1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why stick with 3 saddles ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TC 57, Apr 18, 2021.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The load provided by the tensioned string is heavily offset, and often there's not enough pressure to freeze the "offside" height screw in place and it gets to moving around and pretty soon some saddles are being held in place, mostly by the neighboring saddle. As one plays, the tension changes and given enough enthusiastic play, parts start coming off and hitting it stage floor. When I see strings hung up on a "six hammer saddle" bridge, sometimes they're barely restraining a piece of hardware. I've often suggested that to use this "six hammer saddle" bridge, you have to have your tech standing by for most of the show, prepared to hand you a backup guitar once something's gone far enough off the tracks.

2. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I have 2 Teles, both with three saddle set up. I get very close to perfect intonation without compensated saddles - well beyond what my ear can detect.
    I don’t plan to change anything.

3. TC 57

TC 57 Tele-Meister

This is my Tele bridge...tuned to the 9th degree! it's being able to raise individual strings..but not everyone agrees.. strings are 9-42

Attached Files:

yegbert likes this.
  4. TC 57

TC 57 Tele-Meister

if you look at mine...strings never move.. could do with being a bit beefier..

5. TC 57

TC 57 Tele-Meister

6. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You don't have a problem with the saddles separating and buzzing?

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

3 is cooler

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

@TC 57 .....I'm having a little trouble following your replies to my posts. If your last one said the Thorn Brass Knuckle (one piece) saddle would not conform to the fingerboard radius.....it actually does. You order the Thorn by your specific radius. They make several different ones. In my case, my Warmoth neck is a compound radius, 10"-16", so I ordered the saddle for 10" radius. Works jus fine. ;)

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, I have noticed that the 6 hammer saddle, does all right with 11s, 12s and so forth for some folks, assuming the guitar is not then detuned. I think part of the misadventure was, the 6 hammer saddle bridge is associated with the great James Burton, and he was a pioneer in using thin strings. My sense is, he got away with it because his touch was never harder than it needed to be. This is an extension of the old saw about 'So and So did this and it worked for him'. Really gifted folks have a way of walking on water, when most of us cannot and so they're not always IMO the best template. :^)

10. TC 57

TC 57 Tele-Meister

depending on your set up, if they are set too low, the strings may shift, but , set at right height, and making sure all 12 grub screws butt against the plate top, then I've not had buzzing. I had to modify mine as you can see and replace springs with nuts. The ideal would be Strat style saddles in ashtray plate..but I don't think I've seen one yet...

11. telemystix

telemystix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

These kinds of questions - ALWAYS - provide ME - with a reason to give my "standard" answer:

I can suck just as badly with six saddles as I do with 3 saddles!

I choose the 3 saddle suckage, thank you very much!

JIMMY JAZZMAN and MickM like this.
  12. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

Just here to stir the pot a bit...

download-3.jpg
    Mastery 2 saddle bridge

13. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

When Leo got to Music Man and later G&L, he developed several 6 saddle tele models, recognizing the whole situation. The traditional bridge does seem to have a little more spank though.

Mowgli likes this.
  14. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

When the modern 6 shooter teles were made with their long block shaped saddles, they made the saddles longer apparently to avoid interference with intonation screws; and those longer saddles don’t have enough room on most bridge plates of design as short as true vintage ones.

But I put the block center-screwed saddles on a Joe Barden plate that was made as a hybrid vintage/AmStd plate; and I think you could also on the similar newer Kluson hybrid, and with Strat style saddles on either (longer Joe Barden or Kluson hybrid).

15. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

TC 57, here it is!

CC659A04-3A59-42A0-AD54-9486BC86B34E.jpeg

nojazzhere and northernguitar like this.
  16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I didn’t read much of this thread, but I’ll say that I like solid bar bridges in many situations. That’s a whole thing unto itself. The 3-saddle Tele is taking a bite into that, intended or not, as is the Mastery or Fender RSD offset bridge. I saw a single saddle cyclops Tele on this forum once, same train of thought.

Bar bridges make sense on a hollowbody, but only that it increases sustain and kills buzz. It takes away from the thunk and quick decay of a real hollowbody. How about a well-made Melita with Micarta saddles? :D On a Tele, is that really necessary? Nah. 6, 3, whatever. I keep 3 because it’s the way the Tele was made, so I’m traditional in that sense. “Perfect” intonation is a pipe dream anyways, and it’s not going to matter when I bash some chords out :)

17. Willy-son

Willy-son Tele-Meister

Because they are rock solid, intonate perfectly and I rarely go out of tune. Why these threaded gems didn’t come stock on my American Original 60s is a mystery to me.
    85580E2F-4D36-40F5-910D-4BDD14489FA5.jpeg

northernguitar likes this.
  18. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

For me, whether it has three or six saddles is less important than the saddles being brass. That said, I tend to go with three saddles.

19. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I like the six saddle option over than the vintage. Either can get the job done, though.

I'm not attached to anything on a guitar having to be "correct" in some specific historical manner, I just want to like what I see, feel, and what I hear.

20. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Been setting intonation for decades. Adjustment on every string, on some instruments, is nice. But for me, not on Tele or P-bass. I totally dig those original bridge designs. Its part of the outcome and vibe.

Willy-son likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.