1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why new artists get on my nerves...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cadillac_Mike, Jan 23, 2021.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

If I want to listen to a good cover I go to Lexington Lab Band with one of our own @tonedr playing. I know it takes massive talent to sound as good or like an original. I think LLB brings it every time.

tonedr likes this.
  2. tonedr

tonedr Friend of Leo's

thank you for the kind words and support...sincerely appreciated sir.

telleutelleme likes this.
  3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I know taste is subjective, but that bored me to death- I don't understand why anyone would rank it in the same league as Zeppelin's version. It's a competently performed rote copy, nothing more.

Let's pull back a little and examine the scenario- here's Memphis Minnie's original:

Love them or hate them, Zeppelin totally transformed the song into something different. Zeperilla did their damndest to perform a not-for-note copy of Zeppelin's version, and the absolute best that can be said about something like that is "wow, they sound a lot like Led Zeppelin!"

I don't understand your analogy. What you're saying is, laymen can have whatever opinions they like about music, but once you learn to play an instrument you can't criticize anything you can't play yourself? I don't think we surrender our roles as music fans/listeners once we become musicians.

As far as needing to qualify my opinions by posting examples of my own work, I really don't care. Go ahead and write me off as a talentless hack, I'm not here to impress you or anyone else. Somebody who just picked up the guitar yesterday has just as much right to their opinion as Joe Bonamassa.

I'm not sure where you got that idea- you seem to be operating from an assumption that cover versions are inherently bad, which I would dispute.

Here are a couple examples of bands doing obscure covers, none of which look like a "s### band" in comparison with the original-

The graph itself doesn't "encourage" anything, except maybe to avoid recording rote covers of well known songs.

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know where you got the idea that I think cover versions are inherently bad. I just think there can be bad choices of covers and they can be poorly executed sometimes.

Are those songs you posted faithful versions that are sonically identical to the originals? Which is exactly was I was talking about. I hate it when I have to explain. Just go back and read the post.

5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Poorly executed anything is never worthwhile, that shouldn't require explanation at all which is why the graph neglects to mention it.

The graph makes no mention of "sonically identical" covers, just arrangement. If you hate explaining, maybe try writing more clearly in the first place.

The first two songs I posted were examples of using the same arrangement as the original, here are a couple more-

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Fair enough, if you use the same arrangement but change the tone of the guitar, sound of the keyboards if any, and have a singer that sounds different you technically have the same arrangement. But why is that not ok with well known songs but ok with obscure covers?

I'm also not going to bother to listen to those if you don't post the originals because I don't feel like going to discogs to look them up. I mean if you really want to, it's not that important to me.

7. Chas3rd

Chas3rd TDPRI Member

Kids! Just say “No” to Miley Virus!

8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Good question.

Here's an answer: the pop music business is anti-tradition in principle. Pop is about formulas pegged to sales, not "tradition." Once the formula loses its grip on sales, it must be discarded.

Here's a paradox: pop cover bands killed live music. Why? Because they failed to recognize that recorded music ate their lunch. Bands kept staggering on, playing inferior versions of superior product that could be had for cheaper. The only thing that kept them afloat economically was the nostalgia and prestige factor of wedding and corporate events.

What live bands should've done to compete was to offer audiences something that they both valued and could never get from a jukebox or satellite radio.

After Lockdown, musicians have so much to re-think it's not even funny.

9. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

This is where I usually go to listen to covers

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  10. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

Fleetwood Mac's Rumours in under 13 minutes.

swervinbob likes this.
  11. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Here in France I think that started out in the early 2000s with musical reality shows, where the young competitors had to do covers of popular songs from different eras. Since they were mostly judged by professional singers and vocal coaches, they were focusing on doing the most impressive rendition from a technical point of view, without making the song their own.

IMHO, that's a pretty disgusting side effect of a society mostly based on rating and competition.

12. ChrisLarcombe

ChrisLarcombe Tele-Meister

13. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I didn’t think Miley’s version of Heart of Glass was too bad.

Blondie did it with a sort of effortless class......
    Miley did it with a forced lack of class........
    If Miley could channel some of that bad girl energy into her music, who knows?

If there weren’t new artists, music would die off. I still like the old stuff, but I realize I have passed my sell-by date.

MilwMark likes this.
  14. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Well... I don't get why new artists nowadays have to cuss a lot while a lot songs and performances are so sexual. It makes me worry about what my kids are listening to or watching.

15. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

They don’t bring anything original to their originals, why would anyone think that they would bring anything original to a cover?

Now get off my lawn, you’re messing up my clouds!!

16. ForgeHound

ForgeHound TDPRI Member

There's plenty of great artists nowadays, more than ever thanks to the internet, its just good music isn't corporate like it used to be, so you have to find it

17. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

More Miley here:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.