WHY the argument, MIM vs USA ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by T Prior, Jan 12, 2019.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I just happen to be noodling around and there are countless UTubes of MIM vs USA...RECENT and I got to thinking..WHY, whats the point ? What is the message ?

My MIM is better than your USA, I spent $300 U spent $1200. evidently thats code for "You're an idiot" This has been going on it seems for a couple of decades.

Squire vs USA Fender, MIM vs USA Fender, It's like a long movie.

Both camps argue specs back and fourth evidently in an attempt to win over the other guys and PROVE once and for all who the winner is.

I purchase USA, because I want to. I have owned several off shore and over the border guitars, they were fine , no issues. But they are gone. I don't purchase off shore or over the border guitars any more because I DON'T want to. I have no clue as to whether my guitars are better than yours but I do know this, you also don't know if your guitars are better than mine ! And quite frankly I don't care !

The argument is basically the same as is Vanilla better than Chocolate or do I want Cheese on that Burger or not ?

If PRICE is the primary concern then YES, one has an edge. But arguing play- ability for one person over another is kinda crazy. "You 1000 players over there, my guitar plays better than yours "

I guess I'm wondering why after a couple of decades, why are we still arguing one vs the other ? Whats the purpose of a SHOOTOUT video MIM vs USA ? Or Squire VS USA.

How come there are no Squire VS MIM ? My Squire is better than your MIM ?

Anyone who makes a video saying play-ability and tone are exactly the same, well, thats subjective and an opinion. Put those guitars in 500 players hands and you may get 250 varied opinions. Put it in YOUR hands and thats the opinion that matters.

Some of my friends who get a new guitar always lead with..This is just as good as your XXX... and they are pretty nice guitars, thats not the issue.

So ..WHY ?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Some people are insecure.
    Some people need validation.
    Some people like to argue.
    Some people are know it all's and need to explain why you are doing it wrong.
    Some folks are right.

Boubou, Slip Kid, ftbtx and 16 others like this.
  3. Rjelecaster

Rjelecaster Tele-Meister

Not sure, Im on the fence regarding this whole Mexico-USA issue.

Boubou, faasie85, Kebmel and 25 others like this.
  4. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

Well, I think if you spend $ 1,000 on a guitar you want it to be better than a $ 300 guitar and if you spend $ 300 you want it to be just as good as a $ 1,000 guitar. Nobody wants to be 'that idiot' who got either the 'cheap' or the 'overpriced' guitar. I got both and love them both. Not sure what that makes me....:confused:;)

5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

And fwiw, both my tele's are American made. As are 3 of my acoustics.
    I aslo have two MIJ acoustics that I love precisely because they are great guitars that I bought cheap.

Fendereedo likes this.
  6. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

In my experience you get what you pay for. I wish it would be different.

Jakeboy and Fendereedo like this.
  7. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Not my experience.

You pay what you pay. You get what you get. Often there is a correlation. Not always.

Don't give 'em any ideas!

Ydwin and plowboy have both touched on the answer.

The technical term is "post purchase cognitive dissonance".

8. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted

Let's not forget the causality between a MIM laquer - and a MIA poly finished guitar , which will change everything sound wise :cry:

9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

How many made in the US Telecasters have been rebadged as Squiers?

10. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It's the effect of the internet and social media- everyone is so insecure that they need constant validation of everything they do, and if everyone else isn't duly impressed and agree with them on every aspect of life, they are pond scum, and don't deserve to live. I find it quite sickening, yet I sometimes find myself falling into the trap and acting that way here and on other gear forums. The only thing that matters is what makes you happy. If you like Teles more than Strats, and I like Strats more than Teles, or if you don't hear a difference between alder and ash, or between maple and rosewood boards, and I do, then that's OK. Neither of us should feel compelled to have to convince the other that they're wrong, and we're right. Because we're both right. What works for me works for me, and what works for you works for you. As far as the origin of guitars goes- I've had American guitars I liked and ones I didn't like, and the same goes for every other country of origin.

Bassman8, bftfender, stevemc and 5 others like this.
  11. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Exactly! My guitars are the best for me! And, with the exception of one acoustic instrument, are all made in America, mostly by yours truly. I no longer purchase guitars, preferring to build my own.

12. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

It's called comparison shopping. To the OP-do you buy the first guitar you see, or do you look at two or more before you buy one? If you do, why would you do that?

GGardner and T Prior like this.
  13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the background, you can hear the sound of a horse being slowly beaten to death......

14. RegularJim

RegularJim TDPRI Member

Is a Mercedes-Benz better than a Honda?

To me, that means which one will go the most miles without giving me trouble.
    To some, that means which one has the softest leather and real burled wood inserts in the dash.
    To others, that means which one can I fit the most children and luggage into, or which one can I get around a track in the fastest time, or which one will impress my friends and clients... You get the idea.

I'll say that a Mercedes has more features and appointments and is "nicer" and definitely has some perks that may make you feel good. But (assuming you follow local ordinances) it probably won't get your kids to school or your groceries back home to the fridge any quicker, or go more worry-free miles than a "lesser" car.

I believe this "nicer vs. better" concept also applies to guitars. That is, where high-dollar handcrafted guitars are a premium luxury item, not a necessity.

Thanks for reading.

stevemc, DHart, Kreepy and 3 others like this.
  15. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

My last and only word on this tired old subject mate, will be

Tokai :p

Tony474, Mase, suthol and 2 others like this.
  16. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Recently, I bought a MIM Precision, just because that was I'd pay for. It's good enough for me, I'm happy. End of story.

About the common people, Aesop's Fox and the Grapes tale is fully applicable and explain the majority of comparisons...

Fiesta Red and RegularJim like this.
  17. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

That horse died a long time ago. :lol:

I buy what I like regardless of where it’s made or what it costs. The rest snobbishness and envy.

18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I've had two MIA standard stratocasters, later two MIM standard stratocasters, and right now I have one MIM Classic Players 60's stratocaster.

Bear in mind that I am not a very discerning player when it comes to "feel" of instruments, unless one is really bad or really good. The MIA strats I had did not "feel", play, or sound any better than the MIM strats. But when I bought the MIA's, I was not aware that MIM's existed (maybe they didn't....), and I would have gone MIM otherwise. My guess is that with MIA you're paying for the U.S. wages, better hardware, etc. But again, I could not tell the difference.

The MIM Classic Players 60's stratocaster has its own thing going. The neck feels completely different. I does "feel" a lot different than the MIM standards.

My conclusion is this: The MIA is likely a better guitar overall than the MIM. Whether it's $600 better is debatable, and that's thy all those YouTube videos exist.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    thesamhill likes this.
  19. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted

Double post , sorry

20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I stopped believing this was 100% true when I saw people receiving Pet Rocks as gifts in the 1970's...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.