Why So Few Hardtail Strats?

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m not sure why, since they designed the HT too and must’ve wanted to sell it.

In the late 70s when I was at school the first person my age to get a real strat (most of us had MIJ copy guitars) bought a HT but probably only because it was cheaper than the trem model. Back in those days, in Britain long before the www, the major guitar shops would publish long price lists of their stocks in their weekly music paper & monthly magazine advertising. I can’t remember how much cheaper the HT was but it must’ve been a significant amount for a teenager on a budget.
And they sell about 1 to every vibrato equipped 1000

otterhound

Poster Extraordinaire
I have been looking for a lefty hard tail for some time and cant find one any where.
I built this one .
13A5DB5C-60B1-4276-9ECE-73B872A96774_1_105_c.jpeg
466E834A-1A19-41C0-A2F1-A52BF0B23C34_1_105_c.jpeg

1 piece Cherry body , quartersawn walnut neck , Madagascar Rosewood fretboard , Callaham bridge , Fender CS69 pickups . If you can pry my cold and dead fingers from it , it's yours .

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I built this one .
View attachment 858515 View attachment 858516
1 piece Cherry body , quartersawn walnut neck , Madagascar Rosewood fretboard , Callaham bridge , Fender CS69 pickups . If you can pry my cold and dead fingers from it , it's yours .
beautiful I found a fender 12 string and with that body I could parts cast a strat 12 sting in south , but i could not fine a hardtail any where

very nice or sure !

nashvillebill

TDPRI Member
I had a cheap Squier Bullet Strat with one humbucker and the sound rocked. Everything about it was super cheap.... the body was like plywood, the hardware was the cheapest, but the sound was there. I gave it to my granddaughter and I still get to play it from time to time when we jam.

I have always wanted another (better quality) hardtail Strat with the standard three single configuration. There is only one in the Fender line...... Squier doesn’t offer one at all.

Am I the only hardtail fan?
You aren't the only one- I built a Warmoth hardtail because I hate dealing with a tremolo I rarely use.

russv

TDPRI Member
Years ago I screwed down the 6 screws to lock my bridge and loosened the springs to compensate. It transformed by 1962 Strat, more sustain, more middle and lower frequencies and the bridge pickup no longer sounded like an ice pick. I miss not being able to make some wild noises with the trem but not enough to reverse the process.

Blackshadowrider

TDPRI Member
There's a Robert Cray Strat at my Local Music Go Round that's been sitting there for months. I haven't had a chance to play it yet but it's a hardtail. I also would like one in theory. I'm not sure what it really does to the sound. My guess is it would make it better, but I don't have any experience. I've been a hardtail player forever. LP's and Teles. I do have a Cheaper strat now and am learning to like the sound. But it sure is different than the other two mentioned. And I think a lot of it has to do with a bridge that moves.
I want a Robert Cray body to do a body swap and try the hardtail comparison just have not got there yet. Clapton blocks his Trem so there has to be some reason there.

motes19

TDPRI Member
Market, demand and supply. It's more easier to deck a floating whammy bar system, remove the arm and let it reside flush with the body, and act like a "faux" hardtail than trying to make a whammy bar system out of a hardtail.

Frankly, I don't think the timbre is affected that much really. The main thing with strats and the spring at the back, is that you retain some of that twang and resonance from the springs, even if the systems are decked and non usable. I know a lot of fellow players that has one strat with floating trem, and the others where it's all decked. They can't stand the out of tune while doing country bends, double stops, and general going out of tune... mind you, ONE strat with functioning whammy, but the rest where it's basically decked with all 5 springs tightened hard. No string snap will ever be enough to move the bridge the slightest.

Hardtails doesn't have that twang.

Aye. This is what I do. I do 5 springs and put a wee bit of foam in them to remove the jangle. Makes it sing to my ear.

donnyrocker

TDPRI Member
Of the nearly 100 guitars I've owned in my lifetime, the one that got away was a 1979 hardtail (Olympic White faded to s 1950s' approved creamy yellow). I was young and didn't know what I had, except that it played like a dream.

(Ironically, I put a Kahler on my '79 Gibson SG Standard... which I still have and will never part with...)