Why not OSB for guitar cab?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Mikev7305, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Mikev7305

Mikev7305 TDPRI Member

Many people keep saying that it is not as strong as plywood even. It actually has more shear stength than plywood, hence why it is so widely used in building houses these days. Joists are made from it, floors and walls are sheeted with it. So why wouldn't it work well in a guitar cab? It is dead like MDF, and it is dirt cheap.

I'm wondering because I have a bunch of it kicking around and I want to build a couple cabs out of various materials to experiment with.
    I was going to build a pine 1x12 open back, plywood closed back 2x12, and maybe an OSB one to mess around with closed/open back.

It should at least work for the baffle wouldn't it? The only drawback I see is it is butt ugly so it would NEED tolex.

2. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

I would have thought the baffle would be the worst location. Those big chips will have voids in them, so you're more likely to get buzzes etc.

I would reckon it would be OK for the back panels, but personally, if you're going to put lots of your own labour in, starting with slightly higher quality materials is worth it.

All that said, when I had my Fender Bandmaster built into a combo, it was done in chipboard, which isn't that different from OSB, and it sounded great.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Mikev7305

Mikev7305 TDPRI Member

The sound is literally the only thing I'm worried about. And my labour isn't a big deal as it's something really enjoy doing. I'm just a cheapass and I'd love to not spend any money on nicer materials to get a good sound.

4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Holic

Guitar cabs are not hi-fi cabs. Guitar cabs made with dead MDF are not highly regarded. The general consensus is they seem to do better with pine or similar softer woods. OMMV.

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There's no reason it wont work. It's not very smooth though. I have found cab material to be a small part of tone amongst the various things. I had a particle board Fender SS cab I used for years that was very nice sounding. JBL and other high end PA cabs are not pine. But OSB's junk IMHO, my labor is worth more than using junk material. I hate MDF more than anything. Pine is nice and light weight.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

One consideration would be the weight as compared to solid wood like pine.

nojazzhere and Paul-T like this.
  7. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

You said Experimenting.
    I say go for it.

Snfoilhat likes this.
  8. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I would imagine it being similar to MDF for the cabinet. I definitely wouldn't use it for a baffle. Lots of glue and lots of spaces there. In most speaker cabinet situations - stereo/PA, not guitar amp - that use woods like that, remember they probably have a crossover with a woofer and tweeter. I am betting that you'll have a really big loss of treble using it in a single full-range speaker situation.

My first cab I built was for my 5e3. I used 1/2" oak ply from a local store because I hadn't found Baltic birch online yet. It is without a doubt the darkest and woofiest cabinet I have.

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  9. Mikev7305

Mikev7305 TDPRI Member

Pine seems to be a decent consensus in these fender loving parts. And I do plan on making a pine 112 open back cab. I expect this is the one I'd put the most love into. I won't be doing an OSB baffle then. Maybe I'll just make a complete OSB one with the exact same dimensions as the pine just to hear the difference. Making two the exact same doesn't take that much longer than making one really.
    Thanks for the input guys!

10. Badside

Badside Tele-Meister

Even using nice Baltic birch ply, it typically costs me about 25$CAD in wood for a 1x12 (combo or extension cab)

I don't know, this stuff is very cheap at my local wood store (Langevin Forest in Montreal).

And it's nice to work with, and looks good enough for a see through finish. I can't imagine doing a roundover on OSB not ending badly

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Worrying about cabinet tone woods falls under the same category as worrying about tone wood for solid body guitars. It's all myth legend and BS.

12. Mikev7305

Mikev7305 TDPRI Member

One day I will listen to the advice of 90% of the internet world and use Baltic ***** ply. But today isn't the day as I don't feel like going to stores if I don't have to. With the covid and all.... This is more of an isolation project. Once I get going I'll post something about what the difference actually sounds like.

13. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

OSB = glue and wood chips = not suitable for even an outhouse.

Not to mention all that glue dulls and gums up your saw blade.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

luckily grabbed some wood few weeks ago to build the Mrs a bookshelf..mysteriously there is going to be enough left over for 2 more cab builds..going 2x 10 & 1 x15.

wood.jpg

tubegeek and Ricky D. like this.
  15. Mikev7305

Mikev7305 TDPRI Member

MDF is pretty widely used, and its glues and sawdust. But I guess the wood chips could more easily have spaces between them than sawdust particles. I think the OSB idea is leaving my brain soon

galaxiex likes this.
  16. Mikev7305

Mikev7305 TDPRI Member

Btfender, that's great! I'm sure that mismeasurement was completely accidental

bftfender likes this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Since you're experimenting, and I'm not gonna be playing it, I say go for it.
    As to strength, I don't believe it's as strong as ply or solid wood. The floor joists and roof trusses you mentioned are engineered.....and thus carefully designed and supported. (like an I- beam) I have limited experience in building cabs, but I've always used solid pine. Lightweight, sound good (not getting into a tonewood argument) and easy to work with.
    But, please, do it, and report back with your honest appraisal. Good luck!

18. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Yep, MDF dulls and gums up saw blades too.
    I hate cutting it.

At least it's not as bad as drywall/Gyprock.....

Sorry off topic stuff...
    I had a co-worker ask to borrow my skill saw for the weekend...

He brought it back on Monday and said... "man that stuff is dusty to cut"

I said... "what were you cutting?"

He said... "drywall"

Me... :eek: "dumba$$ you owe me a blade" :mad: :lol:

Jlwctn likes this.
  19. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I'm going to have to absolutely disagree with that one.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Paul-T and Lizzard like this.
  20. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I used OSB for all my PA cabinets I built in the 80's, and it worked fine. EV designed 18" subs and 2-12 mids, I did use 1/4" ply for the horn enclosure.
    Later years I brought a mid cab to a gig after the steel player lost his 15" BW, after the week was over, he told me to keep his pay, he wanted the cabinet. (I built him one). Later I picked up a steel guitar, and built myself another cab for myself, sounds great, but really heavy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.