why so much hatred for the Hot Rod Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by evol04gt, May 10, 2009.

1. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I saw Kenny Loggins a couple of years ago and his guitarist was using two of them on stage.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I just can't help but visualize the only time I saw Loggins in concert....sometimte in the mid-80's IIRC. I laughed out loud when he did
    a flying Aphrodite pose on top of the grand piano....looking for all the world like a feminine hood ornament on a car from the late '40's- early '50's. I have no idea what amps his guitarists were using at the time....and couldn't care less. I am still laughing at that scene...

3. mojoming

mojoming Tele-Meister

Cool looking tolex on that amp, did you do that?

About 5W amps, it depends on the band. You sit in with a bluegrass group 5W's is too loud. Mellow groups it might just fit in. If you plug a 5W amp into a 2x12", 4x10" or 4x12" cab that has efficient speakers it's plenty loud for most bands that are not doing Metallica covers.

What hinders little 5W combos are those tiny inefficient speakers that most come stock with. Most are shipped with really crappy ones to cut costs. Not to mention I hear guys "upgrading" these to original vintage or vintage clone speakers that are usually worse (in efficiency) than the ones that shipped with the amp to begin with. You would be surprise at how much more volume and bass that can be had out of these with an upgrade to a modern efficient speaker. Think about it, there's car stereos that shake the earth with very efficient modern 4" speakers. ;)

4. soltwanger

soltwanger Tele-Holic

not really, most people will agree the amps sound good when you plug a guitar straight in and play alone; but just due to the nature of the frequency response from the accumulated factors such as valves/cab/speaker etc, these amps do NOT cut through a live mix, rather they muddy it up beyond recognition and cause the guitarist to annoy everyone else by cranking it too high in order to distinguish single notes. This has been the case for every single time (probably 50 odd) i have seen a band with a guitarist using an HRD. mods and pedals can fix it (i sometimes use a deville for gigs and it sounds fine) but the sound of the amp on it's own is horrendous in a mix.

johnnycrash is right, it's easy to be snobby about these. especially when you can get a real 60's blackface bassman for less then the price of a new hot rod deluxe.

5. podboy3

podboy3 Tele-Afflicted

Friend had an HRD and I really wanted to hate that amp but couldn't. It really is (at least his was) a solid amp with none of the problems that people complain about..

As was mentioned above some tubes, a bias change, and then we messed with different tubes for the first pre amp tube and after a lot of going back and forth we ended up putting a 5751.

There are about a dozen amps I would rather have but for the money they are nice amps.

6. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Never mind - found a schematic for the footswitch and amps at Fender (duh, look there first). It's 2 conductor, and the manual says it should be "speaker" wire, not guitar cable (i.e., shielded/coax).

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  7. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Even more appropo: As opposed to expensive amps that people play at home. :D

8. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Tele-Afflicted

Huh ?

I don't get why a thread about why people don't like an amp makes people who do like the amp get pissed. :rolleyes:

The poster asked "why so much hate" and so do I.

I also don't get why those same people don't think that a well made,hand wired amp is not as good as their favorite cheap amp (pro junior,blues junior,hrd,vintage 30,etc.)

No love for well made amps ?

JJ

9. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Well, for me, it's the sweeping statements like "unusable" that bug me. We could have a discussion of the shortcomings of an amp, or we can just spew bile. Why it had to be bile is beyond me. It could have been "because the OD is too fuzzy for me" instead of "the OD murdered my family."

I've seen probably hundreds of HRDs come across stages that I've been responsible for. None of them has ever held a guitarist back, and in fact, one of my favorite bands uses one - including the OD channel, and makes it work - very, very well.

10. moodus2006

moodus2006 Tele-Meister

BOOOOO! You suck!

11. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I used one when I was in a 3 piece wedding band about 8 or so years ago. It wasn't the sort of band where running thru the PA was feasable (don't ask...) so I needed something that would fill big rooms and halls on its own. A HRDX with a Celestian Vintage 30 did the trick. Never had a problem with it. Found that putting a different tube like a JJ or something in the middle preamp position made the OD channel a lot smoother so I didn't need any pedals. I used it with a Yamaha SG1000 for a few years and then I went telecaster. No problems and sounded good, I thought.

But after changing bands I started using a Blues Junior since it was more suitable. Onstage volumes were low and everything went thru the PA...including me. Could never turn up the HRDX enough to 'work' with them.
    I sold it off since it would've just sat in the shed the past however-many years.

Now I'm in a 'big' band again I still prefer a smaller onstage amp miced thru the PA (or even thru a larger speaker cabinet), but should I ever decide I need a more powerful amp I'd consider a HRDX again.

12. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Kenny Chesney played Letterman last night if anytbody noticed, his guitar player had two HotRod Devilles. They might not be stock but hey....

13. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

the HRD is rumored to have sold more units than any amp in the history of the world ... it must have something going for it ...

14. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

Well, thank you for that well thought out, fully formed and lucid argument. Perhaps you could elucidate in the argo of the erudite as to the nature of your comment, and your critique of my post. Inquiring minds want to know.

