Why. Oh, Why.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Why, because it's dumb to tag talented beginning guitar players as this or that. Jimi couldn't be tagged as the next Hendrix, because he was. Its like putting the cart before the horse. Johny Lang was tagged, but he was smart enough to know that blues players need to put in decades, and only then does a young hotshot get respect. I will be dead in my grave when he walks out on stage as an old blues player, thusly getting the deserved respect.

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
Peego is spot on! A bunch of old farts that are legends in their own minds crying sour grapes over someone who's a better songwriter and guitar player than they'll ever be. And, the women all swoon over him (more sour grapes?). As for the "hum a JM song vs. an EVH vs a Jimi one", I guarantee you if you take 100 people off the street that were born after the invention of color TV and automatic transmissions, far more of them will be able to sing you a JM song than a EVH or Jimi one.
This is another really stupid thread that's just a waste of time!

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
JM is a fantastically successful musician. Nitpick all you want. At present he is playing at being Jerry Garcia’s successor with a few people from Garcia’s old band. Doing well, it seems.

It would be nice if people liked who they liked and didn’t worry so much about players who don’t suit their personal preferences.

I would have liked to see what he could do with Steely Dan.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
He is not in control of what 'they' say...and yeah...he's a bit of a chode...but a really great player and not a bad dude.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
Well, I never heard "he was supposed to be the next...."
But he's a great player.
However, most of his great playing sounds like he's copying either of those guys, not breaking new ground.

SRV wasn't exactly doing anything new, just repackaging it for a broader audience. He was straight-up Freddie King, Gatemouth Brown, Johnny Winter, with a slightly more amped-up style. Not that he wasn't an exceptional player, just not doing anything we hadn't heard before.

Mayer's a really great player, a funny guy, and obviously speaks to a lot of people, but not me. Different strokes.

The last players who really broke new ground were probably The Edge and Adrian Belew, if you're talking about doing something no one's heard before.

middy

Friend of Leo's
SRV wasn't exactly doing anything new, just repackaging it for a broader audience. He was straight-up Freddie King, Gatemouth Brown, Johnny Winter, with a slightly more amped-up style. Not that he wasn't an exceptional player, just not doing anything we hadn't heard before.

Mayer's a really great player, a funny guy, and obviously speaks to a lot of people, but not me. Different strokes.

The last players who really broke new ground were probably The Edge and Adrian Belew, if you're talking about doing something no one's heard before.

The Edge was obviously a fan of this record.

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
5236639-C-F3-C5-48-E1-B733-1-E737-FF2-A06-E.jpg
Ok. Big admission. I’m coming clean. This wasn’t cheap but I bought it so that could I perfectly properly play “Bigger Than My Body”. There. I said it. Amazing pedal. Does anything. I think getbent has one too.

Beat syncopated rhythms.

Adrenalin III John Mayer Tone - link

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
I honestly don't mean this as an insult...seriously I don't.
If JM didn't possess two things, goods looks and an engaging personality.......

Hendrix, EVH...yeah they could play leads and solos like no one else. But what really made them famous? Riffs and hooks.

And if Jimi Hendrix looked like Tracey Morgan and dressed like Buddy Holly and EVH looked like Leslie West do you really they would have achieved the iconic status they have?

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Peego is spot on! A bunch of old farts that are legends in their own minds crying sour grapes over someone who's a better songwriter and guitar player than they'll ever be. And, the women all swoon over him (more sour grapes?). As for the "hum a JM song vs. an EVH vs a Jimi one", I guarantee you if you take 100 people off the street that were born after the invention of color TV and automatic transmissions, far more of them will be able to sing you a JM song than a EVH or Jimi one.
You make a solid argument but it doesn't explain why so many simply don't like the cheesy pop music he sells?
Sounds like rehashed '80s beer commercial pop.
Comparable to Justin Bieber, seriously!

Anyone who has lived near one of the big guitar colleges knows younger players exposed to modern pedagogy can play circles around most of the '60s & '70s Mel Bay educated Rock stars.
Literally there are more 22yo shredding guitar college student phenoms who can play just as well, than there are charting artists today.

Even "great songwriting" can be taught in college, and having skills is like being tall in terms of not making an individual particularly unique.
If my stereo only played JM music I would shoot it.

Seriously funny how so often fans of something look at non fans and assume we are crazy or stupid or even jealous?
Jealous of what?
Eeeeeeewwwwwww!
No thank you!
If I was writing and singing those songs I would keep them to myself because they're just reaaallly cheap and gross!
That stuff appeared around the time the DX7 and the huge racks hit Rock and turned it into corn syrup.
Just gross.

I have no problem adoring great artists, even if they are only 19 or 29.
In fact I only listen to newer music by younger players, and I love some college guitar too!
But this stuff isn't new music!
Gross!
Like a nose full of Febreze!
Make it stop make it stop!!!

