Why is "Vintage" defined as pre-1974 in this forum???

Buffalo0993

Tele-Afflicted
This is nonsensical. And inaccurate.

There is essentially no difference between most 1969 Teles and nearly all 1970 and 1971 Teles other than transition away from shrinking and cracking pearloid-backed PGs during 1970. In fact, having had a LOT of Teles from these years, I've found the 1970 and 1971s to be consistently better guitars in fit and finish, and subjectively in lighter weight and sound.

As for value, I'd invite you simply research that.
Everything I said was subjective and cannot be incorrect. I was talking about how I approach the guitar market

It started with "for me"

True it doesn't make sense to draw a hard line there in that spot. But it's somewhere in there. Again, for me

slack

Friend of Leo's
Everything I said was subjective and cannot be incorrect. I was talking about how I approach the guitar market

It started with "for me"

True it doesn't make sense to draw a hard line there in that spot. But it's somewhere in there. Again, for me

Fair enough. But I took "There is nothing particularly valuable about a 70s strat or tele" to mean monetarily, market-wise, not to you, so to speak. And subjective or not, what I pointed out about your cutoff year was purely factual; a moot point based on your acknowledgment here. Bump up the cutoff to 1972 and older and I can work with that. ;)

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
I've had a lot of early to mid-70s Customs, and while they've been inconsistent in quality of fit and finish and sound, they've been consistently lightweight and not had thick finishes. Black finish often being thin poly over bare wood. Sunbursts being lacquer over clear poly base. Walnut also lacquer over clear base. Most weighed in the 7-1/4 to 7-3/4 lb range.

Well, the ones I've played have all been pretty well made with tight neck pockets etcetera, and their WRHBs at the very least have been consistently good. But funnily enough most I've tried have been heavy as hell, apart from a modded (and thus quite worthless, especially at the time) '73 that was my main studio and stage guitar for a long while - and also the one I still regret selling. That was a killer axe!

The ones I've got now, a '75 and a '76, are both excellent players, but quite weighty as well. But still not as heavy as my '73 LP Deluxe, because she weighs in at a healthy 9.7 lbs :D

slack

Friend of Leo's
Nah, bump it up to 1981 when Customs and Deluxes were discontinued and we're good. ;)

Let's count the times I've posted that it should be 1982 and older for Telecasters. It was the end of the three decade production run of the original Telecaster. Period. ;)

(Of course, 1982 also includes the "new" Telecaster and the first reissues... But, you know what I mean.)

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I‘d think it would change every year. Isn’t classic, vintage or antique just a unit of measuremen? 20 yr, 40 yr and 50 year increments? Somewhere along those lines.

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted

It started with "for me"

"Everything I said was subjective and cannot be incorrect."

The end.

Fredmant

TDPRI Member
So, no none knows why this forum specifies pre-1974???
Maybe the neck bolts? I know people say e bolt tilt necks came out in 1971, but I have a blond 1973 Tele and it has a 4 bolt neck plate. By the way, my 73 is as good as any Tele ever made.

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
Here's how I view guitars.

50 years old or older - Antique

30 to 50 years old - Vintage

20 to 30 years old - Nicely broken in

10 to 20 years old - Used

5 to 10 years old - Barely used

1 to 5 years old - Minty, tone for days, with a neck like butter. No low-ballers, I know what I got here!

😞

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
Likewise! But I consider my '75 to be 70's vintage, because according to Oxford Languages, the term denotes "something from the past of high quality, especially something representing the best of its kind". And the Custom was, without an inkling of doubt, the best guitar of its kind during CBS's tenure ;)

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
So if it was set at 30 yrs when the forum started, wouldn't that mean VINTAGE IS NOW ANYTHING BEFORE 1992?

Yes it would. You guys need to adjust what you think vintage is. If 30 years was OK when the forum started, why isn't it OK now?

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
So if it was set at 30 yrs when the forum started, wouldn't that mean VINTAGE IS NOW ANYTHING BEFORE 1992?

Yes it would. You guys need to adjust what you think vintage is. If 30 years was OK when the forum started, why isn't it OK now?

Even back in the 80’s pre cbs guitars were still considered sought after superior “vintage” guitars at that time they were 20 years or less old

But today a guitar from 2000 is not a superior instrument or sought after (with very few exceptions)

Just how it is

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
Yes it would

Not really. According to Oxford Languages, vintage is something "denoting something from the past of high quality, especially something representing the best of its kind". So if anything, the cutoff should be put at 1965 because pre-CBS guitars are commonly thought to be the best of their kind.

But yeah, the cutoff at 1974 is just as arbitrary as anything. I'd put it at 1972 myself and would include 70's Customs and Deluxes as well, but that's just me.