Why Shubb capos are the best

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dixon in Korea, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

8C9B7B0F-F5DD-41E6-9817-89E5E637FE25.jpeg

BorderRadio, Dennyf, Shuster and 13 others like this.
  2. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

lol... Perfect!

3. spenno

spenno Tele-Meister

Joking aside, I treated myself to the vintage neck spec Shubb for my AVRI Tele. I'd had trouble finding one that let all the strings ring out perfectly. By the end I had four, with a cheap acoustic capo being the only one up to the job which I use every gig. The £30 Shubb (the one actually made for the 7.25 radius) was the least effective (I'd consider it unusable) and was returned.

4. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

mine w/ 7.25 works perfect on my 1968 Telecaster. I wonder what the difference is between an old Fender neck and the AVRI...

5. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Must try the shubb as a beer opener....until now I just use it as my most reliable capo....what a waste!

Shuster likes this.
  6. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I have a handful of Shubbs and none of them work well on my older Telecaster. If I had to use one on the old Tele the best one I have found is a Dunlop clamp capo, but I almost never capo the Teles. I do frequently use them on my acoustic guitar.

7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I find that 7.25 one works great on 9.5 and 10 radius. But less that ideal on 7.25. I angle the shubb on my 7.25 guitars. Closer to the fret on the bottom E further away on the top E. That seems to work best for some reason.

When playing live and rehearsing I only use flatter radius guitars with capo. No trouble.

8. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

My G7th used to be the best capo in the world, but a Shubb has got it beat. I put the G7th on my guitar after trying to open a beer with and didn't notice that broke the plastic lever and now it's stuck on the neck. :confused:

9. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Had mine for 25 years now....others have passed by, but the old Shubb sticks around.
    Have two now.

10. Dixon in Korea

I’ve only got the basic brass Shubb, and it’s worked well enough on every guitar I’ve tried it on (and beer bottle I’ve opened with it).

11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I just bought two of them. I love the lever action. In ten years it should squeeze just like it squeezes now. It's so much better than relying on a spring.

Shub! I now reject Kyser.

I think that men can always find a way to open a beer. We can't match socks but we can always open a beer.

unixfish likes this.
  12. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Shubb capos are pretty good but I find they don't work that well on my 12 strings, I am back to using a Kyser on those.

13. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Also if you are going to be drinking a lot of beer opened by a Shubb you are going to need a Kyser handy in case you can't make it to the washroom

Dixon in Korea likes this.
  14. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just bought my first capo ever last year. The Shubb 7.25 rings all six strings on both my AVRI and my Sheraton. Sometimes I have to reposition, but no big deal.

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I usually have a Swiss Army Knife handy, but it's good to know if I get in a fix at a gig!

16. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

It's the screw tension adjust I like on the Shubb. Simple clamp capos go wrong on thicker places on a neck, requiring retuning because whole chord is sharp. I like 7.25 on a Tele.

17. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Back in the day we called capos cheaters. I never even owned one. You learned the neck instead. Got one for my flat-top a while back mainly for bluegrass but on the tele not so much. :) IMHO

18. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

I carry a Shubb around with me, and a Kyser. But mainly I just loan them out, it's been years since I had to clamp one on a neck. I just play the guitar in whatever key I have to for the song.

orangeblossom likes this.
  19. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I am searching for a capo that will work on my 12-string. Shubbs pop off, others clamp too hard and mess up the tuning. It's difficult to get the little strings down without over-doing it on the big strings.

20. Dixon in Korea

Strumming all six strings with G6 and D open chord shapes in drop D with a capo on the second fret has a very different sound and feel than playing A6 and E open or barre chords. I often use a capo out of laziness, but there are times when it gives a sound that can’t be reproduced by playing different shapes without a capo.

orangeblossom likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.