why so much hatred for the Hot Rod Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by evol04gt, May 10, 2009.

1. evol04gt

evol04gt Tele-Holic

i just acquired one... lemme tell ya-- this amp is amazing.... i set the Drive to about 2-2.25. with the light drive channel, its perfect tube amp break up controllable with the guitar vol... then MORE DRIVE brings in the warmer crunch...

slipping on the clean channel is tonal bliss...

i found that getting your good tone on the drive channel first, then switching to clean, its perfect no matter where the knobs seem to go,.

reverb is over kill above 3...
    volume is VERY LINEAR with a massive vol jump from 1 to 2, but finding the room volume isnt too bad..

overall, this is a BEAUT!.. you justneed to find your tone you want in the drive channel and setting it there...

tele bridge/strat bridge give that sweet twang country tone. middle is rock and neck is straight blues.. i LOVE THIS AMP!

2. jwj4856

jwj4856 Tele-Holic

No hatred here, I have one and it is great.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I sold mine only because it was way too loud. I never had a problem. I believe that Fender has sold more Hot Rod Deluxes than any other model. The thing that bothered me when I owned one was all the negative stories about how undependable they are yet I rarely read break-down stories from someone who actually experienced a break down. It's like an urban legend. Tons of players will pick on the amp but they don't really know a guy who had a break down. It's like if enough people say that something stinks.....others just start to say that they know it stinks.

The PCB vs. PTP debate is famous. I've never had trouble with a PCB. I've had trouble with Fender tube sockets and Fender paid for warranty work (Pro Junior trouble).

My Hot Rod was just too loud.....not a good home amp. My Blues Junior is a better home-volume amp.

My Hot Rod was problem free......and loud enough to skin me.

John

4. epimetheus81

epimetheus81 Tele-Meister

My relationship with my hot rod fluctuates depending on my GAS at a given moment. When I feel the need for new gear, I can come up with all kinds of excuses to get rid of it.

Apparently, some guys have had issues with theirs. Mine has a flickering light. Some guys have had problems with parts going bad. Similar to guitar debates, I've heard arguments over whether the MIM ones or US made are better. Like everything else it seems to be different strokes for different folks and different circumstances here and there.

At the end of the day,while I'm playing it, I'm happy with it.Guess that's the important part. Enjoy it and if you find something better, get it! But if not, just keep rocking.

5. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Pffft. Ignore the haters. Fact is, the HRD is probably the most successful workhorse tube amp of the last decade. It's great for clubs, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg (although the new Fender pricing is a little crazy, IMHO).

There's a reason they hold up well on the used market.

Plus, there are so many of them out there, that there's very little that can go wrong with them that the average tech worth his or her salt couldn't fix.

Take it from a live sound veteran who's worked stages big and small, the HRD is a fine amp that serves many players very, very well.

swany and jimash like this.
  6. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

Evol,
    I "like" mine.
    Its a different kind of Fender.
    It gets slagged for being blatty.
    It can squawk.
    I can play more quietly with a Twin Reverb.
    Usually the Twin is more forgiving.
    Easier for me to dial in a tone I can live with in the room I'm in.
    My Twin has a better preamp I think. Different era components and no ribbon wire or PCB .
    The HRD is real brash.
    The folks on the list like to modify and tweak Em' As you know.
    So far I have mine mostly stock cept' for the preamp tubes,
    nothing very different, just different ones till I found a smooth clean sound I liked.
    I was playing earlier and it was remarkable how much more incrementally I could
    adjust my Twin's volume and tone controls than was possible with the HRD.
    On stage, or if you like it loud, they make great working amps.
    A volume pedal can be handy.
    I have really liked mine when I used all the channels and
    and had a guitar I liked and some pedals I loved, but if my pedals are not the first call stuff it might get a bit strident at times.
    Just some thoughts..

jimash likes this.
  7. jonkay1

jonkay1 Tele-Meister

For most club work, the Hot Rod Deluxe sounds great. Great lush Fender Reverb, good twang. A great performer. In an outdoor venue, where you have to crank it up, say past 4 or 5, it just looses it. Very gritty, unpleasant tone. I can't explain why, but a Deluxe Reverb, at a mere 22 watts, performs much better in that situation.

gentlyweeping likes this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Got one for free, played it for a week or two, laughed at how loud it was, and sold it for $500 on CL.

Considered myself lucky.

I've seen them go as low as $325 around here.

9. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

For me, it doesn't sound so good compared to my Twin. Hard to beat the clean tone on a Twin. And considering you can pick up a SF or more modern Twin for about the same price I would definitely go in that direction again.

10. T_red7882

T_red7882 Tele-Afflicted

great amp, many snobs around. if it sounds good, play it.

11. shades

shades Tele-Afflicted

The HRDlx has been a tried and true workhorse however it lacks the snob appeal of the Bassman or other vintage/boutique products. Let the detractors grump all they want, the HRDlx is an excellent amp with a strong track record.

The over the top loudness can be easily tamed by swapping the number one and two 12AX7s with 12AY7s to achieve control. I love my Hot Rod and often receive compliments on its sound.

:cool:

12. chisa

chisa Tele-Meister

tried one, didn't like the OD. other than that, nice amp

13. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Had a Special Edition (I think that's what they call them) with Jensen's. I didn't like the overdrive channel that much and the reverb sounded odd to me. I also wanted more high end than this amp was capable of. Every so often it would make odd fizzy sounds as notes were decaying. I eventually sold it.

On the positive side, it had good a good low-end thump and it did sound really good with my Menatone Blue Collar.

14. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It ain't my thing bay-bee, but if you dig it, who cares what others think!

15. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

I had one, but never could find the 'sweet spot' for a great sound, even with some mods. And as others stated above, it's very loud. I now have a smaller amp which sounds much nicer (to me). And it doesn't break my back, either. :p

16. detuned

detuned Tele-Holic

I had one for a year or so - modded mine with 6V6s from Eurotubes. Great amp, but as others have mentioned, outside there's not enough oomph there (IMO).

It's a popular amp to pick on in some circles, but mine never gave me a lick of trouble.

17. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I tried one in a store and its clean sound was great - very "Fender-y" to my ear. I couldn't turn it up past about 3 though so it wasn't even a consideration for me. Seemed like a good value to me. Ignore everything but your ears and own experience, I say.

18. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

What a refreshing amp review.:lol:

19. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

I had one and liked the clean channel, but it was way too loud for my uses (at the time I was playing with just a bass and a harmonica). Not a bad amp at all and the only "problem" I had with it was that the amp jewel light burnt out.

20. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I hate them so much I am willing to destroy other peoples Hot Rods for them .Sadly as I have no camera I will not be able to send photographic proof but just send em along ,preferably with a hot rod tele or strat .you wont regret it .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.