1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why stick with 3 saddles ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TC 57, Apr 18, 2021.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Use 3-saddles if you have the barrel style.
    Improve intonation with compensated 3-saddles. You can buy inexpensive ebay brass saddles and use a file to cut the intonation slots yourself.

Avoid using 6-saddles barrel-style because they rattle against each other. That's the main problem going to six barrels.

Use 6-saddle block-style or stamped-style for more accurate intonation. Some bridge plates are designed better for longer/shorter blocks so if swapping to barrels you may need longer intonation adjuster screws or shorter springs.

Some players like to mix: steel saddle on the low strings and two brass saddles on the high string.

2. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

D'you know, I've never looked at mine, let alone counted them.

20210418_132556.jpg

3. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Because it's retro-cool, I guess.

I have modern chrome six-saddle dealeos on my Teles, but that's just me.
    I like to keep the intonation closer to perfect than you can get with the three barrel set up.

(Dealeos. That's a technical term. Look it up.)

:oops:

stnmtthw, 5haun, RobRiggs and 2 others like this.
  4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Perfect intonation on a guitar is a myth.

5. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

In theory, 6-saddle will give you better intonation.

In practice, however, there ain't no perfect intonation. On ANY instrument. It's all a compromise. I think that's what Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier was about.

6. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve found the book 'why equal temperament ruined music and why you should care' fascinating and it explains a lot of this.

7. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’ve had a six-saddle thinline since I was sixteen, and have bought a six-saddle deluxe and a Squier bullet tele since then, but I never owned an ashtray bridge tele, so I built a partscaster. It plays and intonates just fine, and I like the traditional looks. My only hang up is that I have to get used to the “lip” of the bridge plate on the bass side - I hit it with my pick or thumb sometimes, but it’s not really a problem, and that’s not even a saddle issue.

My dad’s hero as a kid was Richard Boone in “Have Gun, Will Travel,” so he always wanted (and got) a cap gun with a holster that had a slot for “Wire Paladin” business cards. A lot of our heroes growing up played three saddle telecasters, so some of us want to play telecasters with three saddles.

Fendereedo and El Tele Lobo like this.
  8. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

I have 3 and 6 saddle Teles and I never think about the saddles. As long as I have a Tele in my hands, I am happy ;)

9. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

I’ve gotten used to resting my hand on the 3-saddle bridge plate. Feels funny when playing a guitar without one. Plus it looks better than the 6-saddle version. Lastly, my sense of pitch is not very good so even though all my vintage bridges intonate well, there is no way I could tell the difference between the two.

10. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had this bridge initially on my Tele. It was terrible. If you strummed to hard they became separated and rattled and I'd have to push them together. On occasion the high E would flip side ways. I replaced it with the Wilkinson compensated 3 barrel bridge. I love them. I put the same one on my Esquire build. Great bridges and no problem intonating.

6 barrel.jpg Wilkinson 3 brass.jpg

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Your choices are more than three vs. six saddles.....how about ONE? I've had Telecasters with six and three saddles (compensated) and since I prefer top-loading my strings, the three seems to work better. But one of mine currently has a Thorn Brass Knuckle bridge, patterned "sort-of" after a Les Paul Jr's lightning bar bridge......and it works perfectly well. The only issue I have is it's no better than the three saddle set-up, and so it doesn't justify the $80 price. I don't have a pic of mine, but here's an ad for them.
    BTW.....one day I want to build a "Tele" with a Les Paul Jr configuration.....probably my favorite design. ;)

[​IMG]

Mad Kiwi, MickM, matrix and 9 others like this.
  12. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Poster Extraordinaire

Cause it just looks cool!

13. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Someday, when I own a three barrel T, I'm gonna put this to rest for myself. Today is not that day:(.

Fendereedo and nojazzhere like this.
  14. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I never seen this type, but like you said I don't see the advantage. Intonation and string height adjustment seems more limited

cyclopean, Fendereedo and nojazzhere like this.
  15. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

The fewer parts the better for a Telecaster, IMO.
    The Stratocaster was more complex in every way, the six-saddle bridge worked better with the new vibrato system.

slimfinger and Fendereedo like this.
  16. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Just an appearance thing for me, and I prefer three saddles.

Some six saddle versions have problems with rattling.

Some folks have problems with intonation with three saddles, but compensated saddles address that very well. I don't have "bat's ears", so three straight saddles are fine for me.

stnmtthw and Fendereedo like this.
  17. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

A few observations:

We probably didn't see Tele bridges on Strats because the Strat's bridge design was designed for and incorporated into Leo's Tremelo system.
    The Tele design is one of very few that got it right from the beginning and went unchanged for decades.
    The Tele design is incredibly simple and robust. Less parts means less chances for failure and easier manufacture.
    Most players rarely play chords above the 12th fret.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it

It is my view that most players need to learn to play a Tele. The 3 saddle bridge is part of that.

Wobbles, Fendereedo and Jim622 like this.
  18. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

I'm considering a 3 barrel for the reason stated above... it just looks cool.

I'm not even concerned about proper intonation, tbh. As long as it's close.

19. maj34

maj34 Tele-Holic

That Leo wasn't a player is not relevant in my mind. He obviously knew how to design a guitar (invented a lot of it) and he engaged with great players for feedback.

To answer you question:
    - Aesthetics.
    - To replicate classic tones that were recorded with 3 barrels and therefore exhibit the nuances of intonation in a 3 barrel.
    - Because it jives with the minimalistic/utilitarian attitude of a telecaster.
    - Because I can go with compensated barrels if I want to get closer to perfect.
    - Because it came on the guitar

In no particular order for me anyway.

20. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

What are you saying Willis? Are you saying that there are other bridges and saddles for a Telecaster? If so, then they aren't for a real Telecaster. ;)

Attached Files:

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.