1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why isn't Mazda selling its new truck in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by E5RSY, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

Mazda wants to be an "alternative to premium" brand in the US. They want to be the stepping stone between your honda/toyota to lexus/bmw. Trucks don't fit in that business model. I was the GM of a mazda store from 2011 to 2017. Around 2015 the President of Mazda North American Operations was replaced with a japanese dude and *EVERYTHING* changed. A lot of great changes to the product that were not sufficiently marketed. They paid out a lot of the corporate old heads to take early retirements. The guys that had built the relationships and knew how to talk to people. They hired a bunch of kids that were really good at spreadsheets and everything went to crud.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

That is hilarious. I didn't realize that Subaru's marketing was so ... creative.

3. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

If I could get a truck the size of the '80's Toyotas, I'd be all over it. I've kinda been thinking about either a Tacoma or a Four Runner. I have a Honda now, but the new body style of the Ridgeline doesn't do it for me.

4. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Not in my experience.
    One of those is historically perpetually difficult to find used, as owners tend to cling to them. At least around here.

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mazda is going RWD inline six like BMW and Merc, JLR for their Mazda 6. They are indeed going to try positioning themselves above Toyo and Honda as an in between brand. They're small in the US but big elsewhere.

For a while they ousted the Toyota Corolla as top selling car, and small car until the Hilux and similar utes took over as best sellers around 2018. Mazda is second biggest seller in Oz off the 3, CX3 and CX5.

Hyundai I30 has since knocked them off for small cars. Hyundai is third in the market.

Since Ford and Holden stopped selling cars made here Holden is defunct and Ford is down to fifth hanging on by its fingernails. If the Ranger tanks Ford Oz is toast. Nothing else they import sells much. Losing the next Ranger as an in-house design is alarm bells.

6. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Wanted one of those back in the 70's and even one of the more recent models. Very practical, small truck.

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

If it makes y'all feel any better, this is the only mazda truck available in Japan:
    bongo.jpeg

Chuckster likes this.
  8. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

The old ranger was not made by mazda. The old mazdas were rebranded ford rangers. The engine was a descendent of one that was in the pinto.

9. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

We run a 7 seat Hyundai Santa Fe with a similar '4wd' set-up, without a centre diff.
    No high/low range, and 4WD is engaged by a switch on the dash- and cuts out automatically at 19mph.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

We have a new, huge Madza/Toyota plant nearing completion of construction, here just west-northwest of our airport.

Hope springs eternal.

:)

[​IMG]

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Can US trucks match this?

Sconnie and Deathray like this.
  12. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Why isn’t Mazda making a trimmed down small 4WD truck with manual windows and vinyl floorboard trim and selling it for 25k. I think they’d sell close to a million?

13. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

I recently bought a Mazda3 hatchback (my first Mazda), after starting out looking at my “Go to” brands, Honda and Toyota. I was originally thinking I would get a Civic hatchback, or possibly an Accord. The current Toyota offerings are just ugly to my eyes. I always research way too much online, and while I was looking into the Civic hatchback, I kept hearing about the Mazda3. I decided why not drive one. I don’t know why I never had.

To finally get to the point, the Mazda3 (AWD!)blew me away in all categories, compared to both Hondas. I used to sell cars, and I immediately recognized the similarities to the German vehicles I’d driven. Mazda is definitely carving a niche between the European makes, and the other Japanese offerings. I’ve owned A LOT of Honda products, but they have a lot of cheap looking, hard plastic interiors, higher interior noise levels, and small 1.5 ltr engines, pumped up by turbo chargers. The Mazda 3 is quiet, has a beautiful interior, with lots of padded parts, and handles like a sports car. The engine is 2.5 liters, and naturally aspirated. It has “adaptive headlights” that turn with the steering wheel. The seats are a “zero gravity” design, and there is no fatigue after a long time behind the wheel. Don’t get me started on the 12 speaker Bose! Lol

I would definitely be interested in a small truck from Mazda. As much as I loved my Tacoma, I’d give it a look!

here’s my Mazda:
    C96D3A1D-CDF1-46D2-B6B2-DA3EBFEE221C.jpeg
    F9D922D5-565E-49F4-BA22-2D62E2D1A562.jpeg

Stubee likes this.
  14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

It’s right here, man! 5 speed manual, 4WD, hand-crank windows, under 20k!
    80AA54B1-0917-43E8-9DC3-84B80074F709.jpeg

Tele-beeb likes this.
  15. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I have no idea how far off the ratios were for the Australian Scooby Roos, but what you've described isn't rare.

A huge percentage of the Jeep Wranglers you see running around everyday have part time four wheel drive, with warnings not to engage 4wd on dry pavement. There are a couple reasons for this, including a slight difference in gear ratios between the front and rear axles (something like 0.01). Again it's not the ONLY reason you shouldn't be driving around the mall lot in 4wd but it's one of them.

Some newer Wranglers have full time 4wd and I think Rubicons have the same ratio front and rear, but all those JKs in Saraha and Sport trims have different ratios front to rear.

16. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

the mazda looks like hondas truck

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.