Why No Sound Samples?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Meister

It's easy enough to record a clip with your iPhone to Soundcloud and post. So....why don't many people here post sound clips? I enjoy reading about pedals, amps and guitars but I'd much rather hear them! Ironically, no sound clip is posted here. :)

2. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

'Sound clips or it didn't happen'...? Haha - Now you've started something :0)

3. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

The tests are on youtube. I don't think i have ever heard soundclips or videos of members testing stuffs here.

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I agree.

It's weird.

And you post your new track, you get maybe a handful of responses. And yet if you have a grouch about something or talk about tone wood there'll be 50+ responses

Few here or indeed other sites post themselves playing. I've always though that's because

1) many are not particularly good/shy/unconfident about recording and fear criticism
    2) the ones that are already play out/have releases on line or other available outlet and don't need our opinions.

I recently bought the new 70th Anniversary Broadcaster and posted simple clean sound clips hosted on Soundcloud Because there was only one demo of the guitar on-line (by a pro) and I'd want to know if I didn't have one what they were like.

5. rze99

they are a few but fnot many it is true.

johnny k likes this.
  6. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I, too, wish there were more sound clips/tests from members here.

johnny k likes this.
  7. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Oddly, I’m fairly confident about recording. But, apart from that, yep, number one, that’s me.

Pax/
    Dean

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Of course, a number of us regularly post music in the Twanger Central section here.

But, there seems to be a rule against it, sort of...

MrClint likes this.
  9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'd rather not hear sound clips recorded on a phone, because they generally sound like the guitar was played in a toilet. I can't stand string noise and room ambience.

At least put the phone close enough to the cab so that we don't hear the sound of an amp 15 feet away drowning in a sea of string noise and room reverb.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Dismalhead likes this.
  10. rze99

I hadn’t spotted that.

I won’t send any more links to my music.

It’s probably a good thing so we can get back focussing on the important things like cargo shorts, tone wood and grumping about people nowadays.

LunarSlingShot, DHart and GuitLoop like this.
  11. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Meister

I normally don't post clips because our record is not out yet, all I have are demos. But let's try it anyways, rules be dammed!

Here's a tune, about vets and PTSD:

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  12. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

I’ve noted and been a little confused by that rule too.

I guess I’d interpret it to revolve around the term “promote.” I’d argue that sharing, be it part of a ‘designed to share’ project or theme, or for the purposes of education, demonstration, etc., is not promotion.

Or something.

Pax/
    Dean

teletail likes this.
  13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I remember I was going to post some home recordings a few years ago but I came up against a couple of barriers dealing with copyright. You can't post your versions of other peoples' songs, and I don't want to go posting my own material before I've copyrighted it. So basically there's nothing for me to post until I get around to copyrighting all my stuff, and that's up to about 30 songs now between my friend/bandmate and I. Some of them are damn good songs too.

14. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Meister

Yup, mine are copyrighted. It's a very simple process by the way.

15. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in most (many?) countries and in relation to the arts, doesn't simply creating something original give you authorship / ownership / copyright?

Isn't registering it or otherwise making it somehow public more a sort of proof / protection?

Pax/
    Dean

16. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    For me: I’m a perfectionist.

I record videos of me playing all the time on my phone. Sometimes I send them to old friends. But I’m too much of a perfectionist to allow something out for public consumption that is not perfect.

I’m not afraid of critics at all. There will be plenty of people who don’t particularly care for my playing - that’s life. But I at least want them to critique something that I’m confident about.

I have posted a few things here over the years. I should probably post more.

17. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    Here's an example of something I would send to a friend... but too many flubs for me to feel confident about posting here. But, here it is. I just did this last night. Bonus points if you can name the song.

18. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Hello! Would you be able to clear this up then?: I'm genuinely interested in maybe posting more sound/video clips but this has scared me away in the past:

NO PROMOS FOR BLOGS/YOUTUBE/FACEBOOK/COMPETING WEBSITES:
    You may not post links promoting your music/guitar website, blog or channel on our website. This includes using Posts, Signatures or Private Messages for this purpose. These kinds of promotions will be removed regardless of them being commercial or not.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  19. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

If you're not posting something to make money I wouldn't worry about it. I'm surprised no moderators have chimed in, but I don't think they care if you post a sample of your playing unless it's with the intent to sell it, or use it to sell other services.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  20. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    Thank you for asking. I will be glad to explain.

The rule is about using the TDPRI to promote your personal interests in a way that competes with the TDPRI. True - we have removed YouTube videos in the past. However, the reason for this was that the member who posted the video was either directly asking for subscribers so that he or she could monetize their YT channel, or their channel was already monetized by YouTube. If a YT channel is monetized - every click generates money for the channel owner. You can see how there would be a conflict of interest when someone wants to promote their own channel in an attempt to generate money for themselves.

I love the Rick Beato videos. I've posted some here and so have others. There is nothing wrong with that. But since Rick's channel is monetized, he makes money from every click. So if Rick were a member here, he would not be able to post his own videos.

Also, from time to time, we have people join with user names like "JohnsGuitarsDotCom." Not allowed. Neither is it allowed to put a personal website in your signature.

We absolutely encourage the sharing of you playing your guitar, either by yourself or with friends, rehearsals, gigs, etc. ...as long as it is not an attempt to use the TDPRI to generate traffic for your cause. We even have the subforum - "Twanger Central" that is for this specific purpose.

There is a fine line. Some times it appears that a person is trying to skirt the system... posing as a fan of a local musician, band, music store, etc.... and "innocently" posting a video or link about it, yet they are actually the content owner of the link or video. We as moderators have to do a little investigating at that point to determine where the truth is. It's not easy, and we try to give people the benefit of the doubt of course.

We can upload pictures directly to the TDPRI, but the forum software does not allow uploading of audio or video here. So if you want to upload a clip of yourself playing, you will indeed need to use a host site, and provide the link here. As long as it is simply for sharing (as my video is obviously about) and not self promotion - you're fine.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.