1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why No Top Of The Line Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster (other than the Brent Mason) ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mike M, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

For years I've wanted a good one, and surprised that Fender does not make a normal top of the line model?

They always seem to be a "second tier" Offering. The one for around $824 seems to be in the "Player" category, and I'm not crazy about the pickups (would love a great mini Humbucker in the neck) or the colors.

They make the new Brent Mason one, but not crazy about the color or second volume control, and probably don't need a B-Bender.

Would love a stock American Pro (or II) model with top of the line pickups, materials, 5 way selector switch and more color options.

Anyone have any insight? Just curious

stueycaster likes this.
  2. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That's what the 920D custom shop is for.

Skydog1010, casey2910 and Mike M like this.
  3. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

G&L makes two versions, one with alnico pickups and one with MFDs, straight from Fullerton, CA.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don’t know if they still do it, but for a long time American Standards came with factory middle pickup route. They’re easy enough to convert. Just need a pickguard, a middle pickup, and a five way.

5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

At least the American Professional v1s still had the middle rout (and the neck humbucker rout) so I'm assuming that the American Professional IIs are still routed that way.

As to why Fender doesn't do a USA Nashville version any more? I suppose that they didn't sell all that well when they had them - the Tele Plus v2 of 1996 - early 1998 were Nashville configuration (with Lace Sensors), and the first year of the American Deluxes were also Nashville configuration (call it mid-1998 to mid 1999) before returning to the standard 2-pickup configuration.

After the American Deluxe Tele went back to 2 pickups they did keep doing the B-Bender American Series/American Standards in the Nashville configuration, but there hasn't been a USA model since the B-Bender was discontinued.

stueycaster, Mike M and Jakedog like this.
  6. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Easy to build you own, to very specific preferences! Go forth and enjoy.

Many Fender Tele bodies (MIA, AFAIK) are routed to allow for a middle pickup. Buy one of those bodies from Stratosphere, in the color of your choice. Then select the premium Fender MIA neck which you like (Stratosphere), add bridge, pick guard, pickups, and electronics of your choice - and, voila! You have a wonderfully personalized Fender Custom Nashville Tele!

My American Standard Tele body in Mystic Red can easily be made to be a Nashville. (Another great thing about these bodies is they will allow you to put pretty much ANY pickup you desire in the neck position.)

[​IMG]

I have just a bit too many Teles, I'd have to admit. Most of them I acquired as separate Fender bodies and Fender necks from Stratosphere. A number of them have MIM bodies with MIA necks. All have pickups and electronics which I cherry-picked for specific results.

I consider Fender MIA and MIM bodies to be (for the most part) relatively equivalent/interchangeable. Both are routed to the same level of standard precision. The resulting guitars I've put together have turned out to be wonderful additions to my guitar collection. Try it - you'll like it!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  7. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

In my meme is my 2006 Deluxe Nashville.
    I put a Fender Super Switch in mine in order to get neck/bridge combination (instead of middle alone), threw a set of Seymour Duncan alnico pro II tele neck and bridge, alnico pro II strat pickup.
    It's a keeper for sure as is.

stueycaster and Mike M like this.
  8. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You can buy a Fender made in Mexico by Mexicans or a Fender made in America by Mexicans. Choice is such a great thing. :)

9. DHart

I put this Nashville Tele together (from separate Fender body, Fender neck, and other components) with a slight variation.

I'm running Fender CS Fat '50s Strat pickups in both the neck and middle positions. And I've wired the switch to combine both the neck and bridge pickups together. (Colt, the pup, approves. I do, too.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  10. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Slightly off topic

Was there a Nashville tele, perhaps Custom shop, that had a 2nd tele neck pickup as the middle pickup? From memory the guitar I'm referring to also had single binding, and a belly cut

stueycaster likes this.
  11. DHart

Here's a bit of a twist for ya... how about a Nashville-ish kind of Tele... made up with all Tele bridge pickups? :eek: And, this one HAS a 2013 Nashville Deluxe rosewood board neck on it.

[​IMG]

Spoiler alert - it sounds great in every position! :lol: With all Tele bridge pickups, how could it not?

The Tele bridge pickup is famous for sounding great - no surprise that it would also sound great when placed midship, or in the neck position! I was compelled to find out for myself.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  12. DHart

True. I've got quite a mix of Teles with Fender MIA necks & bodies combined, Fender MIA necks on MIM Fender bodies, and Fender MIM necks on MIM bodies - all mixed and matched up just as sweetly as if they left the factory that way.

And, I enjoy playing every. single. one. of them, with no particular bias either way.

Fender is making great instruments (as well as necks & bodies) in Corona AND in Ensenada!

13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

You're probably thinking of the Tele Plus v2 - while the middle Lace Sensor was a Strat-sized pickup they used a chromed cover for the Lace Sensor that looked like the chromed cover of the Tele-sized neck Lace Sensor. So at first glance or in a distance shot it looks like 2 neck pickups, but if you look at a close-up the middle pickup was larger than the neck pickup.

For what it's worth all 3 pickups on this one were gold-logo Lace Sensors - vintage 50s voicing.

Here's a photo I found online:

[​IMG]

14. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

upload_2020-10-27_5-59-3.jpeg

Fender Blackout Tele (MIM)

I have a friend that had one for a few years.
    Great neck on it, but if I had it, first thing I'd do is change out
    that middle pickup for some type of Strat pickup.
    The neck pickup isn't my thing in the middle.

15. richiek65

Double post

16. richiek65

That could be it, the one my band's singer owns has a rosewood finger board, but it seems identical otherwise

Edit: Bingo!
    https://guitarchimp.com/products/1996-fender-telecaster-plus-version-2-tele-v2

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  17. richiek65

Similar, but not the same as the Tele Plus V2.

Cheers!

18. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nashville B Bender (was USA).

Or as DHart says, make one.

Buy whatever tele floats ur boat, get the proper pickguard, Strat pup, and P/P tone pot for middle on.

Mike M likes this.
  19. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

Pardon the off-topic request but could anyone point me towards some iconic recordings in country music that make use of this configuration? As much as I have always known a Nashville Tele is a thing I can't connect it to a distinct Nashville sound in my head.

stueycaster, gregulator450 and Mike M like this.
  20. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Great question, would love that too. In the meanwhile, here is Zac Childs talking about the Brent Mason Tele and its uses.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.