Why no 2 speaker cabs with a 10 and 12?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by boodle, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

All bets are off until you play it in the context of a band. (if that's how you usually play)

There is some knowledge to be gained by listening to an amp solo, but if you play in a band, that context is completely different and none of the comparisons done in solo mode will apply.

It becomes a matter of how well the amp plays in the sonic chaos of a band, and less about the solo tone.

I learned this from trying to get several of those "do it all" digital multi-effects units to work properly. I would sit at home for hours and dial in tones to die for. Then I'd bring the unit to rehearsal and it always sounded like dogmeat. Didn't work in the studio either. Once it was added to the mix, the sound would fall apart because it was created to be at it's best in silence. The speaker testing, and effects testing really needs to be done in context to get meaningful results.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

image.jpeg J Design built me a cab with a G10m and a G12h and it sounds great. It's the center cab in this photo and was built as a Hofner reproduction. (Aesthetically anyway)

knockeduptele likes this.
  3. Pluckit

Pluckit TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.