Why Professional Basketball Hoops Still 10ft. High..

El Serio

Tele-Meister
Maybe they should? I know they need to do something to make their sport interesting again. I used to be an avid fan, but now can't drum up enough interest to check a box score. I much preferred the game in the '90's when players were allowed to play defense.

Alex W

Friend of Leo's
I have wondered if it wouldn't make the game more interesting if the hoop was slightly narrower. Obviously it would be big enough for the ball to go through but the narrower diameter rim would make it slightly harder to hit a shot, and there would be more rebounding. (This occurred to me after learning that there are oversized basketballs for practice. Your shot has to be more perfect for the ball to go through the hoop.)

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Yep, they have been experimenting with the taller hoop. But do they just change pro or do they change college and high school also? How about other countries? Lots of discussion.

1guy

Tele-Meister
I have wondered if it wouldn't make the game more interesting if the hoop was slightly narrower. Obviously it would be big enough for the ball to go through but the narrower diameter rim would make it slightly harder to hit a shot, and there would be more rebounding. (This occurred to me after learning that there are oversized basketballs for practice. Your shot has to be more perfect for the ball to go through the hoop.)

There are metal rings you can snap onto a standard hoop to decrease the rim diameter...the ball just barely fits through it. We had them for practice, when I played in high school.

Once during a scrimmage, I made an outside shot on one of those rims...a 1 in a million bucket. The coach was so surprised, that he offered to cancel practice if I could do it again...

In the words of one of my teammates..."once is nice, but never twice".

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Football fields are still 100 yards long, too. And 90 feet from home plate to first. 120v. 25.5 inches...

Puny! Come to Canada. It's a durn shame your gridirons only have one 50 yard line.

94332-middle.png

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
ain't nothing wrong with basketball. We are in a golden age. the defenses are fantastic, the skill and ability is at an all time high. It is at an all time high, why mess with it?

Back in the 60's when they outlawed dunking in college ball, that was race more than anything else at play.... the Adolph Rupp influence more than trying to 'improve' the game...

El Serio

Tele-Meister
Disallow touching the rim. Disallow hands within the imaginary cylinder above the rim. Observe traveling and goal-tending rules. Make it basketball again.
And make rule enforcement consistent for all players! The rules should be enforced the same way for the guy on the end of the bench as they are for a superstar.

jackal

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Imagine a league with no player over 6 feet tall. Or a football league with no player over 150 pounds. You'd have some short guys who could play (Spud Webb would be the highest paid player in the league). Imagine the running backs in the lightweight football league, true "scatbacks". It sure would be fun to watch!

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Imagine a league with no player over 6 feet tall. Or a football league with no player over 150 pounds. You'd have some short guys who could play (Spud Webb would be the highest paid player in the league). Imagine the running backs in the lightweight football league, true "scatbacks". It sure would be fun to watch!

86973829-1043493746030329-2680871573451177984-o.jpg