Why so much hate on Bugera?

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
I recently got a Bugera V22 head. I’ll admit, this is the first time I’ve messed with a Bugera at all. I’ve heard the dislike, the horror stories, I was skeptical to actually buy it at first. But ultimately it fit the bill I was looking for. And the price was a nice break as most heads I was looking at were $700-1000. Even new it was under $500.

I’ve only had it for a few days but have to admit I’m really liking it. Wonder where all the hate comes from? So far my only complaint is that tacky fake leather.
From what I've heard, they sound great. I like the way they look also (sort of a Matchless vibe). But two of my friend's ended up with Bugera combos that quit working.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
Had three Bugera heads, two 6260s and one of their 333xl tri-rec clones. Gigged hard for a long time, they were all excellent amps and lasted much longer than the Blackstar SeriesONE head they replaced. I'd heartily recommend them based on my experience.

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
I had a 1. generation (before the infinium) V22 combo for years. It developed a tube rattle after about 6 months. I changed all of them just because I could.

Otherwise it was completely stock. It was used in the studio, at rehearsals and live gigs. Several professional sound guys and engineers loved it.

I sold it three years ago, and deeply regret it.

Edit: infinium, not iridium.

Last edited:

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity
I have seen people defend to their last dying breath a total piece of crap because the brand name has some prestige attached to it. I’ve seen this with cars, amps, 🏍 motorcycles, 🎸 guitars, 🎤 microphones, even clothing and shoes/boots!...

The reason for this is a segment of buyers define themselves by the brands they buy. Insecurities they have of personal worth get played by corporate marketing so hard these buyers willingly run up credit cards in their chase for meaning. These types use product price as a proxy for branding, low price means junk while only high prices mean top quality -- because companies only sell for costs, so their logic goes. Marketers know where the biggest profits lay and who to exploit.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
From what I've heard, they sound great. I like the way they look also (sort of a Matchless vibe). But two of my friend's ended up with Bugera combos that quit working.
I think it’s based off of a matchless amp? I’ll have to find the link. But I’m 95% sure I read that. Either a clone or loosely based off one

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
My first 6262 cost me £200 from Thomann. I checked the price of a re-valve kit and it was £150. Plus tech charge for biasing. So I bought another 6262 to use as a backup. £400 for two tube amps new that sounded amazing. Plus, after the Blackstar SeriesOne 50 had broken and I'd got it repaired I sold it on, for £400, so in theory those amps cost me what I made from the sale of the Blackstar. Great little amps.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
I have a v5 infinium combo that I like. It's not an end all be all, and could probably use a better speaker than the turd-o-sound it came with.

I was not impressed by the V22 combos I've tried. They were ok, but the clean channel was kind of bland. Hot side wasn't much better. The most vanilla I typically accept is the Peavey classic series.
Now, like I just said with my perfectly usable v5, I'm assuming stock speakers had something to do with it.

Bugera had some infamous wiring issues ages ago, as have been mentioned. Unlike Marshall, who have put out problems before, Bugera was not established. Unlike B52, they sold alot due to price point and it was the whole line, not just the 100w all tube head like b52.
Then the asthetics being boutique ripoff in some eyes, the internet of yesteryear pushed the negative opinions hard.

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
Sounds like Bugera likes loud haha. Yea. I’m looking at attenuators for it. Haha. It’s not ungodly loud. But more than any bedroom needs to be. Sounds great. But need to take it down a bit. Bugera makes a PS1. $120.
The PS1 is a clone of the Jet City Jettenuator. I can't speak for the Bugera version, but the Jet City is a nice little box if you can find one used. You'll lose some highs/lows as you will with any passive load box, but the loss isn't as horrible as some make out, or maybe my hearing is just too shot to hear what's missing. Lol.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I’ve never owned a Bugera, but a neighbor had an early one (around 15-20 watts) that sounded pretty good for the very short time I was pugged into it.

I didn’t have a chance to do a deep dive into it, or even try a pedal, and we have lost touch so I don’t know how the amp held up over time.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
The PS1 is a clone of the Jet City Jettenuator. I can't speak for the Bugera version, but the Jet City is a nice little box if you can find one used. You'll lose some highs/lows as you will with any passive load box, but the loss isn't as horrible as some make out, or maybe my hearing is just too shot to hear what's missing. Lol.

