1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why no tone knob on many delays?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tpaul, Jul 10, 2013.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I think you are on to something. Lots of giggers will be the first to tell you that all of these shades of gray are pointless for live use. Some even get aggravated when it becomes standard to have the extra stuff on most new offerings, because they never use it, or would prefer just to bypass it altogether.

In another response, I mentioned the issue of background noise that is potential to PT2399-based delays, so again - a tone control might be a way to cater to people who use a delay in a specific environment where the noise becomes an issue, but is just basically "snoring in a hurricane" when used on a gig.

It could also be simply because "low noise operation" has become a bit of a big deal marketing point. No one likes a noisy pedal, but it's oftentimes not the issue we think it is. If you play single coils that hum, use an old amp with carbon comp plate resistors, have a few beloved old pedals that are kind of hissy or hummy but otherwise just sound great, you probably really don't care.

...IMO, you KNOW you're over-obsessing with rig background noise when the PA is idling with more hiss than your guitar rig is putting out with stuff engaged!

2. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

I think the tone control is the key to the success of the Wampler faux analog echo. The dry signal is unaltered and you control the voice of the echo with the tone control. Very simple and effective. I think the voicing of the echo does change your overall tone and no doubt I can hear those differences live, at least the way I use delay. Of course, if you like the voicing of the DD-3 then you can use that delay with no need for a tone control. No doubt that sounds "right" to a lot of players.

Also in my case, I usually play clean and I think that the tone of the echo may be more apparent because of that.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  3. stlthinkin

stlthinkin Tele-Meister

I love delay repeat tone controls.

The repeat tone control really interacts with the decay/mix settings, which helps shape how the repeats sit in the mix. Tone knobs help me find: a very pronounced delay that fades away very quickly, a very subtle delay that stays audible and hangs around, a thick delay that never pops out of the background, etc...

Also, I'll admit that there are times when I hit a delay after not checking my settings and it's too buried or in your face... A repeat tone knob can often fix both issues on the fly

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've never noticed rig noise at a gig. At home, it does bug me, because I'm often playing ultra-quietly when kids are sleeping. Even when watching shows in small bars where I hear a guy buzzing like a chainsaw with p-90s under a flourescent light, as soon as they kick in - no more buzz.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.