Why my brother is smarter than I...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tlsmack, Aug 24, 2019.

1. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I had the most minor of fender benders in a Whole Foods parking lot. Both cars were in reverse pulling out of spaces. We barley touched. I pulled back into my space and started moaning about how this is going to ruin my whole day and be a major hassle.

My brother looked at me like I was an idiot and said " do not get out of the car." I said let's get this over with, but he insisted we just sit there. Sure enough, the other car just pulled away and drove off. Lesson learned. Never occurred to me that the other driver does not want to ruin his day either!!!

2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

some days you have to not follow your instincts, especially if things dont work right , come back with a clear head, its never as big as think it is

8barlouie likes this.
  3. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Same thing happened to me. I did get out. I had no idea who was at fault. There was some cosmetic damage, but nothing outrageous. I said to the woman (who also didn't know who was at fault), "I'd just rather pretend this didn't happen and not get insurance companies involved." She wanted something to bring to her husband. I gave her my insurance info and my number and told her to call me if she wanted to do the insurance thing. Never heard from her.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In your case, her husband was the OP’s brother ! :lol:

In every scenario, as long as one person is streetsmart - everything’s handled!

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Something "kinda" similar happened to me.....an older lady with a green light stopped DEAD in the middle of a left turn, with me right behind her, and I couldn't stop before "tapping" her bumper. We pulled over to the side, and looked at damage. NOTHING that I could see on my car, other than slightly bent license plate. Her raggedy Toyota had all kinds of previous dents, scratches, etc. She wanted to exchange info, so I did. I also got ID's from two witnesses, who agreed that there was virtually no damage, and the woman was at fault. (legally, though, it WAS my fault) I didn't hear anything from her......for six months. By that time I had misplaced witness info, and she was filing a claim on my insurance. My insurance apparently decided to pay rather than fight, and I ended up paying for a POS Camry to get a complete new paint job.I should have called police.....at least they could have noted the minimal extent of damage.

6. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Brilliant brother! Living on L.I. I'd think you'd be used to it by now! Lots and lots of parking lots on L.I. :)

7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had a distracted lady bump in to me at a stop light because she was texting. I got out to check the damage, fully knowing it couldn't have been much. I looked down and there were simply two marks from her license bracket bolts. I was all prepared to just say "I can live with that"...but she opened her mouth first to say "Ok, that's nothing. Now can we please go? I have a house showing I'm late for..."

That's when I said, "You know, in some of these low speed collisions the impact absorption buffers can be activated and need replaced. We better exchange information and turn this in!"

If you're gonna be stupid...you gotta be tough...got a check for $700.

8. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I got bumped into by a guy on purpose in 2002.

I was waiting to make a left turn with my signal on. Another driver saw what happened and stayed for the police report. It turned out the man who hit me was some trust fund guy who had a lawyer to follow him around and write checks. He was as we say now, "Dealing with the challenges of mental health." or as we also say now "some idiot with a screw loose".
    The $900 came in handy at the time.

Oh yeah, and both of my brothers are smarter than me!

Straydogger likes this.
  9. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Yup. Now that I think back on it. She did call me, but just to say her husband didn't think the damage was worth the trouble. It was nice that she called. Getting out of the car isn't always torture :).

10. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Same thing happened to me. It was raining and my car slid into the back of another car. From my perspective my car nudged the other car's bumper. I got out and did the same routine as my last post only this time the lady said something about "resale value" and took her car into the mechanic. The body shop, of course, found some problem. New bumper . . . all kinds of unnecessary crap. These days, though, so many things in our economy seem out of whack with common sense. Health care pricing, for example. I just chalk it up to the way institutions control the flow of money. I don't consider myself a patient a doctor wants to help when I go to the doctor. Experience has demonstrated that I'm merely a unit of profit in the eyes of my doctor, the insurance industry, the whole health care racket. Same goes for other industries. People, more often than not, merely represent units of exchange.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Straydogger and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Glad it worked out!

12. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

Years ago when my youngest son was learning to drive, I was riding with him and he didn't brake hard enough with a big jacked up pickup in front of him stopped at the stoplight. He barely tapped the pickup's hitch. He was instantly in full-anxiety mode and was about to get out and apologize and do the insurance thing. I told him to hold on and see what the guy in the pickup does. The light turned green, and the guy drove off. I think he never even noticed. We were in my son's car and it did leave a small mark on the car, and he felt rotten that he did that to his pride and joy, but we didn't have to deal with rates going up or anything...

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

or....maybe your brother has been in more accidents than you.

14. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

I've had terrible luck with fender-benders.
    So, I'm rear-ended while I was stopped at a light.
    Exchange ins. and driver's lisc. info. Turns out the lisc and ins card were FAKE!
    Next, rear-ended again while stopped at a light. I spoke with the other driver who agreed to pull off the road, etc. As soon as I pulled into a parking lot he took off at high speed.
    Next, I was going to an important job interview. Lady makes a crazy manuver (in the rain) and causes a minor wreck. No more than a fender-bender. After my two previous bad experiences I wasn't going to let the woman get away without paying. She agreed that it was completely her fault but, well, she had no ins. ARRRGH! I demanded money on the spot. She had $57 which I kept. Not enough to pay for the repair, but it was something.
    I made it to my interview on time (Whew..) and gots de job. (bicycle shop manager)

Mark

15. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Then there was the time I was the victim of a hit and run while sitting at a red light. My car was totaled, I had only some minor whiplash.

I didn’t file a claim on their insurance . . . Since they were long gone.

16. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Guy in front of me was supposed to merge because the coast was clear so I proceeded forward because of course he was going to merge - but he didn’t .

So I hit him.

Small import pick up truck. Problem was there were two transmissions in the bed of his truck which proceeded to fly forward and hit the back of the cab and then come back bouncing and smashed into the tailgate.

He gets out of the truck all wobbly holding his back and -

It’s one of the guys that I’m about to do a group presentation with for some crazy graduate class I never should’ve taken.

He was not pleased. And, they barely let me do anything in the presentation because they didn’t trust me because I was so much younger than them.

I didn’t like college much…

18. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

I was at one of those stoplights that stay red till your purple. I put it in reverse to back up to speed the light up.Did not look hard enough and backed my o4 Camry into an off the lot Audi. His lights were on but he came so but close, I never say him. I backed up about, 2 inches, literally. I'm 64 and he must have been 84. He said, "why did you back up into me". Like had a a devious plan. I didn't bother to explain, but brought him down to his bumper and all possible contacts point;NOTHING. If he would have been 12 inches back or a proper 2 feet, I would have never backed up cause I would have seen him. I told him to use his phone and do my license and the cars plates. I said if you have a problem, here is my number,said sorry and left.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.