1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why is the cabronita so expensive?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mke52, Mar 4, 2010.

1. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

You're certainly right about the CS thing. I just thought you low-balled your price estimations is all.

2. The OB

The OB Tele-Meister

if the cost of the tv jones pickups is prohibitive .
    why wouldnt those slave laborers in china wind there own
    as is the case now with there cv models .
    btw squire if youre reading this you have to call them OB jones
    now !

3. Dizi

Dizi Banned

I can honestly say I have every intention to never own a CS model anything.

4. cband7

cband7 Friend of Leo's

I have to admit I had no idea what a Cabronita was - looked it up and was impressed by the fact that one of the colors they offered seems to be an exact match to canned cat food. These custom shops are so clever......

5. Targ

Targ Tele-Meister

Dance around it all you want, we all know the reason they cost so much,

GREED.

My custom shop tele with two pickups, double bound, and flame maple neck was half that price.

6. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I'm waiting for the Squier La Cabronita. Wait 5 years.

And John Mayer is a Cabronita.

7. minmei

minmei TDPRI Member

I like the top of line answer, so its expensive . . . aren't custom shops like $3000 or more?

I asked a guy at school that knows Spanish, 'what does cabronita mean' and he said, cabron means donkey butt, bastard, usually used friendly jest.

Or used as an expletive.

It also means a guy who cheats on their girlfriend or who's looking around. He said don't say that to the cholos or chicas because they will get upset.

He said it means "little cheater/donkey butt/bastard" .

Doesn't Fender do their research?

oh it also describes my stupid boyfriend

So my brother's band has this church gig, and they are playing at the youth party / dance with several other bands. Its not our church or same type. They have me sing one song.

So I'm singing Lord, When You Came to the Seashore / Pescador des Hombres, which someone else sings the Spanish part cuz I don't work in the meat department.

Someone moves this huge amp in the back so people could sit, and I catch my boyfriend holding hands and making out with that girl in Hillmont's glee!! I was about to cry and run off but my brother jumps off stage and gets me. So I finish the song but its all sad.

More on another thread. I don't want to hijack like that evil guy like in Speed / Waterworld movie.

Beware of buying guitars with names that would cause Santana to either laugh or punch you.

8. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I am so glad someone brought this up. I've been wondering the same damn thing.

9. Chewy

Chewy Tele-Meister

Cabronita Backlash!!

10. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

If they came out with a MIM version, with the TV Jones, I'd be all over it. Just not the cat food color please.

CC

11. Harvy

Harvy Tele-Meister

Guys, Guys, It is expensive because it is "Especial"....

12. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

thats GOLD!:D Total sig material.

RE : the Cabronita, pure marketing genius! & Dammit, I want one!

13. openbar

openbar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You guys got me curious, so I looked. Over $5000?!?! Honestly, I figured I read it wrong. Could this be true?

14. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

15. mke52

mke52 Tele-Meister

Well thanks all for your comments, looks like I'm not the only one to be surprised however the way I see it after all the comments are:

There is a strong marketing component in the product; from a purely technical standpoint there are probably not many differences with a standard US tele (from a build point of view, I'm not talking about sound here) however due to the fact that it's a limited series, the production costs are inevitably higher but not so high to justify the suggested retail price.

next question is: why do people buy relic guitars? No No! I'm just kidding lol

a nice weekend to all

16. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Is it possible that the money spent promoting say at NAMM, getting artist endorsements, using custom shop employees who make higher wages than others, the hours spent designing a special run gitar could have to do with the price.

I mean if you want the same thing they made last year then FMIC would have no need or desire to produce CS models at all. You can sense the excitement around here when the new CS models come out, but then the price bomb.

I also doubt that $30,000 for 100 La Cabronita Especials is much more than a drop in the bucket for FMIC, so it hardly seems greed would be the cause. It probably cost more than that to market and promote the model.

Martin...

17. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Well, the CS is hardly a "skunk works". No innovation coming out of there, because innovation is not what most of FMIC's customers want. The guitar business is notoriously anti-innovation.

And as far as greed goes, the greed isn't directly in the profit from the La Cabronitas (Cabronitae?). It's in the buttload of product they move at levels below the Especial models. La Cabronita is a "halo" model. It exists to create buzz and keep people thinking "ooh, I want Fender" and if they can't afford that one, they'll buy another. And they'll be less likely to notice that the price is just a bit higher than it realistically needs to be.

18. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

I'm more suprised at a lot of people being very excited by those Cabronita guitars than by the negative (price!!) reactions.
    It's a relic'd tele with one or two TV Jones pickup filtertron replicas, hardly worth all the fuss IMO...

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wish they made a N.O.S. model with a Bigsby.

20. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How does the word, "cabron" relate to "cabronita" - is it the feminized version of the word? Why so derogatory I wonder?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.