1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why post reverse snobbery?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That has been my feeling all along. There are a lot of posters on the forums that own guitars that fill the gap between American Standards, and Custom Shop models. The AVRI, AV, PV, etc. I haven't seen them comparing their guitars either positively or negatively against the much daunted C.V.

I am in no way detracting from the CV, in fact as I've stated I've played a CVC quite a few times that a relative owns, also a CV Strat that my nephew owns. Very nice guitars both of them. I thought for a while I would buy one, kind of monkey see monkey do thing I guess but each time I would start to carry one out the door, I would put it back down. I don't know why, I had my mind made up to buy one, I can afford it, I just didn't.

I went to a little music get together last night to watch an old friend play. I didn't play, didn't even have any interest in playing I just wanted to watch my friend. Kind of a his night thing. He did well too. One of the young guys had one of those Modern player Teles with a humbucker bridge, strat in the middle, and neck pickup. It was a fine sounding guitar, and the young man playing it was very entertaining. In fact I never once thought of the cost of his guitar, I only enjoyed his playing and he was a hell of a singer. I did wish I could buy some of his youth and enthusiasm!!! ;)

2. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Perhaps this is good a place as any to ask this.

Why do any of these fancy teles cost so much new or used? Why should a Kirn or Lentz is LsL or Shyboy for that matter cost 2k-3k and still list at well over 1000 used?

For what is essentially a "copy" of a mass produced model as far as I'm concerned they're all technically partscasters a anyway. Perhaps one of you fine folk could enlighten me as to why this is. I'm not trying to offend or upset anyone I just genuinely would like to know.

RedRock likes this.
  3. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Because people see value in them. Like anything else.

4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I only know of Ron Kirn's work, and from what I've seen I think that exclusivity plays a role in the value. When you get a guitar from him, you can get something that no-one else has. You can't order a completely personalized guitar from Fender, but you can from Ron Kirn.

5. Mjark

Sure you can.

6. kelnet

Really? I thought the options were more limited from Fender.

7. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

My Telecasters are far better than anyone elses Telecasters!

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I think you might be right KelNet, I'm only guessing, but Ron will install what ever pickups, bridge, tuners, any kind of hardware you want, I'm not sure that would be true with the Fender Custom Shop, could be, but I'm guessing Fender would want to use their own stuff.

9. kelnet

Also, can you get the range of finishes that Kirn does?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tell me where you can find the mass-produced guitars from which these are copied?

10. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I believe Billy Lee Riley summed it up best in 1957...

11. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

In theory, the more expensive guitar is more expensive because it is of better quality. It is more expensive because it is a better guitar. Some don't want to spend that kind of money so they go cheaper. Then as WP4 said they consider it better than the more expensive guitar so that they can cope with not having the nicer guitar. But really in theory, the argument that the cheap guitar is nicer is just nonsense as it is cheaper for a reason/many reasons...

12. Mjark

As far as I know the Custom Shop will do whatever you want, I don't think they'll make a Les Paul but...in any event there's a wide range of custom guitar builders out there and obviously people think what they do is worthwhile. All the Fender products I've seen and played have been very nice. So are the PRS guitars, they're crazy nice. I doubt I'll ever get one, but you never know.

13. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

Yeah. But, we would need to see pictures.

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They cost more to purchase because they cost more to build, but that doesn't always translate into quality. A Chinese master luthier can turn out a very high quality product that rivals anything made anywhere in the world, but his labor rate is going to be significantly lower than that of even an apprentice luthier in most western countries.

15. kelnet

Ah, but are there any Chinese master luthiers actually doing that?

16. Frodebro

I'm sure there are, but their work probably never reaches western markets. That's what the sweat shop factories are for.

17. kelnet

This might explain why the neck on my CV Thinline was so slippery when I got it.

18. Frodebro

They used it as an oar on the way over here.

19. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

I personally enjoy NGD threads that tell a story, or include a quality photo or three of a guitar-especially a Telecaster! :D

Point 1: Snobbery? Some of those responses are simply opinions with no ill intent to others posting on the thread, IMO.

Point 2: A buyer driving a new car off the lot goes through a process/rationalization (generally). This may, or may not be the way they think after a guitar purchase.

Here's the rationalization:

1. Convincing one's self that they are satisfied with the car, truck, or SUV.
    2. Convincing one's self that the value is equal or higher to the agreed price.

The part I can't explain is about 'new car' bragging rights with a neighbor, or buddy.
    Many of us that are comfortable in our own skin do NOT feel the need to brag about a new vehicle. The guitars I buy have a cost less than one car payment, so there's no comparison between the price of the two. :eek:

20. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

There are a lot of mid-range American made guitars that deserve honorable mention somewhere within the snobbery scale (Fender USA Nitro Satin Strat, American Standard Teles, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Martin GPCPA4, Taylor 414CE, Gibson J-35, etc.).

You can really sing (and stretch your pocket book) without all the bling!

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.