Why is your Tube amp better that a Monoprice Stageright 15w?

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
I have an Epiphone Valve Jr. with Bitmo Mods, a Weber Hemp speaker, a Fender Champ transformer, and JJ tubes. The amp cost me $130, and parts and labor about $200. It's now an excellent practice amp. Will it compete with a Fender? Don't know, don't care. I do know it sounds good to me.
IMG_0842 (2).JPG

kmckenna45

TDPRI Member
Question...are you using a EQ pedal with your Stage Right?
Pardon my ignorance - if the amp has a 3 knob eq (Bass, Mid, Treble) plus it has a "Tone" control, how does an external EQ Pedal help? I only know of EQ's from Stereo use - never tried one with a guitar. Thanks.

thejackofhearts

Tele-Meister
Pardon my ignorance - if the amp has a 3 knob eq (Bass, Mid, Treble) plus it has a "Tone" control, how does an external EQ Pedal help? I only know of EQ's from Stereo use - never tried one with a guitar. Thanks.
No worries. Yes the amp EQ is a good place to start however with say 6 band EQ pedal you can really push different aspects of the sound spectrum in varying directions. You can up (or lower) the bass, mids, and trebles to your liking with the guitar(s) you currently own. So, say you have guitar pick ups that seems a little weak in the mids, with that EQ pedal you can boost that up, brighter...or lower. Its something that can really shape tone in a nuanced way. I always say the two most important pedals on a small rig is a really, good tuner (Petersen Strobo Stomp), and a EQ pedal. With those two you're on your way.

I know this may sound a little abstract, so check out some vids on EQ pedals. I think those Pedal Show guys did a whole episode on the subject. And see if its for you.

I should also say have that I have that Stage Right amp as well. When I first got it, I was like what the hell is this. However, I'm a Fender amp guy so British voiced amps aren't something I gravitate to a lot.
But a friend convinced me to let the speaker break in and he was right. I was able to dial in the amp / speaker with my 70s MXR 6 band EQ...and with a Gibson ES 335 that little amp really hits.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Hibernian

TDPRI Member
Second (third?) the suggestion to try an EQ pedal. Cheaper than a new amp and for me, I managed to get the sounds I want from several amps, including a Blues Jr, that always left me wanting more. You can change amps endlessly, but a decent EQ pedal can be bought once and done.

timbraun

Tele-Meister
I've got a few amps, and a lot of them are 20 - 30 Watts. I haven't played a Stage Right so let's assume they sound just as good.

Some of my amps are British voiced - Vox. Some are Fender. (I don't have a 20 w Marshall). Some of my amps are Canadian voiced - Revv, Garnet and Traynor. Then there's a Mesa .22 and a Egnator.

They all sound good. They do sound different. These days I'm attracted to the Vox tones.

So... If you get the tone you want and the amp don't break down too much you're not getting anything from more expensive amps.

I spent some money to chase the tone I wanted with giggable reliability.

turftone

TDPRI Member
These threads crack me up. I am shocked - shocked! to learn that a $200 off-brand amp with a 70/80 doesn't sound as good as a $1000 PRRI! Who would have ever guessed? :D

I might also disagree with the conventional wisdom that if you can't hear a difference, just stick with what you have. I would say exactly the opposite: if you can't hear a difference, you need to try other things until you definitely can! Then you'll know exactly what you're dealing with, and know what you want and what you don't.

Another point to make from that is just because there IS an obvious difference between a Stage Right 15w and a Deluxe Reverb, or Princeton, or other good amp doesn't mean the SR is "bad." It just means it is what it is. As a home practice amp, or even a "grab and go" band practice amp, it's awesome for the price you pay. For under $250 what is going to beat it? I wouldn't take it on any world tours, lol, but it's not really designed for that, is it?

kmckenna45

TDPRI Member
Hello Kmckenna45,
Let try an Harmony H304:
2 diff tubes in preamp,
1 x 5Y3 for redressing
+ 1 x 6V6GT in Amp,
= near 6W
& a Jensen HP 10''Alnico,
(from 1962..)
= The Best little Amp never heard.!
So, I have 1..
100 times better than a Laney..
- Bye, a french guitarist,
living in France, near Paris..
- 67yo, but always R&R..
(12 elec guitars, 3 drednoughts,
10/12 amps & a Schatten for p.u)
I wish I could find one - they look great. Sold out in the US

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
I have an Epiphone Valve Jr. with Bitmo Mods, a Weber Hemp speaker, a Fender Champ transformer, and JJ tubes. The amp cost me $130, and parts and labor about $200. It's now an excellent practice amp. Will it compete with a Fender? Don't know, don't care. I do know it sounds good to me. View attachment 907017

Haven't seen one of these for a while. It's like the Mazda Miata of guitar amps. It's so customizable. I bet it's a little screamer with upgrades.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Coming late to this interesting thread. Just here to reiterate the idea of using an EQ pedal. I've been EQ-curious for awhile, since so many here swear by them. My wife got me a cheap Joyo (MXR clone?) for Christmas, and it blew my mind how such tiny (precisely focused, thanks to the six bands) EQ adjustments can have such a big effect on the overall tone coming out of the amp. You can fine tune pickups that get weird in certain settings or with certain amps, or fine tune amps that get weird with certain guitars. It was an eye and ear opener.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Haven't seen one of these for a while. It's like the Mazda Miata of guitar amps. It's so customizable. I bet it's a little screamer with upgrades.

