Why so much hate on Bugera?

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
I recently got a Bugera V22 head. I’ll admit, this is the first time I’ve messed with a Bugera at all. I’ve heard the dislike, the horror stories, I was skeptical to actually buy it at first. But ultimately it fit the bill I was looking for. And the price was a nice break as most heads I was looking at were $700-1000. Even new it was under $500.

I’ve only had it for a few days but have to admit I’m really liking it. Wonder where all the hate comes from? So far my only complaint is that tacky fake leather.

Resident Bum

TDPRI Member
Some of the early amps had design / QC issues. I recall some of the early revisions of the 1960 (plexi), 6260 (peavey 5150), 1990 (jcm) had serious issues because they had clip-on connectors attaching the PT to the mainboard. This connection would some times go bad, arc and burn the board. Some had cheap tubes that failed causing angry customers, but this also happens to other manufacturers.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Some of the early amps had design / QC issues. I recall some of the early revisions of the 1960 (plexi), 6260 (peavey 5150), 1990 (jcm) had serious issues because they had clip-on connectors attaching the PT to the mainboard. This connection would some times go bad, arc and burn the board. Some had cheap tubes that failed causing angry customers, but this also happens to other manufacturers.
The only beef I’ve heard is QC.

Resident Bum

TDPRI Member
I mean, marshall TSL/DSL's fail all the time too. But people typically pay techs to keep their marshalls up to snuff, while the bugeras are used as "beater" amps and they act surprised when they fail.

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
A lot of the hate comes from its lineage as a Behringer brand that implies a cheap copycatted product. I’ve never played a Bugera, but my studio was centered around a Behringer XR-18 for years. Was a great piece of gear that worked well for years. If it works for you, it works. That’s all that matters.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
I think a good 85% of amps new come with the same Chinese tubes now lol. Even some of the bigger brands use them.

These aren’t bad. I know it will sound SO much better with proper tubes. But these aren’t so bad I feel like I need to run out and get new ones.

Resident Bum

TDPRI Member
I think a good 85% of amps new come with the same Chinese tubes now lol. Even some of the bigger brands use them.

These aren’t bad. I know it will sound SO much better with proper tubes. But these aren’t so bad I feel like I need to run out and get new ones.
IMO I dont think there is much audible difference between tubes of the same type, maybe a bit more bass here or there but nothing the EQ cant adjust. As long as the tube is durable and within spec, it is good to me.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I had a G5 head that I really liked…then one day, I didn’t. Worked with it a while, but ultimately traded it. It was likely just me wanting something new.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Uli Behringer earned his reputation.
They falsely overstate specs even today. But the amps I’ve tried sounded good and very well priced. Uli Behringer has made a good living borrowing other brands’ patents.

You asked why some people rag on them.

Note in the above I didn’t say it is not good stuff. And I suppose any guitar or bass not made by Fender is a copy in some way. And yes, it’s been a really long time since I have seen an original circuit in any pedal. So I suppose it’s fair game.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Is there a lot of hate for Bugera amps? I don't think I've seen or heard anything. You have an example in mind? I feel like I'm missing something here.
As people here have stated. A lot of crap for cheap parts and poor QC. I suppose you can get away with one or the other. But not both haha. Good parts, poor QC or cheap parts but amp up QC.

You can google forums and read through. I’ve never seen so much black and white on a piece of gear. People either love or hate them. Not much middle ground.

I’ve seen people complain about the gain channel. But it’s a vintage voiced amp. You’re not gonna get good high gain out of it. I personally have my gain channel pretty close to a natural clipping. And use pedals for anything more.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Uli Behringer earned his reputation.
They falsely overstate specs even today. But the amps I’ve tried sounded good and very well priced. Uli Behringer has made a good living borrowing other brands’ patents.

You asked why some people rag on them.

Note in the above I didn’t say it is not good stuff. And I suppose any guitar or bass not made by Fender is a copy in some way. And yes, it’s been a really long time since I have seen an original circuit in any pedal. So I suppose it’s fair game.
I know they have the 1960 (plexi clone) after playing this one. I want one haha. The V22 is a matchless clone if I recall correctly. Or at least loosely based off one