problem. ;)

black_doug likes this.
  9. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Lots of factors figure into the “feel” of an instrument. Neck shape and fret work would be priorities for me.
    If I had three equally great sounding guitars from which to choose, I would take the one that feels the best. Good balance and weight would certainly enter into the calculus.
    For the record, I am somewhat past the age of sixty years.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Hashtag chronic pain

nojazzhere and Jared Purdy like this.
  11. Esquire Jones

Esquire Jones Tele-Meister

One of Leo Fenders prototype Telecasters/Broadcasters was a two piece body that was carved out to have a hollow center.

Leo knew back then that there was a preference towards lighter guitars.

I read an account of Bill Carson who worked with Leo to test the first Strats. He complained about weight and other comfort issues. It was defintely discussed.

12. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

There are two lines of argument that I have read. Only one has any legitimate claim to reality. The first one, is as people get older, they don't like the weight if they have back or shoulder problems. Perfectly legit. Nuff said.

The second, and totally spurious argument that I see pop up from time to time, and it's usually from "newbies" is that tone is "better" with a lighter weight guitar. Right, try telling that to someone who's been playing boat anchors their whole life!!

My CS Strat and my CS R9 both weigh in at around 9 pounds, and so did the 52' Hot Rod Tele that I use to have. All of them sound fantastic.

I'm 61, I don't have back or shoulder issues, and I don't play out anymore. I sit down to play, so they could weigh 15 pounds each and it wouldn't make any difference to me.

If anyone has any arguments, just call Mark Bishop at Mark's Guitar loft and ask him. I have no doubt he could set you straight.

DougM and telemnemonics like this.
  13. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

It used to be in the earlier days of the internet that heavier guitars sounded “better”.

then, y’all got old. I’m following close behind.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  14. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

another guy getting older. that and my right leg goes numb if I'm just standing and not walking. more weight makes it worse

nojazzhere and telemnemonics like this.
  15. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi Turtleneck!

I bought this one on Amazon, and mine is accurate within 10ths of an ounce of what the expensive USPS/FedEx/UPS scales say what my items weigh when I drop them off with them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W7IOV4/?tag=tdpri-20

Jerry

16. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I went to amazon and looked up "hand held suitcase scales". I was really buying to weigh luggage when coming back from Jamaica as we always stock up and we don't want to get nailed with excess baggage fees. However, I have used it for all of my guitars, amps and bicycles. Handy little unit. I think it was $20. Very accurate.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

In the Baja 50s owners club forum there's a running thread about weight. If you have a Baja 50s you add your guitar and weight to a post and then repost. It's an obsession with some folks, for others it's just interesting to see the way weight trends or bounces around randomly. In that thread the weights range from 7 to 12 pounds, roughly.

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

4 sets a night will make you love a light guitar and a smaller, lighter load out.

that has been true since as long as I've been playing out.

With bands seemingly mostly old dudes and dad bands, that just gets accentuated.

dogmeat, MilwMark and nojazzhere like this.
  19. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

The weight of a guitar has never been a consideration.

Now that I'm 66...it still isn't.

:)

Obsessed likes this.
  20. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Seems like it’s at least equally relevant as the shape of the guitar and nobody questions whether that’s important . . .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.