15. tele_jas

tele_jas Tele-Afflicted

Why?? Cuz they suck!!

Just kidding...... I've played them on many ocassions and I like them, never owned one but would have nothing against owning one.

16. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I owned HRDLX for about five years. In that time period, I was gigging anywhere form 3-6 all nighters a week. Averaged about 5 nights a week most of the time. My observations-

This amp is reliable to a fault. I never had a breakdown. Not once. I had to replace the power tubes six times, and a couple of the pre-amp tubes, but as much as I beat it, I am not complaining. This amp lived in the trunk of my car, or on stage. It never once in all that time was dragged into my house. No matter what the temperature or anything was like. I would often hear it slide across the trunk and bang into something on a sharp curve or the like. It was dropped several times, backed into by a van and knocked over hard on it's face, and four years into it, the rubber handle ripped off, and it went carthweeling down some stage stairs. It never failed to fire up. that's the only reason I kept it so long.

As for sound, eh, I've certainly had better. The clean channel is "ok". It's overly bassy, and the high end is extremely harsh and clangy. Contrary to what's been said here, I never had any trouble cutting through a mix with it at any indoor gig. It cut like a damn razor. Outdoors, it was lost. Just gone on the wind, completely in-audible. And the louder you crank it, the more splatty and edgy and awful sounding it gets. If you can keep it around four on the volume, you can get some very useable tones out of it. any higher than that, and the tone starts coming apart on you. Just not a pleasent sound. The OD channel is just plain awful. Just like a bunch of glass breaking in my ear. If you like that sound, then you'll enjoy it. I don't like that sound. I like a much warmer, smoother OD. I never gave much thought to the reverb one way or the other. I don't use much, so I really didn't notice anything overly good or bad about it either way. It was reverb. It worked for me.

I finally moved on to greener pastures, but in spite of all I've said here, I don't hate these amps. I would own another one. The reliabitlity factor alone was more than worth the price of admission for somebody who gigs as much as I did in those days. The amp was positively bullet proof, and the tone, while not my ideal tonal wet dream, was more than adequate for the bar bands I was playing in, and in fact, got me lots of compliments.

People love to hate things based on nothing more than other's opinions and perceptions sometimes. Some of the folks here on this site I highly respect, they know what they are talking about. No question, and I agree with a lot of their observations. Doesn't change the fact that this amp is a first class workhorse. Others, some anyhow, I have a sneaking suspicion are in the camp of "my amp costs a million bucks, and was hand-soldered by gypsy virgins in the Pyrenese mountains, so there is no way you can get a good tone out of anything less." Regardless of the fact that in a blind sound test, they probably couldn't pick out their amp against yours.

It all comes down to utility vs. price as well. I play Peavey SS amps these days. partially for the reliability factor once again, and partially because they sound freakin' great. I think of them a lot like I thought of HRDLX. Does a $3,000 handwired boutique tube amp sound better than my Hot Rod, or my current Peavey? YES. A resounding yes. Does it sound more than $2,000 better? Not a chance in a million years. As a player, and not a collector, I don't buy art. I buy tools. and the HRDlx is a great tool for your average (or better than average) gigging player.

17. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How many times did you have to tab back and forth to dictionary.com to complete your post?

While there, you might want to check out "sarcasm" and "humor."

18. indiobravo

indiobravo Tele-Afflicted

now that's a proper review.

19. loopy reed

loopy reed Friend of Leo's

Any experience I've had with an HRD has been pretty pleasant. Most of the time I don't really like the 410 open-back sound but the HRD does it pretty well. Never used anything other than the clean channel, which is passable (I had to borrow two different HRD's). I cannot stand the "more drive" channel. It's just too fake sounding for me.

I own a Blues Deville 212, one of the earlier ones. Apparently I got an unreliable one - here are some problems I've had with it:
    1. Had to replace both input jacks twice, they broke free from the PCB (imo the main issue with PCB's)
    2. Original tubes were too weak, they were replaced
    3. The fuse will not stay in its holder
    4. Lamp has gone out and come back at least three times
    5. Same with the other lights for "bright" and "drive"
    6. Currently inoperational - no idea what the problem is. The tubes burn bright blue and there is no sound.

Also, this isn't a problem with the amp itself, but about a week after I got it, a friend's cat took a s**t on it. So the tweed was replaced...should have taken that as a sign and sold the damn thing.

Despite all those problems, there is no hatred for either the Hot Rod Devilles or the Blues Devilles. They're a solid backup amp when they work, but I get tired of having to handle them with velvet gloves to keep them from breaking...most of the time they break under normal use anyway. Kinda disappointing.

20. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

Actually, not once. Nor Webster's, nor Onelook, nor...I done graduated 6th grade:lol: I's ready to be a brain surgeon.

I do understand sarcasm, humor, irony, satire, sardonic comments, epigrams and antiphrasis. Unfortunately, I cannot prove, or disprove the use of any of those from the post left by moodus2006.

So, just asking. (in sardonic fashion)

BTW, how many times did you have to go to the dictionary to understand the comment?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.