1. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

Hey guys!

I recently uploaded a video about my fascination with jazz recently and it really has been a revelation so I thought it would be cool to share it with you guys.

What has been a factor that has changed the way you look at guitar?

I would love to hear your stories.

Cheers!

G-52, RomanS, jays0n and 3 others like this.
  2. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Lovely playing, and great vid... subscribed.

I start a six week jazz guitar workshop tonight, although I don't know that I'm very interested in more modern stuff, impressed as I am by people like George Benson.

I've sort of backed into jazz as I've gone further down the rabbit-hole with guitar. What I've long been most interested in is playing Western Swing/Big Band style, and while I could learn to mimic a bunch of individual songs and techniques... figured it was time to get back to the source music and move forward from there.

Doug talks about Freddie Green and jazz in the beginning of this vid. If I could play this kind of music every night, I'd be in heaven.

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I admit I love a lot of jazz and there is some I struggle with. My fave right now, I am obsessed with Makaya McCraven. He’s a 21st century Blakey. Great hands. And really upbeat. His music brings me joy. But that’s cool. Everyone has different preferences.

4. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

for me it's because there isn't a better way to get theory under the fingers on electric that doesn't sound dumb, hahaha. and chord melody stuff is useful everywhere. i'm more into weirdo jazz, but i don't know what else to look at as far as theory fundamentals on guitar...functional harmony in rock n roll is not really too interesting to me. but, jazz is also useful for all kinds of r&b and latin american music, some country too. once you learn the tricks of it, you can use them as a basis for all kinds of other styles.

5. buster poser

This was it for me. Most everything in modern music emanates from those foundations, at least the overwhelming majority of music I'm interested in playing.

KrenarCilku and loopfinding like this.
  6. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I like the extended, ambiguous harmonies, I like the behind the beat feel. I like the stress on demanding and original improvisation. I like the focus on music more than on stage effects and "dynamic frontmen."

I mean lots of people like KISS and loved Diamond Dave: fine, great, they have millions of fans, they aren't injured at all by a sphere of music that emphasizes a different set of priorities. Jazz isn't the only thing I like but the above is why I like jazz.

7. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Why Jazz?
    Why not?

El Tele Lobo, KrenarCilku and PhredE like this.
  8. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Holic

I'm convinced TDPRI is the best guitar forum on the interwebs.

Threads like this one only reinforce that . . .

9. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

My dad loved big band jazz, it was the soundtrack of my growing up. My brother took guitar lessons from an old jazzer. We would practice what he learned at lessons. In college I had friends who were into bop.
    I guess playing jazz was just inevitable:rolleyes:
    Like loopfinding says all that jazz technique can be applied cross genre.

El Tele Lobo and KrenarCilku like this.
  10. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

my dad is a singer who can bang out the cowboy chords, from his rockabilly days, but now is more interested in things like standards and tango. and he's about to retire. i'm trying to get him to just learn his drop 2/3s and shell voicings, it's so close and would open up so much to him.

11. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

cause even wrong notes, can be right notes if you know what to put them against.

12. buster poser

I agree, it certainly did for me when I started digging in early last year. Didn't even know they were called drop 2 and 3s, but it's covered a few different ways I guess. These two are really solid primers on shell and those inversions at least for what I'm playing, might help?

13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My interest in jazz started in high school in stage band, the high school big band. Guitar is part of the rhythm section in a big band. I learned a lot of chords and substitutions for chords my fingers wouldn't play. In college, I played a guitar thing in the freshmen talent show and was asked if I could play bass. Same as guitar, right. The big wide one that stands 5 1/2 ' tall? Not quite, but I learned to play it. Unfortunately, on guitar, I could never "hear" what jazz guitarists were playing. I knew major and minor scales and the blues box. I didn't know landing and passing notes and I didn't know how to solo off the chords. I went on a long hiatus from guitar for career development and to raise a family. When I came back to guitar, I learned to play country. That got me out of the blues box and forced me to learn scales and chords again. I joined TDPRI and learned from many folks here. @Marcus Nalgaber posted a thread playing a Dorian mode blues. I learned the mode by composing a jazz number using it. I learned the scale up and down the neck and how to write harmonies in the mode. I learned to use landing and passing notes. I’m studying scales now and how to use notes in the scale of the chords. I’m using notes that work with their neighbors. This lets me rearrange blues and pop songs I played 50 years ago. It sure beats playing the same old same old.

Maguchi, P Thought, PhredE and 4 others like this.
  14. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Holic

Yup, everything is only a half step (semi tone) away from pulling it off. ;)

15. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Pat metheny and modern jazz guitarists really blew my doors off. But it's a love hate thing for me. Still can't comp. Might need a lesson for that.

Love the freedom of jazz improvisation. Flektones style. Jaco is another huge inspiration. Such knowledge and free flowing music.

16. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

Thank you so much buddy, I appreciate it a lot!

I'm brand new to it and yet, I'm already daydreaming about playing in a quartet!

buster poser likes this.
  17. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

To answer op's question, it was deciding to play jazz and starting lessons a couple of years ago. I'm not what I'd consider good, but it made me better at most everything. Theory, dexterity, improvisation, even just believing that I'm capable of playing a new song.

18. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

I might have to check him out, thank you for sharing buddy!

Killing Floor likes this.
  19. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

yes!! Exactly, that's one of the main reasons that I started getting into jazz. The melodic side of jazz and the fact that it just helps you ease into getting to know your instrument better is what got me , no brainer! cheers!

20. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

hey man, glad to hear that, cheers!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.