why locking tuners on a tele?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by adjason, Jul 28, 2021.

1. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i never had any tuning stability issues with the vintage tuners in my jazzmaster. i think people just hear "locking" and think they're like a locking nut or something. and if you have a locking nut, they'd be unnecessary anyway.

but they are easier for quick string changes. thing that i don't understand is, who of us mortals are changing strings so much that it's a problem to use regular tuners? i can see that being useful in the heat of battle, where you only have one guitar, but most people where it's mission critical will just have a backup guitar. or if you're a big shot you have a tech, so i guess it makes it easier for them. or if you record a ton as a session guy and put new strings on every session.

so i'm not really sure the point of them myself for the average person. they either seem like something that is unclear for the user, or the user likes to have "tactical gear" that probably won't get much use.

2. MTPoteet

MTPoteet Tele-Meister

My guitars rarely go out of tune, some with cheap no name tuners on them. However I don't use the wammy bar on my Strat even then I'm not sure locking tuners would help.

3. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Friend of Leo's

I two guitars that came with locking tuners. They do speed up re-stringing a bit, but I'm not feeling like I need to add them to any of my other instruments.

4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Why locking tuners? Because then you don't need to argue with people about the proper way to wind strings. ;)

5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire

No negatives, super easy string changes. Plus they look cool on the back of the headstock.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I do (I change strings after 6-10 hours of actual playing cause I hate dead wound strings since twang is important for me).

I can change strings with regular tuners in 5 minutes flat ,I have a few guitars with lockers and they cut the time by almost half, but the difference is only 2 minutes so it is insignificant.
    Still I have seen people that need 5 minutes to change ONE string :) so for them lockers are godsend

RyCo1983 likes this.
  7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Locking tuners on my strat, because squier stock ones were poo even without whammy use.

Favorite tuners are the slotted top vintage style ones, because I can change strings faster and they stay in tune better than the other ones, without a lock knob on the back.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  8. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Holic

I prefer staggered tuners and losing the string trees, cosmetics have nothing to do with it. My guitars with staggered, locking tuners seem to stay in tuner better then my others, but that’s just my opinion.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  9. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I’ll go one further as I float the vintage and two point non-locking trems on all my Strats. I have no tuning stability issues with traditional tuners provided they are strung properly and are properly stretched. A well cut, lubricated nut makes or breaks tuning stability.

Telenator likes this.
  10. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

As it has been said by many already, ease of changing strings, especially if you change them rather often as I do, plus increased tuning stability due to reducing (if none) the number of wraps around post. But, if you have a good stringing technique, then the "tuning stability" factor is a non-issue. I use the following method for non-locking tuners, but most of my guitars have locking ones. Gary Brawer demos on a Les Paul (3+3) but it's the same for 6-in-a-row (same method as the top 3 of a Les Paul):

mandofrog likes this.
  11. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Never ever used them, I only ever use vintage split.

12. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

WOW!!! So you can do one extra string change per week!

13. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Unless you're really bad at stringing a guitar, locking tuners make no difference to stability. They don't help your guitar stay in tune.

Tuning issues happen in the nut.

Locking tuners don't do what a lot of people think they do. They basically just tidy up your string ends. I like them, but I prefer Klusons split posts.

14. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Locking tuners make string changes a breeze. They don't do much for tuning stability, except that you can wrap a lot less string around the post without slippage, and that adds to tuning stability. I bought Hipshot Open Back Locking Tuners for both of my Teles because the tuning ratio and the smoothness of the gears was perfect for me. And I use Graphtech TUSC XL (Teflon impregnated) nut and string trees on both Teles. Sometimes, I don't even need to tune up for days.

Happy Enchilada likes this.
  15. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

It‘s so easy to change strings on vintage tuners. Done right and no slipping possible.

279F16C9-B1A8-49E3-8501-77B951DFBA8B.jpeg

Tuning problems are by the way for >90% nut problems. You’ve got a good chance for neck dive especially on a lightweight Telly with locking tuners (besides the ugly look).

Chipss36 and black_doug like this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen people screw up the "no slipping" thing with locking tuners. They wrap the string just like they were stringing the guitar normally, usually with the same massive number of coils they were using before.

17. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

I never owned a Tele, with persistent tuning problems and prefer vintage sets....but I bought this guitar with fancy tuners already fitted and saw no reason to swap them out.......:rolleyes:

370858-2dcbd6905201eebb5e55abca9527aafe.jpg

hemingway, DanCooz and Chicago Matt like this.
  18. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

Bit of a contradiction here.

I do believe they add to stability as reducing the number of wraps around the post reduces slippage and the bit of give that strings initially have. This is my experience, purely empirical, but it's proven to be this way time and time again, as I have guitars that have locking tuners, and some without. My stringing technique is impeccable, and once the strings in non-locking tuners properly set in (matter of minutes, especially after a good stretch), there's no slippage if done correctly. I posted a video showing the technique that I use, it has worked for me for years and it's pretty darn easy to learn.

19. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

In case you misread my post - I'm with you on locking tuners. I don't use them on all my teles though, as they stay pretty in tune with vintage style tuners.

What I recently tried out though are gotoh tuners which look like vintage but are locking. They are also pretty lightweight, which for me is a plus.

G&Lplayer likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

It's the one mod you can do when you have a perfect guitar, without ruining a good thing.

Remember, online gear chat is more about buying selling and modding than playing music.
    Just compare the number of posts about playing music to the number of posts about buying and modding.

So when reading all the suggestions to "upgrade" a Tele by taking off the split shaft tuners and putting on locking tuners, it might be worth considering the crowd.
    Like hammers see every problem as a nail, hobby modder buyers see every guitar as a set of future upgrades.

Harmless fun and after the fun you can sell the thing after modding it, unlike skiing golfing or drinking in bars!
    I do dislike traditional non split shaft tuners though, because the string end has to stick out and will punch holes in fingers.

As far as taking modding advice from players who can't string a guitar with regular tuners so it stays in tune?
    Hmmm.
    Once again, consider who is giving the advice!
    As far as saving time?
    I'm not really convinced since in my 40 years of guitar modding and working as a guitar tech, the time it takes to cut & wind is very small compared to all the other stuff, like posting on guitar forums which wastes way more time the stringing guitars.

I have a tuner winder on a cordless drill by the bench so spinning up a string takes one second.

richiek65, Thorne, teletimetx and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.