1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why isn't Mazda selling its new truck in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by E5RSY, Feb 26, 2021.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I don't get it. Is there a bigger truck market than America?

Ever since we bought a new Mazda a couple of years ago I have been hoping for a big truck from them. I have been very impressed with their quality, features, and reliability.

What goes into these decisions? Hopefully, one of you sage acolytes of Tele-dom can shed some light on this for me.

Scott

2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

From the internet:
    The BT-50 would make a handsome addition to the Mazda lineup in the US. Unfortunately, there is a huge impediment keeping that from happening, but there may be some reason for hope. It’s called the “chicken tax.” Back in 1963, President Lyndon Johnson imposed the 25% tax after Europe imposed tariffs on the import of US chickens. It applies to light trucks.
    For foreign manufacturers to get around the tax they must manufacture anything with a bed in the US. So for Mazda to add the BT-50 to its US lineup it would need to build it here. It could be a separate assembly plant or piggyback onto an existing plant making Mazdas. Currently, there are three Mazda US plants, two co-owned by Ford.

3. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I don't know, but I'm guessing it's a combination of the fact that the US truck market, while large, is also pretty well saturated. I also believe that Mazda still manufactures all of its vehicles in Japan, and thus its truck would be subject to the Chicken Tax on light trucks. The relatively small market Mazda would hope to gain is probably outweighed by the large costs to start manufacturing trucks in the US for sale to the US market.

4. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

It's a mid-sized (not 'big') truck anyway right? About the size of a new Ranger/Colorado.

5. E5RSY

So, Japan is in Europe???

:confused:

dented, DADGAD and IMadeYouReadThis like this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

BTW, is the modern Ford small pickup made by Mazda like the old Ranger was? or is it an entirely Ford thing now? Does Mazda even still sell a small truck in the US?

DADGAD likes this.
  7. E5RSY

You are correct. I just consider them "big" because I still remember how small the original Japanese trucks were.

dougstrum and IMadeYouReadThis like this.
  8. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Looks like a Ranger to me anyway!

For a few more frustrating things like this:

The Toyota Fortuner is to the Hilux what the 4Runner is to the Tacoma. Unlike the 4Runner, its available in a 4x4 turbo diesel with an manual transmission. Like the Hilux, its not available in the US.

Volvo offers a turbo diesel XC40 with a manual transmission, but not in the US market. Jerks.

The Mazda pickup might have a different reason for not being available in the US as others have stated, but generally speaking these things are because the American auto market sucks. That's thanks to us Americans wanting fat soft slow dim-witted automatics so we can carry a dozen big gulps while tweeting at politicians and swerving at pedestrians :eek::mad:

RomanS, drmordo, archetype and 2 others like this.
  9. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The old Mazda was a rebranded Ford Ranger. They were made by Ford

JKPickin and mexicanyella like this.
  10. E5RSY

If you go further back, I think the relationship was reversed: I believe the old Ford Couriers were the same as the rotary-engined Mazda trucks.

11. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

True enough. Their old B2200 was way, way smaller iirc.

12. schmee

Just the opposite I thought but I guess it was a Ford after the mid 80's after all!

13. Gardo

Yes they were. The Ford Probe was made by Mazda as well. But the Ranger was a Ford

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  14. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

While the tax arose from a trade dispute with Europe, it applies to all imported light trucks. Under NAFTA, trucks manufactured in Canada and Mexico are not subject to the Chicken Tax.

15. E5RSY

It does to me, as well; which is strange since Ford and Mazda parted ways six years ago.

Sconnie likes this.
  16. schmee

The new Mazda BT50 is actually an Isuzu I guess. Diesel! Isuzu little trucks used to be very good but the importation stooped I think?
    "Mazda shares the 2021 BT-50 platform with the Isuzu D-Max truck. ... A 3.0-liter four-cylinder turbodiesel engine will now be powering the BT-50. The new engine features 188 hp and 332 lb-ft of torque. Plenty of grunt for the package."

17. Gardo

18. E5RSY

p.s. Mazda trucks are currently re-badged Isuzus, made in India I think. Not Japanese manufacture.

FWIW.

p.p.s. @schmee beat me to the punch.

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought a new '90 Mazda B-2600 with fuel injection, mine was setup for premium fuel, and would run a hole in wind. It would out do a Chevy V8 pickup of the same year in the quarter mile, AND didn't have a top speed limiter. I don't know what it would run but I had it over a hundred and twenty one time, it felt like it weighed about two pounds at that speed. My wife said she was glad when I traded it in on a full size GMC because she feared for my life in that thing. That was my middle aged crazy car!

nojazzhere and Chuckster like this.
  20. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I didn't know that status, I probably would have guessed they were still partnered up. From other posts here it sounds like they're still mingled with US plant ownership oddly enough.

What's more, the new Rangers (and this Mazda) also look exactly like the new Chevy Colorado. For the most part, designs are blending together across the entire industry.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.