1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why new artists get on my nerves...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cadillac_Mike, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

It's my little sister's birthday today and she's showing us some of her favorite Miley Cyrus videos. I think she's definitely talented, has a gifted voice, plays piano... We watch a video of her doing a cover of "Heart of Glass" and there's absolutely nothing unique about it. I mean sure it was an impressive cover but they added NOTHING original to make it their own, just a bar band cover of the song basically and banking on the fact Miley is singing it (with a voice that doesn't fit the song nearly as well as the original). So when it comes down to it the only appeal of it is "OMG isn't it cool that Miley would cover a 70's classic like that!?" That's all you gotta do nowadays to make a hit, just play nostalgia service with a big name singer? In the 70's and 80's artists and bands that covered older songs had to actually add their own twist to renew it and make it a hit. "Pretty Woman" by Van Halen for example.

Anyways, rant over but it just annoys me. What do you guys think?

2. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Also, look at them danged ol’ clouds. Let’s shake our fists at ‘em.

3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

is Miley still considered new? she's been around for many years now.

4. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Joan Jett, OTOH, owns every song she covers.

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Joan Jett owns me--and she doesn't even know it.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

626265-508b45a71e96e79e0d66c864aa5b8423.jpg

7. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Anacharsis, muscmp, NoTeleBob and 5 others like this.
  8. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

The 1987 book The Manual: How To Have A Number 1 The Easy Way by British record producers KLF mentioned doing a beloved cover song as a way to help ensure a hit, because of the built-in nostalgia value of the song. “Heart of Glass” is a great song — kids who have never heard it will love it, and parents will buy it because of the nostalgia, so win-win.

Regarding Van Halen, after Eddie died, I remember reading several articles and interviews that said he didn’t want to build the band up by being the world’s biggest cover band, but producer Ted Templeman did. Because of that, Eddie worked hard to add his own individual stamp to the covers.

I’m really only exposed to modern pop music when I hear it at the gym, and I see the names of the artists on the TV monitors. The other trend I’ve noticed is a massive shift towards stars getting together as duets and trios, so lots of credits that now read “performed by John Doe, and Fred Smith, and Snoop Run DMC Dog,” which is another way to juice record sales , err, downloads as the kids call them these days.

9. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Stupid clouds!! All fluffy and stuff!

10. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I thought the Miley "Heart of Glass" cover was cool. Her voice is grittier than Debbie Harry's.

11. drewg

drewg Tele-Meister

Reading your title, I was going to say, "Old artists were once new artists, too." But I actually agree with the sentiment of your example. Seems like there's a lot of unoriginal covers floating around in pop music these days. Lack of original songwriting? (I can't speak to hip hop because it's not my thing).

In big production Hollywood it's the same, if not worse. I believe the concept is called "pre-awareness". (i.e. it won't flop because it's already a hit)

nojazzhere and Cadillac_Mike like this.
  12. Cadillac_Mike

Unless the original artist wasn't marketed well, most hit cover songs have to actually bring something new to the table. I love good covers but I didn't hear anything that made it worthwhile enough to get that sort of recognition. If Van Halen did a faithful bar band cover of "Pretty Woman" back in 1982 and the only difference is that DLR is singing not Roy Orbison, I'm guessing that would've been ridiculed.

drewg likes this.
  13. cmm71

cmm71 Tele-Meister

Remakes are a tough sell for some. I heard a remake of "Stairway to Heaven" once and I came up out of my daydream like George Brett coming out of the dugout when Billy Martin called him out over pine tar on his bat (YouTube that reference). I think she did a fair job. When it comes to the "younger" generation, we could do a whole lot worse than Miley Cyrus.

14. Cadillac_Mike

Right, you hit the nail on the head. It's brilliant marketing appealing to a diverse age group. I just feel like back in 1987 if some popular artist did a faithful bar band cover of say The Beach Boys and added nothing unique to it yet tried to pass it off as something worthwhile and new, that would've been ridiculed.

srblue5 likes this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm not a fan of the new stuff out there at all, buy Miley Cyrus can really sing and bring emotion to the song. As for new kids on the block doing covers, I would point out the Lovell sisters' Rebecca and Meagan of "Larkin Poe":

16. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Most covers are lackluster by nature, unless it's little wing by srv... or a rare breed of individual who makes it better than the original artist...

drewg likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Young people still get obsessed with Disney characters?

DNestler likes this.
  18. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

19. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

20. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Ha Ha. Oh, man.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.