Why not Godin?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by cometazzi, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

The Ibanez Destroyer was pretty awesome. I knew a guy who had a Japanese one that was unbelievable.

2. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I saw Godin guitars on how its made earlier today

Milspec likes this.
  3. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love Godin myself. And they sell more guitars than you think. Just because the Tele forums, TGP, and other chose the same old brands. Does not mean they are not bought up. Rondo music is bought also.

4. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

Bingo. Everyone is an “individual” until NGD.

ColdEye and matrix like this.
  5. oldfartatplay1320

oldfartatplay1320 TDPRI Member

I've 2 Godins, an LGT and a Freeway Classic. Both are in mint condition, too, even though the chap I bought the Freeway from said he'd gigged with for years. They played well when I first got them, but I have some kind of nerve problem in my hands and can't play now. I suppose I should sell my guitars but it would be like selling friends, y'know?

drewg and northernguitar like this.
  6. dbrnhm

dbrnhm TDPRI Member

When I buy a guitar, I am looking for a sound quality--for it to do something. The easiest is a Strat, or Tele or hollow body humbucker ala Gibson. Or the Gretsch sound. So what is the Godin sound? What does it do? It is an unknown.
    That is why I don't own one.

7. sxl213

sxl213 TDPRI Member

Nice looking guitar, likely plays well. They should change their name.

8. kilroy6262

kilroy6262 TDPRI Member

Love my Godin Freeway. How can anybody say this guitar is ugly (pardon the poor photography)? I had a phase where I wanted to try using a guitar synth, so instead of modifying a guitar I had, I bought this Freeway with the built-in ghost pickup. The synth didn't work out, but the guitar sure as hell did. Notice in the pic it's plugged in - this is the guitar I play at home. My only knock on it is that you can't use the trem without it going out of tune, but other than that, I love it. I have a MIA Strat, a '77 LP and an Ibanez Prestige. Of those three I'd say the neck on the Godin is closest to the LP.

I also have a Seagull acoustic I bought two years ago. If I hadn't been familiar with Godin, I probably wouldn't have even bothered taking the Seagull off the wall, but once I did, I bought it.

Attached Files:

9. BlueGillGreg

BlueGillGreg Tele-Meister

Off topic, but... Nice picture. I'm going to clean my canoe today & get it ready.

teleforumnoob likes this.
  10. 1Mudman

1Mudman TDPRI Member

I have always liked the Godin but the ones I have seen for sale were expensive.

11. 1Mudman

1Mudman TDPRI Member

I have always liked the Godin but rarely see one for sale and the ones I have seen were expensive.

12. Disco Biscuits

Disco Biscuits Tele-Meister

13. smokey9701

smokey9701 TDPRI Member

Let's look at this from a price perspective. If we rank guitars by value, then Godin moves up to near the top. In todays world I find the Big 2 to be way over rated and not even close to value for what they cost. I would never shell out big cash for either of the "Big 2".
    As for Godin, lest just say they are just not like the Big 2 and people rally want to see those names on their headstocks. Let's keep it that way and the rest of us can get better quality and get it at a fair price from companies like Godin. I would take a 600 dollar Seagull S6 acoustic over any Taylor or Martin for $1200 plus when I'm the one writing the check. They very good value.

drewg likes this.
  14. PLEXI

PLEXI TDPRI Member

I have a Godin Radiator from 1999. It has a 24 fret thin D shaped bolt on neck ...very Ibanez like. The neck is dead flat without even a feather buzz. It has NEVER needed an adjustment nor even the intonation tweaked. That's 20 years without a set up. My 2 Fenders and 2 gibsons need a set up every year! The sustain is killer too! My other guitars may come and go over the years but this is a keeper!!!

drewg and Z-Guyeezz like this.
  15. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Play before you buy. I had the Type 2 and it was a beautiful guitar (pickups were a little polite for my liking). However, the deal breaker was the upper fret access. You can see that the upper 'shoulder' meets the neck even higher than on a Les Paul. I'll take the blame for user error. However, my lazy thumb overhang made playing above the 14th fret a miserable experience. I had it out to two gigs and was blowing licks all over the place. If you have proper technique, I say go for it.

16. PLEXI

PLEXI TDPRI Member

I have a Godin Radiator from 1999. It has a 24 fret thin D shaped bolt on neck ...very Ibanez like. The neck is dead flat without even a feather buzz. It has NEVER needed an adjustment nor even the intonation tweaked. That's 20 years without a set up. My 2 Fenders and 2 gibsons need a set up every year! The sustain is killer too! My other guitars may come and go over the years but this is a keeper!!!

drewg likes this.
  17. Jimbodiddley

Jimbodiddley TDPRI Member

I picked up a Godin Session Custom at a Long & McQuade sale several years ago. It was meant to be a replacement for the Tele I had sold. It seemed great value for the money. I liked the feel of the neck. It had a humbucker neck pickup which iirc was splittable, a Tele-like bridge pickup, and a really nice whammy bar system.

But the more I played it, the more I realized that the bridge pickup was missing that Tele spank, and the neck pickup, too, just seemed to lack character. So I returned it and got a Squier Classic Vibe Custom Tele. Much happier.

The Godin was a good guitar; it just wasn't the guitar I wanted.

Mindthebull likes this.
  18. Mindthebull

Mindthebull TDPRI Member

They are ubiquitous in Canadian music stores, lucky us i guess. I have tried out quite a few.

5th Avenue kingpin is a great guitar. I have owned a couple of their acoustic guitars. Seagull, Norman, Simon Patrick, Art lutherie are all their brands. Good sounding and relatively cheap laminate body acoustics for campfire or whatever. Play well, stable in the Canadian climate and intonation is good and nice necks.

They also make a great aftermarket case that's protective and very lightweight (solid styrofoam) and not too expensive either. The TRIC case. I sold the guitar and kept the case for my J45, fits perfectly.

19. Twangsalot

Twangsalot TDPRI Member

The turn off might be subliminal, putting “God” in the name. Everyone knows they play well, sound well, are well made and have a distinctive look. I looked for one in Quebec City. I don’t think they sell them in Canada. I wanted a multiac nylon string or a 12 string. I’ve also looked for Ibanez on Japanese websites to buy on a trip there. Very strange. I guess they don’t want people buying them and reselling them here. Same with B & G guitars in Israel. Other than marketing, I think it’s a communist plot.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  20. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I've been pining for a Godin xtSA for the longest time. Around the $1,200-ish mark
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/xtSALTB--godin-xtsa-light-burst

- HSH (Seymour Duncan) pup config
    - Piezo acostic pup under the bridge and separate controls
    - Roland-ready synth pup for the Roland GR-55 guitar synth

Kennis Russel does a really nice demo/review on this model

northernguitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.