Why is the Tele so inspirational?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ironbird, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Ironbird

Ironbird Tele-Holic

Is it because it can do everything from elegant to aggressive?

Is it because it has the power to evoke hidden emotions with its primal sound?

Tell me why! I'm all ears.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I think it's because despite the fact that it's a pretty simple design, you can wring so many great sounds out of it. And they're a helluva lot of fun to play.

3. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Funny you ask that!! This is something I sent my friend and band mate at about 9:15 tonight...

"Something about a Tele just REALLY gets my creative juices flowing for some reason..."

4. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Tele-Meister

So many reasons, it really does have a throaty bottom end for rock, I usually do Satriani stuff or Hendix on my Strat, but when I do Purple Haze on the Tele, the bottom end just growls. So that growl, that Keith Richards wall of guitar, is one thing.

For cleaner Jazz, Metheny type licks, the neck pickup really is a prime sound, full and rich.

The middle position, set through a chorus really gives you a sweet comping sound that I love for some of my more Eric Johnson-esque numbers.

The bridge pickup with tone rolled right up for country is classic and needs no further explanation.

Then bends are, for lack of a better word, delicious. You can really move the strings around and get a variety of tones.

I have a Strat too and its much more versatile, so much so that if I had to choose one guitar to cover any genre, it would be the Strat. But the Tele has that certain character that really gives a song a whole new sound. And strummed, in the middle position, you can sing and have a decent acoustic feel to the backup.

I love my Tele more each day. A solid workhorse with its simple design. And there is something delightful in its simplicity, you are doing more with less and that always feels satisfying.

5. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

Its so simple form of guitar, "plank of wood" that feels balanced when I'm playing, and its got Attitude. I played a strat for years and something about the strat felt like yeah Hard and loud screaming, a tele feels like soul and weeping to me, it can scream as well.

6. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Was it Gordon or Stew that you posed the question to? ; )

The tele has the most mojo.

7. Ironbird

Ironbird Tele-Holic

'Mojo' could be it, but it's very definition is subjective, isn't it?

There's something so indescribably fulfilling about the playability and sound of a Tele. Sure, it's versatile - so is a Strat. But there's something about that simplicity, about it coming from the very first page of electric guitar history.

There's also the fact that you can't hide behind a Tele. It's a very honest guitar, it sounds like you do, if that makes any sense.

Please keep the discussion going, kind folks!

8. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Part of it is the simplicity. It's a clean design with uncluttered controls--though the tonal options are endless--plus graceful lines, and as many modification possibilities as there are guitar players.

Sometimes, something just works. Like cereal box tab/slot closures, which have remained the same throughout my entire lifetime.

9. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

In the time of 1909, in the house of Fender amid the orange groves near Anahiem (to be known later as Mouse Mecca), Clarence, who was also called Monte and his wife Harriet begat Clarence, who was also called Leonidas. And as Leoidas is a mouthful, also called Leo was he. In the time of his youth, Leo took up wire and solder and began to tinker. And in such a time did he also encounter loud music coming from a speaker of loud, whereupon Leo spake "It spaketh!" Then in his manhood Leo did cause to be made a radio shop, and within did he tinker more in order to provide food for his table and roof for his comfort. Soon after he did tinker in yet other ways, with wood and wire and yet other wires, and assembled did he an instrument with which to twang, and through a speaker of loud to spake yet more and varied musics. And having assembled he, he bestowed upon it the ability to speak, and Leo then verily spake unto it "Spake!" And it spaked. And Leo looked upon it and listened to it, and saw that it was the knees of the bees, which was to become pajamas of the cat, which was to become nifty, which was to become cool, which was to become groovy, and then cool again, and then awesome and also cool once more, and he saw it was pretty darn good. He called his first born of wood and wire Esquire, whose name then became Tele. Then Leo did cause to be sent forth many of Tele and bretheren and sisteren, to spake in many ways to many peoples, spaking such things as the peoples did wish it to spake. And the world thus became a cooler place as speakers of loud spaked loudly of the coming of Tele among them.

Inspirational? I hadn't noticed.

10. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

It's a blank canvas.

11. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

It doesn't give a flying fig about PhDs

12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

It feels good to play, it goes from pretty to gritty and everywhere in between, and the controls are so simple that you don't have to fuss with them too much to get the tone you want so you can focus on playing.

13. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

A workingman's dream from the get go. Simple, but effective.

14. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

The simplicity is only half the story.

For those who want the world's greatest tinker toy, well, there are dozens of them. 5-way selectors, coil-tapping, pre-amp knobs, whammy bars, extra strings, out of phase switches - load up the options and see what you can do. Many great guitars have more options than a new car.

For those who want to focus on what they're playing and creating, the Tele is there. Block of wood, 2 pickups, couple knobs and a pickup selector. Not many options. You don't need the options to play, though.

It's the guitar for those who want to put in the work and dedication to get the most out of their playing.

This is the same reason tube amps are appealing over modeling amps - you have a simpler setup. You spend less time tinkering and more time playing.

Creators worry less about the equipment and focus on what they can and want to do. Teles speak directly to that.

It's not why I play a Tele, but man, it's made learning how to play so much easier.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

16. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

For me it makes ma a better player! I grew up on Strats and LPs. One day (2008) I was getting back into playing after a hiatus. My amazing wife bought me my 1st Tele. I could not put it down. I found how I sounded great on a Strat and LP, well a Tele had brought out all my short comings as a player. It forced me to really concentrate and become a much better player. The Tele also felt right in my hands. I never have had to fight to make it comfortable to play. Now 6 Teles later I find that my other guitars all collect dust while I always reach for a Tele. You just can't go wrong with a Tele.

17. Dave84

Dave84 TDPRI Member

It has been mentioned before, but for me it's the simple elegance of the guitar. I feel like playing a tele creates the shortest path between my brain and sound coming out a speaker.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

First, I'd go with the honesty thing.
    Whatever you say with it, good or bad, comes out straight.

Second, I think the bridge pickup has such an extreme dynamic range from clarity to coloration, that once you get to know it and learn to work with it, you can send almost any signal you want to the amp by varying picking and muting dynamics.

I like the solid grip between the ribs and forearm too.
    None of that comfy ambiguous Strat ergo mush.
    And the spacious scale to stretch out on, with just the right resistance pushing back.

I guess the second pickup has its place, but IMO Leo had it nailed with the Esquire.

19. daveandshelle

daveandshelle Tele-Afflicted

I just like them..and I like em straight ..ash..a couple of pick ups three piece bridge..everything I want is right there...Played on Sunday with my bone stock 68 maple cap...got off stage...someone comes up and say says what kind of pick ups you have in that thing...I say back...bone stock..I do have aftermarket pick ups on my luthier built stuff but they are largely recreations of vintage tele pick ups..

20. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

I think it's the somewhat contradictory nature of the Tele: it is extremely simple and elegant, but it is not particularly forgiving or comfortable to play. It's a damn plank, and a blank canvas. It challenges you as a player and it rewards you when you work a little harder.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.