why so much hatred for the Hot Rod Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by evol04gt, May 10, 2009.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Cork Sniffer Syndrome.

There are those who believe that if it doesn't pack 6L6's, it isn't really a Fender.

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

But the Hot Rod is 6L6 (unless I'm missing something)

THere is nothing wrong with the HRD, really.

To ME, what is disappointing, is the drive channel that could be sweeter. (but well; this could be said of any amp, really. Matter of taste)

jimash likes this.
  3. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I just find it to be a harsh amp and the drive channel was unusable to my ears. Much rather have a Peavey Classic for that kind of sound.

4. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

if I'm not mistaken, the HRD has been the #1 selling tube amp for ages. It would have been nice if FMIC made improvements to this amp, to make it even more desirable.

I understand, of course, those who would say "if it aint broke, etc..." why fix it?

It's not a particularly expensive amp - at around $650. Also to be honest, we're at the 3rd or 4th version

THe nice thing about it, it's there & can be a stepping stone into good tube amp sound

I would improve the drive channel - BUT maybe that would make for an expensive amp?

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve never owned a HRD, but I’ve played through my son-in-law’s a number of times. He got his years ago, around 2001 or 2002, don’t remember for sure. So I don’t know offhand if his is a version I or II. I’ve only played through it at his house, so I’ve never played it at gigging volumes. And I haven’t played through it enough to know how to best make use of the amp’s features, particularly the Drive/More Drive thing, so I can’t definitively speak to the amp’s tone or features.

What I can speak to is the amp’s durability. Far from being unreliable or prone to breaking down, his has had no issues whatsoever in over a decade’s worth of use. (He bought an Orange head/cab rig earlier this year, so I’m guessing the HRD gets less play these days, but still…it served him well without so much as a hiccup for years.)

6. jazzalta

jazzalta Tele-Meister

Hatred is a pretty harsh word to describe this product. I have the 3rd version of this fine amp and have absolutely no issues. I don't use the drive channel as I have a pedal for overdrive. I have used many amplifiers in my 40+ years of playing, and this model ranks just below the Fender Twins I used to own for clean shimmering tone. So much love here for one of Fender's great products.

7. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

The only 2 things about it I didn't like were how linear it was, (easily fixable with a 12au7 in V1), and it's overall weight. But it is one of the better sounding amps out there, especially at that price point. The tube switch on V1 can make an amazing difference in adjustability of the gain, and overall volume control! Can't do much about the weight thing tho...LOL

8. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I don't hate the hotrod deluxe, or the tweed one either. I do , or at least did, find them a bit harsh. I think they sound good with P90s.
    But they seem to be a standard item that you run into because bang for buck , and they are good reliable amps.

9. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

I didn't hate mine. Loved it playing at home but it seemed to thin out at gigs. Looking back at the time I had a lot of variables working against it in that band. I could probably make one work now for what I do.

I have a twin reverb reissue and I have fonder memories of the Hot Rod Deluxe than I do with my Twin.

Mine was an older USA model.

10. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I had one for 20 years. It was fine, just too loud and heavy for me now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.