Why should I need an EQ pedal...

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by PCollen, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Holic

Lol :lol:

2. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

But wouldn't you have to mess with the EQ pedal settings when changing guitars unless they were tonally very much alike. I know there are programmable EQ pedals with pre-sets to make that task easier.

3. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

the only thing i've personally used EQs for is cutting bass to change the character of distortion, or boosting arbitrary mids to either get cocked wah or a p90-ish sound.

i would actually be more into a simple state variable or multi-mode filter (LP/BP/HP) pedal than a full on EQ. but i've never gotten around to building it.

4. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

I had one in my chain for years. Then I removed it, for no particular reason. It was the Boss 7. I didn't miss it, and imagined that the sound was a little more lively, maybe more "bounce" in the attack without it? The sound is a little smaller, one too many op amps in the chain? Anyway, it now sits in my box of unused effects.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I carry the Behringer version EQ pedal in a gig bag and it goes with me everywhere we play. I don't use/need it often, but it has really saved the day for me at gigs with less-than-desirable acoustics. It's the only pedal I carry, otherwise it's my Tele straight into the amp.

Skyhook likes this.
  6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You only need one if you're unhappy with your sound.

I used to use one even with an amp that had a 3 band eq because the speakers in my cab sucked. Replaced them and quit using it.

Jbnaxx and telemnemonics like this.
  7. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

I have been threatening to buy this guy for a while now, but my Tumnus Deluxe is doing the trick. Why get it? Presets! I initially wanted to get something that would approximate a Varitone (i.e., on a ES-345) without buying another guitar.

FSEFBOSEQ200.2.jpg

PhredE and JL_LI like this.
  8. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Tone controls on guitars are subtractive only. They taper down high frequencies. A capacitor can be used to select the frequency above which the roll off occurs, but it’s really a pretty crude control. An equalizer is much more than that. Used subtractively, a 7 to 10 band equalizer can roll or taper off low frequencies to improve clarity from humbuckers. It can select where the high frequency roll off begins when rolling off high frequencies to eliminate ice pick without compromising your ability to cut through the mix. Equalizers can also boost frequencies and are probably the best way to boost mids. The equalizer I use, a BOSS EQ-200 can also add up to 15dB of clean boost.

Think of an equalizer as a tone shaping tool. It’s much more than a clean boost pedal and infinitely more than a simple tone control.

An equalizer, a delay, and a Mesa Boogie amp are all I need. Shown is the EQ profile I use for my CS ‘69 Stratocaster. I keep these pedals on top of my amp so I can use them interactively.
    F852E6CD-2E09-47FE-A49D-3A7CE1D2B0ED.jpeg

WilburBufferson and PhredE like this.
  9. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Thanks, all, for your comments. I just added an inexpensive EQ to my string order from Sweetwater.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    WilburBufferson and PhredE like this.
  10. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Holic

For me, a 3 band eq on the amp has been enough. For my VHT Special 6, which has a single tone control, I tried a popular 10 band eq several times and never really liked the results. I recently added a Fender Engager clean boost and have been very happy with it. It has very effective BMT controls with mid band switch. It’s easy to use and is crystal clear clean boost.

11. Festofish

Festofish Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don’t typically mess with it unless I’m hearing some peaky highs. I don’t gig so take that for what it is.

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You don't need one really.

I played with one for years and it is nice to adjust for a particular room. Yes, some rooms sound way different than others. With an EQ you dont have to adjust like 8 pedals for the room, you leave them where they usually are mostly and adjust the EQ a bit.
    I quit using one though, I find I can get there good enough without now usually.

13. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry, 2HB, have to disagree. It depends on why you need the EQ. Amp controls are the first option, but they are hard wired for slope and frequency. If you can get what you need that way, that’s fine. If not, you do without or use an additional resource.

14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I might be wrong, but one of our members was Blue Water Girl, and she posted once how EQs and ODs are sometimes arranged in her husband's setup. I also read something else about it.

The basic idea is that you have an EQ going to an OD, and an EQ after. I can easily be misremembering some of this. The first EQ is used to prepare the signal for the OD's liking. The second EQ then subtracts frequencies that are sent by the OD.

EQs are structured differently from tone controls. A tone control affects a band of frequencies together (think of treble, mid, bass). An EQ acts on specific, narrow ranges of frequencies. It's purpose is to take away or suppress frequency bands. It is like chipping away at a block of marble to remove everything that doesn't look like a horse.

I am loathe to boost EQ frequencies, or at least be very, very careful when I do. A better option is to reduce EQ frequencies. The former can create distortions in the signal, while the latter does not.

15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

If you want all of your guitars to sound alike why change guitars at all? I saw Cheap Trick and Rick changed guitars on every song and every guitar sounded exactly alike.

16. Festofish

Festofish Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My Schecter PT has the ubiquitous SD JB/Jazz set. It’s a very compressed sound to me. My avatar has the stock wide range pups. Both humbuckers but the fender sounds like a fender…bright and clear like singles. They don’t sound alike at all. Adding a bit of bass doesn’t make them sound alike. The EQ just evens out the volumes and adds some low end. They still sound way different yet they both sound like me when I play them. I hope this helps explain.

17. andy__d

andy__d TDPRI Member

I used to have one to counteract the loss of treble when chaining together a bunch of “affordable” 80s pedals. Over time, it got supplanted by a treble booster, and eventually became mostly redundant. Also found it useful when there was a very long cable run between my pedals and the amp (theatre work, with the amp mic’ed up backstage), for a bit of a boost.

18. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

You probably have it already but if not, then you need this Fuzz!
    Fuzz1: Sounds mostly like a Big Muff
    Fuzz2: Sounds insanely broken causing double stops to sound like they're being played through a ringmod. Great fun!

And it won't break the bank. ;)

[​IMG]

19. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

I used to have a GE7 between my mic for recording vocals and the tracker. The mic was a POS so letters like f,s,t got lo-t in the mik-. ;)
    The GE7 fixed that.

Of course I tried the GE7 as a regular guitar pedal also. Sure, you can shape the tone any day all day on that thing, but in the
    end I never needed it for guitar(contrary to the mic-fix-thing). So, instead of having two additional ports to feed plus power consumption
    I just stopped using it for guitar.

One thing I've never tried is using the GE7 as a clean boost. I've read about people who have had good results with this.
    I.E. Flatten the fader line and only use the volume control.

And for those who feel GE7 breaks the bank there's always the EQ700. ;)
    (No, I'm not a Behringer shill. I just sound like one.)

20. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

If you can’t answer the question yourself, you probably don’t need one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.