The guitar store the next town over had a couple of the Jrs (unmodded) for the last month or so...both head and combo versions (they ran them on Reverb as well). I convinced myself I didn't need another small tube amp, only to purchase a Stage (f)Right 5w combo a couple of weeks ago :cool:, which is a great sounding and fun little amp. Depends on the day and what the fickle meter reads for me...😂🤣😂🤣.

I guess the only Stage (f)Right tuber I'm missing at this stage is the 30w head...no more room at the inn.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister

I enjoy spending my money on increasingly complex audio hardware and instruments / amps with only esoteric advantages over said entry level, yet solid hardware.

"The Esoteric Science is not general information; it is not a theoretical philosophy that may be read or studied then discarded at will. It is a way of life that leads the aspirant towards full awareness and development, towards higher intelligence and the discovery of the mental dimensions… in addition to the unlocking of inner powers."

It's a cork sniffing hobby, even when we are cork sniffing the proverbial Franzia spout.

At the end of the day, all my money used to go to drink and women of questionable motives (my choices all, most of it I would still do again) .... now I am happily married and a Teetoaler, so yes, I think I will buy that 2015 Wine Red Les Paul Studio from the GC used website at 3:45AM. They say the neck on those is something like 0.1 wider on either side of the E strings.... I think that and the extra mass of the neck should really finally make me feel at home on the neck of a Les Paul .... because the 5 others that I have just aren't quite right. I will know for sure tomorrow, tracking says it will arrive before 5PM.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a Mononprice Stageright 15 w tube amp. I really like it for bedroom/practice. I’d like to sell it and get a better Fender-ish tube amp - but After trying out a Fender Blues Jr IV and a Peavey Delta Blues 115 - I just don’t hear an advantage. Can you tell me what I need to do on a tube amp to make me hear the difference between a Fender amp (less than $800) that would justify me selling the Monoprice 15W and buying the Fender? Forget about the volume. 5 W is probably loud enough. And it’s not that im in live with the Monoprice - but I don’t see (hear) a benefit of a Fender amp (under $800) and my $225 Monoprice (Laney) amp. What settings do I need to adjust on the Fender to convince myself???

I'm not sure I'd like a blues jr any better than the monoprice, but I like a pro jr better, because it's not a master volume amp. Don't get me wrong, a pro jr is still a cheap amp, but it responds and does the thing for someone who can play.
What "the thing" is, depends on your playing, not a setting. A pro jr barely has settings.

Last edited:

teletail

Friend of Leo's
Good point, fasteddie.......IF the OP can compare his Monoprice to any Fender (especially a Princeton or even a Champ) and IF he doesn't hear a difference, then he should just keep the Monoprice. Don't let other people tell you what sounds good.....decide for yourself.
+1

I don't understand people who worry about what they aren't "getting" or "hearing." There's nothing to "get;" if you can't tell a difference between a Squier Affinity and a Fender Custom Shop (or what ever) then save your money and be glad. I think we really need to stop worrying about what the other guy feels, hears, sees and trust our own instincts.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
It really doesn't matter what anyone says or suggest to you. The sound you are trying to achieve should be your own personal sound and not a copy of your favorite big time super noodle guitar hero. People say 15 watts isn't enough to gig, some say 100 watts is too much to play in your room. 8, 10, 12
20220304_203908.jpg
, 15" speaker what do you do? Tube, solid state what do I do?
Problem solved, slave the 13 watt into the 100 watt, 2×12" and 2×15". Perfect for any occasion.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
+1

I don't understand people who worry about what they aren't "getting" or "hearing." There's nothing to "get;" if you can't tell a difference between a Squier Affinity and a Fender Custom Shop (or what ever) then save your money and be glad. I think we really need to stop worrying about what the other guy feels, hears, sees and trust our own instincts.
You probably already know this, but after years of witnessing this in a number of folks, I realized it was due to fairly extreme insecurity. A good friend of mine, an incredible drummer with whom I've played since the mid 1960's, simply won't perform without being surrounded by a "Neil Peart" kit. Now that many ensembles are "downsizing", and even using drummers with cocktail kits or Cajons, he has to bring his custom-ordered DW set, with a couple dozen drums. (or so it seems) He also likes to bring up in discussions how much the set cost, the difficulties DW had in getting the custom finish right, and how much effort it takes to get them tuned precisely......none of which really matters. I've heard him sit in with other bands on super-cheap sets, and he sounds great. When doing jams and using other sets, he insists on bringing his own "special" cymbals. In his mind, price is what determines quality, in any instrument. It's just the way he's "made". :(

Carcinogen

Tele-Meister
My amp is better because it’s the same amp but I swapped the speaker with an Eminence Red Fang so now it’s louder and sounds bigger. And I put stickers on it.

Last edited:

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
No reason to convince you. You have convinced yourself.
My cardinal rule of buying any gear: if you can't hear, feel nor perceive any tangible difference or advantage to the new/different gear then don't buy it regardless of what the gurus, pundits or guitar media says.
The guys who do the gear reviews or demos may be good or great guitarist but their opinion on gear is just that- an opinion.