I have the Bugera version. The line out feature in it is really useful for send output to an IR cabinet for recording or headphone playing.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
i got my nephew a bugera t5 to get started on. i picked it up for 80 euro 2nd hand and paired it with an old fane full range 10" speaker i had lying about and i was honestly, nicely surprised at how well it sounded. the drive channel wasn't all that great so i gave him a boss sd-1 and the whole thing sounds pretty tasty now. it has a attenuator, a responsive tone stack and a decent reverb - what's not to like?

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
People need to know where you're coming from. If finances stand in the way of you owning something better but your desire to own an amp can be met, at least short term, by an inexpensive build that provides a tonality to your liking then you deserve a big plus for solving your problem while staying within your means. No one should give you a bad time over a win. How often will you be playing it? Does it need to be road worthy or will it be kept either at home or for trips to friends homes? Some poor construction techniques won't be noticed if the amp is pretty much stationary in a studio or wherever. It's the movement from place to place that jar loose circuit board mounts. Extreme changes in temperature like playing outdoors or in an air conditioned environment or in the heat at the annual employees day gig at the local smelter also result in pointing out quality control issues. Not all amps are built to last. Some amps are built to provide a decent enough tone for home use + bang for your buck. Many players enjoy owning amps by Bugera, Line 6, Boss, Blackstar, Yamaha, Quilter, etc., etc.. All get some rough reviews from time to time and yet many players are quite satisfied with them and it's the player's satisfaction that counts.

Prior to the internet ... amp review was pretty much limited to what you and folks in your local area thought. Prior or current owners. Local amp techs. Not salesmen. (I did that gig for awhile and I still feel the need to apologize.) A good salesman can make a turd into a diamond. Back then opinions were based on folks in your area you trusted. Also, because most locales were populated by people within a specific class and earnings tier their advice was usually within your range and gave you a solid idea of what others in your sphere really thought about them. Today most of us get our reviews on products over the internet where everyone from paupers to billionaires, street cleaners to CEO's, and well intentioned to those with an axe to grind all get to have their say. It's hard for a person to except the reality that what's cheap to one is very expensive to another. What might be very adequate to one in the middle is often terrible to the wealthy and just a dream for the impoverished. If what you've purchased fits you, your needs and falls in line with what those around you have you have scored. If you're happy we're happy! Enjoy!

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
So get a jet city Jettenuator and a good EQ pedal

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I’ve used a couple of late 1990s-early 2000s-era Behringer mixers that seemed to work well and had pretty decent, quiet, neutral-sounding mic preamps in them, I thought.

I have been tempted by the Bugera Veyron BV1001M class D bass head as an inexpensive, high headroom, big-wattage unit to pair with my kind of power-hungry compact AudioKinesis bass cab. Reviews on Talkbass seems divided between “loud, cheap, reliable, decent clean sound” and “Egads, those inflated output power claims are unconscionable!”

Everyone seems to agree that whatever the real wattage is, the amps are loud as hell though.

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
So get a jet city Jettenuator and a good EQ pedal

Yep, the only catch is that Jet City isn't making them (or making much of anything) anymore so you have to find a used one. I'm sure the Bugera version would do fine on a 22w amp given it's rated for 100w as the Jet City version is.

redchapterjubilee

Tele-Meister
I have a friend whose V55 head blew up spectacularly onstage 5 or 6 years ago. When the transformer went it made a popping sound and flames shot out the back of the head. They died just as quick though. It was a flash. Melted 1/3 of the board and took the power tubes. Irreparable. It sounded good up to that point. I've had a power transformer blow on a Crate V50 (under warranty, thank goodness) and it just popped and then was dead. I know friends that have had similar things happen with Hot Rod Devilles and JTM60's. Even good companies make things that blow up.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Yep, the only catch is that Jet City isn't making them (or making much of anything) anymore so you have to find a used one. I'm sure the Bugera version would do fine on a 22w amp given it's rated for 100w as the Jet City version is.
My only issue with the PS1. Even on “bypass” setting. It still cuts a good amount of power. I don’t like that. But the only used jettenuator on reverb is about $200 after shipping.