Why not pedals that use AA batteries? If they could put a man on the moon...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Thoughtfree, May 18, 2020.

1. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

You can buy a rechargeable battery pack that comes with the wall-wart/plug pack charger for a lousy $30 on Amazon. These are designed for mobile video cameras, etc. Some have a little LED display that shows charge status of the pack.

I paired this Tech 21 Fly Rig with a Talentcell-brand 12v battery pack (the FR requires 12v). The steel handles prevent stepping on the plugs and breaking them off.

This little board will run for more than 40 hours on a single charge. You can get these batteries in several voltage ratings, including 9v.

[​IMG]

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

I use a VIsual Sound oneSpot. Only one wall wart and it powers just about everything. Even expandable if you have a ton of pedals.

3. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I used one years ago but it didn't hold up well.

I guess I used it either too much, or too hard.

Thanks!

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If they can put a man on the moon, why are we still using ancient 50s electric guitars and simple effects? Some of our best microprocessors are making recreations of that technology because it is a paradigm for all that is supposed to sound good.

*synth AI music forever*

Just kiddin’ I love the old stuff better :)

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah your rig was one I'd seen and a good example of options for rechargeable boards.
    A couple of years age we had discussions of rechargeable main board power and mostly it got ridiculed.
    Now it's a little more accepted, but still not as much as it maybe should be.

It's funny that with a little ingenuity you can bang out a system for $30, when guitar players are paying over $100 for just a transformer, then saying a main battery supply for a whole board is not a great idea.

6. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Yes, maybe you just got a dud. Mine has held up for about 5 years of constant gigging.. up until the pandemic.

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I'm not implying that my way is the best way...just offering it up as an option for someone wanting to get into a rechargeable system that's insanely affordable and dead simple to implement. You can spend way more money and the results will be no better than the $30 option.

And as with everything (strings, amps, cables, etc.), no product ore method is perfect for everyone.

You try a few things and settle on what works best you you.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.