Why no Brownface reissues?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Minivan Megafun, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

One of my '63 reissue Vibroverbs just recently survived a horrible fire at my friend's house. Fortunately my friend, his wife, and his children all escaped unscathed, which is of course the main thing. Falling sheetrock punched in the grill cloth on the amp, but missed the speakers, and apparently this is the only damage that the amp sustained. Being covered in sheetrock protected the amp from further damage. It sounds as great as it ever did! This Vibro now joins an early 60s Supro lap steel as survivors of fires.

A long time friend and musical associate has a '63 brown Deluxe, which I've gigged and recorded many times. Most recently, I tracked a Hammond melodion through the brown Deluxe, along with a Way Huge Supa-Puss analog delay with modulated repeats. I love the sound of keys through low wattage tube amps.

Brown is the sound, man.

Axis29 likes this.
  2. Jason Lollar

Jason Lollar Tele-Meister

I have a brown deluxe, vibrolux, pro, reverse volume super and a blonde 64 transitional bassman. The deluxe will distort more than any other fender I have and the bias trem is really nice. The super is a really sweet all around amp, the bassman having the presence control will cut more than just about any fender, the vibrolux is really warm and doesnt get too loud too fast- the pro is great for a fat clean tone. Harmonic vibrato on the pro and the super sounds sort of like a univibe which is a cool sound but IMO not as useful in a traditional way as other types of trem- slim harpo example. Sonically most of them sit between a tweed and a blackface- thicker mids than a blackface but more top end clarity than a tweed. The bassman is sort of in its own catagory- the breakup is greasier than the others for lack of a better description :)

Axis29 and Jakeboy like this.
  3. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I have clones of the brown Deluxe and the 6g6b Bassman and Jason Lollar's descriptions of both are perfectly spot on and accurate.

4. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Hi Jason!
    "the super sounds sort of like a univibe which is a cool sound but IMO not as useful in a traditional way as other types of trem-"
    I must say that I don't really play in a "traditional way." I fingerpick everything, even my Gatton tunes. I really do have my own sound even though it's kinda Cooderish. That Super Vibrat-Oh! is just perfect for me, but I also treasure the bias trem. My best buddy, well-known melodic medal player Neil Zaza came over one day, and I plugged in my Baritone Strat clone and finger-picked "Stand By Me." He said, "Stop! How are you getting that incredible sound with no pedals?" I said, Neil, It's a brown Super." I've gotten that reaction many times from other players. Also a wonderful sound playing bottleneck on one of my sliders with your "Chicago For Strat Pup! Depends on style of playing I guess?

5. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Wow cool description Jason. I'm a fan of your pickups btw, and love my blackface Strat set. Cheers for chiming in!

6. homesick345

Great to know. I need a brown everything! Thanks man :)

7. homesick345

Is the 6G11 vibrolux the ONLY 112 6L6 combo Fender ever made? Wow that makes it special indeed. I want one. A good replica.

8. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's it! You guys have done it, I've ordered the circuit board and now compiling a list of components (unless someone has that list readily available) to build a 6G2 Brownface Princeton! o_O

homesick345 likes this.
  9. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Axis29 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.