1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why new artists get on my nerves...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cadillac_Mike, Jan 23, 2021.

1. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Is that just to be a member of this club here, or is that a general principle? If an actor doesn't like a painting, should he/she provide a video copy of his/her last stage play to prove he/her deserves an opinion?

Just here? Just musicians? OK.

If the gal that sings 12th century Celtic songs and accompanies herself on Dulcimer, or the guy who plays Indian Classical Sitar, don't really like Eric Clapton's "whitebread and salad cream" impersonation of Freddie King, should they offer examples of their hobby to qualify for the right to an opinion? Who judges their work? All of us? Then, all of us have to supply samples of our performances, right? What gives us the qualification to judge the Celtic singer or the Sitar player?
    So, to be fair, we need two castes of TDPRI member: those who have a sample of their work on file ... they can be called the Brahmana, and the hoi polloi who haven't posted an audition ... we'll allow to them scrounge around politely asking questions, but not offering opinions on performances ... we'll call them the Shudra.

Or, just let all consumers judge musical creations as they please.

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Yep, see your angle

24 track likes this.
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@Stanford Guitar - pretty please ask your daughter if she knows the cover artist. I would love to hear this version.

In my head the subject cover is by the Cocteau Twins. Which would be perfect. I’ve so much from them for inspiration on how to write guitar based punk guitar parts and songs it’s not even funny.

4. MilwMark

I take your point.

Counterpoint - IMO, to dismiss an entire generation of artists and a beloved tradition (every original concert includes a cover) is broad brush, (again IMO) lazy and incredibly reductive. It’s also just incorrect in this case, but that part is most certainly just my opinion. Regardless, IMO it should at least be backed up by examples of the dismissed doing it better (in his opinion).

I seem to have struck a nerve so I’ll slink away.

5. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Slink if you must, but you're still not getting it.

I've been an actor. (Really) So, I get an opinion about movies (if I post a video)and someone else, who has never acted, shouldn't opine? That's too funny.
    How about this ... if a person has experience as an audience in a musical context (a listener, if you will), then that person is qualified to judge the experience of listening to a performance. A layman has experience listening to music ... so they get an opinion on how something sounds. If a layman gets an opinion, a player does as well.

NOW, you get to dismiss their opinion forcefully! (Based on your differing opinion, not on their qualifications.)

I feel you, brother. I have strong feelings about "informed opinion". But I can't wield that expertise in professional music to disenfranchise the less experienced. They are consumers. They get to express themselves, even if they are generally wrong.

MilwMark likes this.
  6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Two bass players?

7. MilwMark

I think we’re probably in not very violent agreement (again), actually.

Context matters. We’re in a forum for musicians. Which is not me being elitist. But it’s a site about gear used to make music. Abound with a phone and internet connection can put their stuff out there. We’ve done 1 professional studio album out of 7. The rest were varying forms of self-recorded and released.

All that is required is a phone and the internet. YouTube and Facebook are quite literally (in my case) littered with one take phone performances ...

So on an actors’ forum, not a stretch to say be willing to share your own truth before critiquing others, IMO.

But yes, people can and should have opinions about art in all forms.

If I were to share mine about the clip they started this thread it’s that OP chose the wrong clip to illustrate his point (which I disagree with in any case).

Blondie’s version has a distinct disco feel to me.

MC’s is much more rock/glam. IMO.

You know what they say about opinions and assholes.

I have plenty of the former. And plenty have called me the latter.

8. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Not always.

Cadillac_Mike, MilwMark and getbent like this.
  9. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Old artists playing the same thing for the same audience - now that gets on my nerves. :cool:

Cadillac_Mike likes this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I remember when the original recording came on the radio, I went immediately and got the cassette! I think these guys (Black Pumas) are a duo that somebody got all the right records and sounds too and they have such a HUGE amount of talent, the mix is fantastic. They don't do that much different on this, but I see that as 'don't ya mess up a good thing' the hook is too much the song... I think it is cool to have the boy version of it...

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Miley is talented and my thought is that her covers might turn some kids on to some music they don't know...there is plenty not to like about most "popular artists" today but there are a lot of good ones and Miley is one.

koen likes this.
  13. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

It’s a Spinal Tap cover. ;)

NoTeleBob and David Barnett like this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

This brought a chainsaw to the axes of discussion.

15. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

(never mind)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  16. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

If I do that, people might say stupid things, like the Evil Dead remake is good. Can't have that.

17. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

Calypso is a style of Afro-Caribbean music.

Rocksteady is a rhinoceros.

18. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

Jacob Collier can cover the ever living daylights out of anything he sets his absurdly talented mind to, and add (and sing all of the) jazz harmonies and (play all of the) layered instrumentation.

Mary Spender can strip anything town with her delightful clean fingerpicking and crystal clear voice.

Adam Neely can rearrange any pop song to sound like something rich and full, and play the tastiest bass lines out there.

It goes on.

If you're gonna say "kids these days" based on what gets pop star clicks, then you should be comparing them to Shelley Fabares, the Boone family, etc.

19. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

These kids can't add anything to a cover:

radiocaster likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

As a TDPRI member I gotta say that shakuhachi has intonation problems and needs compensated tone holes.

Anacharsis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.