1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why not Godin?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by cometazzi, Mar 19, 2021.

1. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

Ages ago, we had a Godin/Zeta Z1 fretless Jazz Bass thing at my old shop, with no magnetic pickups. Played amazingly and sounded insanely good in an upright-ish way. Kinda wish I'd taken it home!

Godins are great in my experience, but other than that bass, I have yet to find one that I bonded with. All of them I played were very high quality, for sure.

2. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

My cousin loaned me his for about a year. It still had the protective plastic on it when I returned it. The bridge pup was a monster, perfect for raunchy ‘70s Rock. Felt very nice in the hands.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Canada, you're busted!!!

On the other hand, try pronouncing it "guh-DEH(n)".

And meanwhile, prepare for the fENDer times and the return of the gibSON.

drewg, strat_62 and northernguitar like this.
  4. northernguitar

I got the TRIC with my Godin Metropolis Classic QIT. I agree, it’s the best case I’ve ever had. Half hardcase and half gigbag, with all of the protection of the former, and the portability of the latter. Perfect for a busker or player on the move.

Mindthebull likes this.
  5. northernguitar

Ha! Communist plot using religious subliminal messaging? Never heard that, especially as the ‘o’ is long form. And I’m surprised they aren’t available in QC (love this city!!) However, in Toronto, they are littered across the used market, the big shops all sell them, and many can be found in small independent dealers.

drewg likes this.
  6. northernguitar

:lol:

7. Andy ZZ

Andy ZZ TDPRI Member

I have a Godin A6, and it's one of the best guitars I have ever owned in 55 years of playing.

drewg and northernguitar like this.
  8. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

I played a Multiac Duet for many years...a beautifully crafted instrument that was great for my finger-style and hybrid picking technique. I especially liked the way I could shape its tone depending on the sound system I was plugged into. Unfortunately I sold it to a friend in a weak moment.
    Godin Multiac Duet.jpeg.JPG

9. slumpy

slumpy TDPRI Member

I've got two 5th Avenues and they are just beautiful, and two Simon & Patrick acoustics, plus a Norman 6 string and every single one delivers.

drewg likes this.
  10. azwarner

azwarner TDPRI Member

If you look closely at the picture the OP posted, you'll see that they used Seymour Duncan P-90s on that guitar. I have one and LOVE it!

Another brother in the Godin family was Norman. I have two Norman acoustics - a six-string cutaway (I think it's a CW-6?) with a Fishman piezo pickup I've been playing for 25 years leading worship. It just keeps getting better! I also have a 12-string that I've tried to like, but have never quite enjoyed. I had a Seagull cedar-top acoustic that was really warm. I gave it to one of my son's fellow band members.

I know that for years some of the promotional materials for these guitars was that they used heartwood from 700+ year old Canadian spruce for their solid tops, while other guitar-makers were using "new growth forest" wood.

drewg likes this.
  11. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I've had three LGs, a Seagull acoustic, and an Acousticaster. They all played great and were first-class in terms of construction. However, I don't think they're quite the bargain they used to be. Prices on Godin and associated brands have crept up in comparison to the "major" brands lately.

12. azwarner

azwarner TDPRI Member

The joke used to be that this guitar is what happened when you left a Tele and a LP locked in a room overnight... :)

13. BigDaddyLH

Can anyone decode all the acoustic brands? Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman, LaPatrie and Art & Lutherie? Is there any rhyme or reason to the different brands?

14. ccuwan

ccuwan TDPRI Member

I have 2 Godin LG electrics. One set up with Seymour Duncan humbuckers which was a Long & Mcquade (Canadian Retailer) anniversary special and a second set up for slide with Seymour Duncan P90s (like the one in the opening picture) Between the 2 they cover all the bases I want when I play with my friends.

In addition, I own a Seagull pro flame maple, a seagull parlour, a seagull 12 string a beautiful Simon and Patrick folk with rosewood back and sides and a spruce top.

Although I have Fenders and other nice guitars including a 1978 telecaster, I will pick up the LG first. I am a huge fan of Godin, particularly the LGs and the acoustics.

With regards to marketing, maybe I’m wrong but I don’t remember Godin getting on the artist signature wagon to promote their product. In addition, Godin has developed a strategy at an early stage to spread themselves thin by manufacturing essentially the same acoustic guitar under a variety of brands so they can get into multiple retail environments in a single city. This approach will drive sales volume but lacks the focus that a single brand name will stimulate. These things along with the conservative nature of musicians have slowed awareness. That said they are one of the larger manufacturers of guitars in the world so they are doing something right.

One can still pick up the Godin LG product like the one in the first picture in Canada for as little as $350 ($260 US) and I highly recommend the investment.

drewg likes this.
  15. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

They're very cool. People just aren't used to them yet.

16. BigDaddyLH

According to Wikipedia, they have been around 49 years.

17. Charlie Bernstein

But you don't see them often outside of Canada. So: yet.

18. BigDaddyLH

B-but, my Canada includes Canada! :lol:

19. Charlie Bernstein

Or a turn-on. It's about time someone put God in guitars!

strat_62 likes this.
  20. DonaldRobidoux

DonaldRobidoux TDPRI Member

My Godin Exit 22 is getting more playtime than my Fender Strat and my Gibson LP. And @EsquireOK I think it's really far from ugly.
    godin-exit-22-52572.jpg
    Modded to this now (EMG 60/S/S):
    IMG_2599.JPG

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.