Why not Godin?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by cometazzi, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Martian

Martian Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

That’s interesting. I had a Flat 5 (which, like almost every other guitar I ever sold, I wish I still had) and I thought it was great. But now that you mention it the fingerboard was pretty flat. Still, a very cool guitar. [And my Seagull mini jumbo has a neck like a baseball bat. I love it.) These guitars punch way above their weight class.

2. jlucarelli

jlucarelli TDPRI Member

Except for an ESS 335

3. AmpHandle

AmpHandle Tele-Meister

The older ones might have suffered from low quality. They contracted out some models the 5th Avenue I owned had shoddy neck work and blotchy paint. They improved 100% but the people but what the stars play.

4. mojopt

mojopt TDPRI Member

At the risk of repeating a former comment, Godin is the largest manufacturer of guitars in North America. That being said, I have a Richmond Dorchester that I would put up against any $1,000-1500 guitar made anywhere, by anyone. Great product. Great value.

5. ccuwan

ccuwan TDPRI Member

Why Not Godin DSC05984.jpg

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Obviously, everyone has preferences, and there's no "right or wrong" neck shape.....but for MANY gigging guitarists, FAT necks cause much less hand fatigue on longer gigs. But if you decline to use "big" necks, that just leaves more for us......thanks. ;)

RomanS likes this.
  7. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

I mentioned on page two, that the Godin Signature that I gave to a good friend a couple of years ago, would be coming back to me. He has downsized to only acoustic guitars, even returning amps that were given to him.
    image.jpg

Not the best lighting to show off the AA+ flame top.

He told me that he could not tolerate it just sitting in the gig bag.

A few minor tweaks, Deoxit, and a polish. I am happy to have it back. The lighter weight, the simplicity of just two knobs, and very versatile pickups were missed. It is staying in the collection this time.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  8. MyLittleChicken

MyLittleChicken TDPRI Member

Damn Americans talking about a French Guitar Brand? For Me Godin is like every manufacturer...just like Gibson or fender...they do great guitars when you put the money on the table, period, don't buy MIM budget Godin, go for the full package, you will see what French luthiers know about guitar. they don't do better, nor less good than any other band, just different ( a bit actually, we, guitar players are quite conservative for the less...it must sell ) and as long as a few ed Sheehans doesn't brag about owning a Godin it will not sell...with fender and Gibson we pay ourselves a little bit of the American history. (and that's priceless)
    My first "bought myself" guitar was a Gibson Nighthawk custom (the original), I wish I had not sold her, but yeah I was broke at the time...then 6 month later I discovered a mint 2004 American telecaster on sold at a low price (600€) I jumped on the occasion...even drove far from home the same day to buy it. I discovered that what brad Paisley describe as a "plank with a neck" was actually THE guitar to have THE sound...sadly I ended broke again and sold it the price I paid to buy it....At this moment I'm looking at the market to buy again a tele...but maybe I'll try a Strat (cheaper...really) and I've been a fan of Clapton for decades now...so why not...but yes I terribly miss the telecaster
    Have a good day

Loïc From France (where we love and sometimes don't understand Americans )

telestratosonic and Milspec like this.
  9. MyLittleChicken

MyLittleChicken TDPRI Member

Damn I'm realizing...I always thought Godin was a French brand...but maybe it's Canadian ...dunno really...And In france we consider Canadians as other Frenchs...talk to a French , half the population dreamed of relocating to canada...really! also half the population consider 0°C as cold lol...

10. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Very nice and good sounding guitars, but some have an 80s design which I don't like

11. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly. They are probably great, but they all have a "dated" look to them. Even more modern or classic designs just have something off about them.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If you were to meet me, you'd never again think of Canadians as French cousins ;), but I get what you are saying. Also, people in Vancouver think 0°C is cold, too :D

[​IMG]

drewg, Milspec and DavidP like this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

As opposed to Teles and Strats? :lol:

Nevertheless, I think the 2020's will be the decade of the Strandbergs.

14. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Strats and Teles don't have an 80s design...

RomanS likes this.
  15. BigDaddyLH

That's why it is "opposed". Dated is dated.

16. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I found the guy with the mullet.

RomanS likes this.
  17. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

"Dated" is one thing... But "80s design" will go down in the books as having the worst fashion & looks in the history of humanity. And I'm really not kidding!

18. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I personally prefer guitars designed from the early 50s to the early 70s. I associate 80s style guitars with awful music and fashion

porto leone and RomanS like this.
  19. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

Visibility. Everybody wants the big names because that's what they see their favorite player using. That's why Gibson made the deal with Les Paul. And when Mike Bloomfield played one and gave one to Eric Clapton, the mold was cast. There's the few that blossom, like Kramer, because of Van Halen, but that's rare. Look at all the signature models Gibson, Fender and PRS have produced.

Milspec likes this.
  20. drewg

drewg Tele-Meister

That's gorgeous! Looks like an old Gibson LG or L-00 (sort of). You've got me on the lookout for one...

darkwaters likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.