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
You make a solid argument but it doesn't explain why so many simply don't like the cheesy pop music he sells?
The Black Keys have dominated the beer commercial rock genre for 20 years now, their time in the sun might be over?

John Mayer happened to be in a funny skit on Chappelle's Show a couple decades ago. He hasn't transcended the instrument, much less anything, so comparing him to those greats is just silly. IME (real life, not on here) people who rave about JM's playing are people with no musical ability, and generally have a taste in music that doesn't include guitar-based music. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just an observation.

I love poo-pooing JM as much as the next person, but I grow weary of it when there's so much great new guitar music out there I'd rather listen to.

lil scotty

Tele-Holic

Anyone who has lived near one of the big guitar colleges knows younger players exposed to modern pedagogy can play circles around most of the '60s & '70s Mel Bay educated Rock stars.
Literally there are more 22yo shredding guitar college student phenoms who can play just as well, than there are charting artists today.

Even "great songwriting" can be taught in college, and having skills is like being tall in terms of not making an individual particularly unique.
If my stereo only played JM music I would shoot it.

Seriously funny how so often fans of something look at non fans and assume we are crazy or stupid or even jealous?
Jealous of what?
Eeeeeeewwwwwww!
No thank you!
If I was writing and singing those songs I would keep them to myself because they're just reaaallly cheap and gross!
That stuff appeared around the time the DX7 and the huge racks hit Rock and turned it into corn syrup.
Just gross.

I have no problem adoring great artists, even if they are only 19 or 29.
In fact I only listen to newer music by younger players, and I love some college guitar too!
But this stuff isn't new music!
Gross!
Like a nose full of Febreze!
Make it stop make it stop!!!
”great songwriting can be taught in college,” is an interesting concept. Makes me wonder who the teachers are? Can it be learned in college too? And where are these people? I am not disagreeing, just find it all fascinating. Especially now, there’s these online classes taught by pros in many artforms. I can’t recall the name of the classes.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The Black Keys have dominated the beer commercial rock genre for 20 years now, their time in the sun might be over?

John Mayer happened to be in a funny skit on Chappelle's Show a couple decades ago. He hasn't transcended the instrument, much less anything, so comparing him to those greats is just silly. IME (real life, not on here) people who rave about JM's playing are people with no musical ability, and generally have a taste in music that doesn't include guitar-based music. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just an observation.

I love poo-pooing JM as much as the next person, but I grow weary of it when there's so much great new guitar music out there I'd rather listen to.
Sure, "poo pooing JM" suggests an individual is really lazy, bored, has no friends, sat too long on the couch?

My comment was aimed at all the comments arguing that not liking JM's music indicates mental deficiency or old age related curmudgeouliness.

They guy is a bore!
And an old bore at that!
Rehashed '80s pop!
Good formula of course though, for $$.
And there was some great '80s pop too, no excuse for pop music that's not killer good.

As for the Black Keys being the beer gods?
Yeah I was pointing back to that commercial '80s pop production sound and those older beer commercials like lobster and Lowenbrau.
Black Keys style beer hawking is cooler, by a fair margin.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
This may blow your mind, but it's possible to not care for someone without being jealous of them. I don't like Joe Bonamassa, Yngwie Malmsteen or John Mayer, while at the same time recognizing that they put in the time and made the sacrifices to get where they are and develop their technical excellence. Their playing do not touch me at all, it's like paint by the numbers. YMMV.

You're seeing sour grapes where there are none; in my case at least.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
”great songwriting can be taught in college,” is an interesting concept. Makes me wonder who the teachers are? Can it be learned in college too? And where are these people? I am not disagreeing, just find it all fascinating. Especially now, there’s these online classes taught by pros in many artforms. I can’t recall the name of the classes.
By great songwriting I meant great enough to put Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Mayer, Machine Gun Kelley etc on the pop charts.
Or for my taught in college claim, basically all the commercial music made for advertising, movies, documentaries etc.
I'm saying nurture is a real thing, as opposed to the few working musicians topping the pop charts being gods of nature whose like is rare and seldom seen behind a guitar.

Or maybe hit some bars in a place like Austin, are there any unknowns playing their own songs that are arguably comparatively great songwriting on a level with Mayer?
Of course fans often tend to feel that their faves are the only greats, which is why they chose them as their favorites.
Musicians are common, pop stars are actually not rare, and the rare artists who change the face of music tend to be more than what JM seems to be.
A legit standard might be songwriting that creates a new genre, or that defies genre and gets followed, forcing an adjustment of how we view music.

Take a look at the Berklee professors or maybe New England Conservatory.
Professors teach songwriting!
Well enough to be "great" enough for grads to get hired writing and performing original music in the busy music industry anyhow.