Why Telecaster?

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I'm a better guitarist on my Telecaster.

I will admit there are several variables. One is that my other two electrics are "economy" models. Or it might be the maple fretboard with 9 1/2" radius on my Tele that the other two don't have. I might be just as good a player on a Fender Player Stratocaster with maple fretboard and 9 1/2" radius. But I do love my Tele.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
i have a bit of a fetish for barebones, rugged, faithful, "set the standard" things. thinkpads, zippo lighters, etc. tele is the guitar that fulfills that.

it took a long time to find a good tele. most i played felt like driving a honda civic. i actually bought a jazzmaster before i bought the tele. so i didn't pay them attention for a while. it wasn't until i played a coworker's really nice one that i "got it."

the one i took a chance on (sight unseen) turned out to be one of my best purchases.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
I bought a black Telecaster simply because my favourite guitarist's at the time played one - Joe Strummer (Clash), Hugh Cornwell (Stranglers), Daniel Ash (Bauhaus) & Wilko Johnson. Four very diverse musicians.
I also have a Yamaha SG1000 because of Stuart Adamson, Midge Ure, Jake Burns & John McGeoch.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm afraid there isn't much of anything that's psychologically deep with my (now) preferences for Teles.

I was originally into Strats, up through most of my twenties. I've just always preferred Fender'ish single coils over humbuckers or other types of pickups.

I just could not stand the set neck of a Les Paul, or really any other guitar that didn't have a bolt-on neck.

I've also never cared for stuff like neck/fretboard binding, fancy hardware, or fancy fretboard inlays.

So Strats really did kind of work well for me for some of my younger years, but I honestly didn't care for the whammy bar or the middle pickup. And blocking the trem has always just kind of seemed kludge'y to me. I also never liked that a stock Strat didn't have a tone control on the bridge pickup. I've had no problems modding Strats, but it would have been cool to just have a Fender with a tone control for the bridge pickup from the factory.

After spending a lot of time trying out various Teles in the music store on various occasions, I finally got one at the tail end of my twenties. Not only did it do the things that a Strat didn't fulfill for me, but I found the Tele bridge pickup to sound even better than a Strat one, and I also ended up liking all three pickup settings.

The full transition from Strat to Tele still took many more years for me though. At first, I still had to have a Strat neck pickup and pickup switch tip (as is witnessed by my old avatar pic, at the time I type this, anyway), and I've also gone back and forth with my bridge preferences. I currently prefer the modern style bridge with the 6 cast saddles.

Also, as the years have gone on, I've also gotten another Strat or two, and now have a couple of Tele-like guitars with humbuckers in them. But despite that, I still gravitate more towards playing just a typical, semi-traditional type of Tele.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
My first two electrics were cheap POS S-types. I bought a beat up 59 Strat and a even more beat up 60 LP Standard in 1968. Two years later I bought a LP Deluxe (after selling both the beat up guitars for a whopping $250.00 profit) and played LPs and SGs exclusively for almost 30 years.

Somebody, on another forum, mentioned he had a tele for sale and I bought it. A great price for a MIM Classic 50s tele in white blonde with a maple neck. It was love at first sight. There is nothing about it I don’t like. Comfortable to play, sounds great, very versatile, and very sexy.

I’ve said for years you can cover a lot of musical ground with a tele and a SG

Brannon1986

TDPRI Member
Back in the 70s, I was a kid, into KISS, Peter Frampton, which ACE used a Les Paul, and thats what made me want to play guitar. I wanted a Les Paul really bad, because the Les Paul was very popular back then anyway. In the late 70s-early 80s(which was my favorite time for music) I was into New Wave. In the mid to late 80s, I was into Hair band metal stuff, and wanted(and had) Kramer, Charvel. I have been playing guitar now for over 40 years(im 55) and I have had Les Pauls, Kramers, Charvel, Fender strats, teles, Suhr, Tyler, you name it, I had it back then. If I had the money I spent on all that crap back then, I could take early retirement now. Oh well. I said all that crap to say this, I sold all that stuff years ago, and left playing guitar for about 10 years. Now, I kind of want to start back playing again, so I bought two teles the other day. Not just teles, but(wait for it) Squire teles. Yes, SQUIRE teles, because I could give a ratts butt about what is on the headstock. I am over that now in life. YEs, Squire teles, so there.....Who would have thunk it.

Oh yeah, Im still a big late 70s-early 80s new wave fan. Love the Plimsouls and the Cars. Elliot Easton is the man.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Meister
while living a life with an until recently diagnosed invisible passenger.

Really curious what you meant by this OP, if you feel inclined to share. The first part of your post sounded like it could have been written by myself. I've been that way my whole life.

I like Teles because they're no bull**** guitars. I'm a fan of humor, truth, music, etc that is dressed down and delivered without frill. That, to me, is the Fender Telecaster.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
Really curious what you meant by this OP, if you feel inclined to share. The first part of your post sounded like it could have been written by myself. I've been that way my whole life.

I like Teles because they're no bull**** guitars. I'm a fan of humor, truth, music, etc that is dressed down and delivered without frill. That, to me, is the Fender Telecaster.
The "Invisible Passenger" was the diagnosis of ASD I had at 50 a few years ago, along with the effects of late teenage brain injury that just seemed to turn my previous "oddness" up to 11.