why locking tuners on a tele?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by adjason, Jul 28, 2021.

1. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Maybe I am missing something. I see lots off guitars for sale where people say "Locking tuners added" I have never felt the need for locking tuners but I have never had a guitar with them. Is their benefit keeping strats more in tune if one uses a whammy bar? Is there something that makes them better than regular old tuners? What I am missing? I think they are heavier than regular tuners so there must be a benefit- do they keep guitars from going out of tune?

2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Friend of Leo's

I like them mainly for ease of string changes. The tuning stability is a bonus but not the main draw for me.

3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Planet waves have a self cutting feature and Fewer wraps on the string post equals easy and fast string change.

Fewer wraps around the post equals less chance of compression of the coiled strings which may equal tuning stability.
    I’ve had locking and non locking over the years. Not a great big deal, but also no downside IMO.

4. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yep, I do it for the 10 second string changes. Like Steve Goodman, with none of the actual talent.

5. _MementoMori_

It's so nice. Especially if you're lazy and put off string changes because of the time it takes. It removes that excuse completely. Of all major tuner types, my favorites are vintage style tuners and locking tuners. And I love them about equally.

6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

They save time and no slipping.

7. Drew617

Same. I really want to like the traditional (modern 10mm, non-locking) Gotoh units because they're great quality and available for about $30. But they've got a straight, non-fluted string hole that's harder than normal to thread...

OmegaWoods and _MementoMori_ like this.
  8. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

String changes and possibly improved tuning stability. 2 of my 3 Telecasters / Esquires have locking machines. Like them but also don't mind the vintage Klusons.

Muku, wpod and OmegaWoods like this.
  9. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I had those on a Tele once, loved them. I sold the guitar and that’s the first thing the guy changed.

985plowboy likes this.
  10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Locking tuners are for people with trems, and people who just haven't mastered an effective method of stringing their guitar.
    I have never experienced a tuning stability problem with non-locking tuners on a non-trem guitar.

11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Just fast(er) restringing.

I can change a set of strings in 5 minutes with the classic vintage safety tuners while a set of lockers is faster at 3 minutes.

2 minutes is a LOT of time to save since I am a superstar and have very important things to do and very limited time on my hands.:D

I change strings every 6-10 hours of actual playing so this means I can save at least 3 minutes PER WEEK!! (if I use the same guitar for playing throughout the week which I don't since I have 12 guitars :D)

My nut(s) are perfectly cut and I know how to properly string a guitar so locking tuners on trem or non trem guitars give me zero added "tuning stability".;)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  12. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a set of those. Meh... They work OK so I won't bother replacing them, but I still prefer vintage style split post.

gazzie, dvh2, BarnKat and 2 others like this.
  13. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What superstar changes their own strings??:D

14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You got me :D

mandofrog, BarnKat and JimmyDaFish like this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My favorites are the PRS locking tuners on my 87 Custom. A quarter turn after the mechanism catches, and teh string is roughly in tune.
    None of my other guitars have locking tuners, and I don't really have issues with tuning stability on any of them. But string changes take longer.

16. 440mhz

440mhz Tele-Meister

My MiM Tele Nashville Deluxe came with Fender Locking tuners them and I love the ease of stringing, plus they stay in tune better than 1/2 dozen other tuners I've had including other locking tuners. Especially when I keep my Tele in it's hard case

RMLamey and scotman like this.
  17. pi

pi Tele-Meister

I have a guitar with locking tuners. I don't notice any improvement in tuning stability compared to traditional posts.

I think people like them because it's easy to restring.

GeneB, Chipss36, kilroy6262 and 6 others like this.
  18. Drew617

Every once in a while I pick up a used guitar that's nice enough, and otherwise set up well - obviously came from a serious player - but looks to have been strung by somebody with no understanding of the physics involved. Almost maddening, and I figure that's a guy who's still going around blaming his tuners, tremolo, necks...

BlueGillGreg and BarnKat like this.
  19. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

In addition to quick string changes, locking tuners usually come staggered, which may eliminate the need of string trees. That can be a cosmetic benefit to some players too.

GeneB, slimfinger and _MementoMori_ like this.
  20. _MementoMori_

Just experienced that with my cheap partscaster that I keep gushing about. It came to me strung with poor tuning stability specifically on the high E and G strings. I just restrung it yesterday and it's fairly solid now for having stock Squier tuners.

BarnKat and Drew617 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.