Why MTV Declined

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ribsspare, Feb 14, 2019.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Will do! I love Portlandia!!!

Area51 likes this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Like many people in this thread, Spike doesn't have a TV...

Area51 likes this.
  3. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

A point that needs to be made; most reality shows are not simply cheap to produce but many make a profit before they even go to air through product placement and sponsorship . That is why they are almost everywhere. That is a big reason MTV still makes money.

They have pretty much replaced soap operas. The competition shows have replaced game shows.

4. mikecorey

mikecorey TDPRI Member

MTV decided it would be wise to go after the audience of morons. As it turns out, even the morons think MTV is stupid. It's realy time for that mess to give it up.

5. dekelogic

dekelogic TDPRI Member

I could not stand that stupid woman who kept stepping back and forward while “VJing”

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

its demographic grew up, and the new kids had the internet

plus, martha quinn was the older generation's fantasy of cute and available -- but we X'ers saw her as an employee, not a hottie

and Kurt Loder was a downer

the new people were just fodder stuffed into the breach when Quinn left

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  7. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”Why MTV Declined”

Rodeo killed the video star

8. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Rap killed MTV

That and Carson Daily

9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Radio stations used to have DJ's that chose their own music and it was awesome. Then the music selection became programmed by a bunch of psychologists and they quickly began to suck with repetitive song choices and a lot of artificial pop songs. MTV was the same way. They really were the video music station and it started out with different personalities playing their favorites, but then it started to meld into something else with game shows and other nonesense.

Maybe that is just the way of a music culture? I think we have all commented on a band or two where we felt their "old stuff" was better before they became well known and started putting out uninspiring songs. MTV may have just been the same way, new and creative at first, but corrupted by the money into losing the mojo that they once had.

10. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

MTV stopped showing music videos because music videos were not content that they directly created or controlled. That left their own success largely dependent on the success of the music industry. That’s not a good place for a television network to be.

People forget now but there was a fairly significant decline in music sales in 1997 as alternative rock and gangsta rap vanished from the charts. It turned out to be a temporary blip but it had a lot of people at the time wondering what the future of the music industry was even going to be (it was the first year over year decline in sales since 1991).

Moving to homegrown content allowed MTV to take their fate into their own hands. For better or worse.

11. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I have not read all of the previous responses, but in my view, it's not just music video channels that changed. When cable television was still in it's infancy, the "premium" channels were all different as well. There seemed to be a push to compete with network television, and the HBO, Showtime, and other movie channels all went the way of network television. (they used to show just studio made movies), whose content changed monthly.

The music networks also seem to have followed that same trend. They went from "all music videos, all the time" to more network television type fare. Myself, I miss the old days of having MTV playing videos all day, but I'm just old now, and mass marketing television doesn't cater to "older people" like me. I still like shopping in "brick and mortar stores", and using my cell phone as just a phone, not a music player, internet hub, social club, and not the center of my existence, (I'm really showing my age here, LOL). The almighty dollar is what drives the entertainment industry. Where it has gone is just the evolution of what advertisers will pay for....my .02 cents.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    ndcaster likes this.
  12. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Mostly because they stopped playing music videos.

13. alexpigment

alexpigment Tele-Afflicted

People often hate on MTV for declining, but there are several fairly simple reasons and it all comes down to how length of viewing translates to advertising dollars.

In the early 80s, it was all rock and new wave videos, and therefore someone into those types of music could realistically sit there and watch for hours without a huge urge to change the channel. A few years later (83-84) there was a push to put more black artists on the channel and I believe CBS threatened them to either play certain videos or they would pull their entire lineup. So MTV was forced to get a little more diverse.

In the latter half of the 80s, you started seeing a split between metal ("hair metal") bands, adult contemporary videos, and bubblegum pop. In the late 80s and early 90s rap became a huge part of the rotation. So once you get to the early 90s, the general playlist of the channel was so diverse that it was extremely unlikely that one person would want to stay on the channel for more than a few videos before changing the channel. What are the odds that a fan of Mötley Crüe is going to stay tuned for the Paula Abdul video that followed, the Dr Dre video that followed that, and the C&C Music Factory video that followed that?

If any of you know anything about TV advertising, the advertisers pay top dollar for sustained viewership (e.g. a whole 30 minutes or an hour of watching). To combat this, MTV started doing programming like The Real World and Road Rules, where it was much more likely for people to finish out watching the show or group of shows. Essentially, MTV had to follow the money in terms of advertising dollars. I know they also had shows like Alternative Nation, 120 Minutes, Yo MTV Raps, etc, but these were not on enough to really keep sustained viewership - and especially weekly show loyalty - and therefore the advertising dollars were coming in mostly from the reality shows.

MTV2 started (original called M2) and was pretty great for people who loved alternative/rock/underground bands, but I am almost positive that MTV was footing the bill for that channel for the first few years. I'm sure someone came in and decided to stop one part of the network from bleeding money, so that channel eventually went for more/longer commercials and eventually reality shows.

Short version of the above: you can't make a lot of money in advertising when your playlist is so diverse that you can't get people to watch for more than few videos without changing the channel.

ndcaster likes this.
  14. john_t

john_t Tele-Meister

One of MTV’s highlights:

Andy Summers likes this.
  15. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

The music stopped...and the crap began. Period.

D8429FB6-4EB7-4657-BB5C-3DA4271A68AB.jpeg

16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

this is a brilliant explanation

17. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I declined MTV when they stopped playing music videos.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.