Why NO diagrams for 2 Volume, 1 Tone WITHOUT a switch?

RatherBeFishing

Tele-Afflicted
Is this impossible?
I just want to rig up two singes with 3 knobs and no switch.
2 Vol, 1 Master Tone (No Load)

I've checked duncan and searched the web. I cannot figure out why no one has done this.

Let me know.

Thanks

garymaddox

Tele-Afflicted
This comes close.

Just take the switch out of the circuit and connect the 2 hots together. You'll have 1 wire going to the tip but you'll need the 2 pup hots and the tone share all connected together.

RatherBeFishing

Tele-Afflicted
This comes close.

Just take the switch out of the circuit and connect the 2 hots together. You'll have 1 wire going to the tip but you'll need the 2 pup hots and the tone share all connected together.

Does this look right?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3887152385/

Thanks

garymaddox

Tele-Afflicted
Does this look right?

Thanks

No. I wouldn't do that. I think you'd lose the ability for independant volume control of your pickups. Try taking the hot from the neck pickup to one volume pot's input and run a wire out the middle wiper lug. Do the same for the bridge pup to the other volume with a wire from the middle lug. You can then take the 2 pickup output wire and connect them to the input of the tone pot. Run a wire from the input where you just soldered the 2 hot wire to the tip connector of your input jack. Ground both pickups to the top of the tone control. Run another wire from the top of the tone control to the ring connector of your input jack. Connect your cap to the output of the tone and solder it to the top of the tone control. That should work. If it's got a little hum that changes as your touch the strings or pots, you may want to connect a ground from the bridge to the tone pot and you also may want to run a ground from the volume pots to the back of the tone.

If you get ALOT of hum, you might have the polarity to your input jack backwards.

cc9cii

Friend of Leo's
I cannot figure out why no one has done this.

Convenience. Why have two movements (turn one volume up and turn the other down to get one pickup sound) when one will do (flick the switch)?

It's like having 3 "pre-set" settings, in a way.

Also, the way you have it configured in the diagram, turning one pot all the way down will turn down the total volume. i.e. you won't be able to get neck only or bridge only sound. To do that, swap the middle and hot leads of the vol pots (i.e. pickup hot wires go to the middle of the vol pot instead)

HTH & YMMV

EDIT: as usual, I type too slow...

RatherBeFishing

Tele-Afflicted
wiring.jpg

I borrowed this from the Guitarelectronics.com site. Pretend the jagged line is connected. It's the best I could do!

Cool! Thanks a lot!!
Would there be any problem using push/pull pots for phase and series wiring on the two volumes if I just follow the typical phase and series push/pull wiring?

That would be ideal, along with a no load pot for the tone control.

cc9cii,

Yeah, that makes sense. I have a strat body with just neck and bridge routing and I chose to go ahead and only have the 3 tone/volume controls routed into it. I always hit the switch, as well as the middle pickup when I'm playing.

Do you think something like 1 blender, 1 volume, and 1 tone would be better or are there any other suggestions??

Thanks

garymaddox

Tele-Afflicted
Cool! Thanks a lot!!
Would there be any problem using push/pull pots for phase and series wiring on the two volumes if I just follow the typical phase and series push/pull wiring?

Thanks

The only problem with push-pulls you have to worry about is if your body route is deep enough. Since this is going in a strat type body, I'd check it before spending all that time wiring it. The lugs on push-pulls are small and easy to short across. Watch your soldering!

RatherBeFishing

Tele-Afflicted
The only problem with push-pulls you have to worry about is if your body route is deep enough. Since this is going in a strat type body, I'd check it before spending all that time wiring it. The lugs on push-pulls are small and easy to short across. Watch your soldering!

Thanks for the advice... I know about the last bit. I wired a two humbucker strat with P/P splitting and phase reversal. It took three days of nervebreaking frustration before I unsoldered and redid everything.

Jkingma: I don't know why I didn't think of that!

I have some work to do now. I really do appreciate all of the help and advice. :p

cc9cii

Friend of Leo's
I have a strat body with just neck and bridge routing and I chose to go ahead and only have the 3 tone/volume controls routed into it. I always hit the switch, as well as the middle pickup when I'm playing.

Do you think something like 1 blender, 1 volume, and 1 tone would be better or are there any other suggestions??

Thanks

One option is to use a Gibson style toggle or even a PRS style rotary switch in one of the pot positions. Lots of other options, I'm sure, on the 'net. I personally would prefer a blender pot if I didn't have a switch.

sansa

Tele-Meister
This comes close.

Is it possible to have 2 vol, 1 tone and the switch (like having two humbuckers)??
I've just found this one
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_1t_3w
but I haven't got 3 wires on the bridge single coil of my tele. I would do also humb + single
So 3 wires with the humb and two wires with the single coil.
Thank you very much

sansa

Tele-Meister
oh yeh and I'd like also to use the one volume in the middle position(and not two volumes like the J Bass config)