1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why is the cabronita so expensive?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mke52, Mar 4, 2010.

1. mke52

mke52 Tele-Meister

Is it the wood? the build? or just a marketing strategy?

2. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

Yes, yes, YES! In the advertising world, if you want something to appear more special, just charge a lot of money and people will think it stands out more. It will give you, the consumer, more clout when you pull it out amonst your friends. They will think you are more special for paying a lot of money for "the one". Except in reality, they will probably wonder a little bit about your sanity for falling for the hype. This may not be popular opinion here at TDPI because of fan based loyalty, I feel most would secretly covet a Fender icon. I would have to agree it is a great guitar, just a little overpriced.

3. Codinho

Codinho Tele-Meister

Aren't they making only a limited number of those?

4. LennyEdwards

LennyEdwards Tele-Meister

Applying the prestige strategy all the way.....

Make a guitar, limit the run, charge 4 times the probable worth..... success.

I am a self confessed tele-nut, but I may be out here on my own when I say I actually really dislike the look of them, while I understand the historical 'necessity' for such a model, while I can even understand the marketing strategy applied by FMIC in issuing it, I just can't deal with it at all...

If your thinking of buying one or have ordered one, then congrats and I wouldn't post any detrimental comments but this is one special model that leaves me 100% cold. (thankfully for my finances)

5. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I think what some of you are failing to take into account is that the CNC machines which make higher-end models such as the La Cabronita are CNC machines which use the traditions handed down to them by their fathers; saws, sanders, lathes, on back to Great-Great Grandpa Chisel. You can't put a price on that kind of tradition.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I thought it was because John Mayer played one. Or do I have that backwards? Or is it because they named it after him?

7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

because that is what people are willing to pay for them.

This is true of most products.

If you could sell an old table at a garage sale for 25 bucks, you probably would be happy. But if you hung a tag on it that said "special! old table!!" and sold it for $250, you would be even happier.

There are people working for Fender (and every other manufacturer of every other product) whose job it is is to figure out how much someone will pay for an item, and how many of those people there are.

8. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

Hey, wait a minute, do you work for a guy named Don Draper (Madmen)?

9. Chewy

Chewy Tele-Meister

Honestly, I really don't get the price tag on those things either. I mean sure they look cool, but it's just a tele with a different type of pickup - just like their black dove or whatever P90 teles in that respect - those are comparably priced to other teles.

I think it's priced so high because it's a custom shop model, and it's priced in line with other CS's. I just don't know why, if this was such a great idea, they don't make standard level TV Jones models?

...if I was going to splurge on a CS tele, I would sure want one with tele pickups, btw.

10. Curly

Curly Tele-Meister

the price is directly proportional to the number of times they use the term "really cool" in the Custom Shop YouTube videos. :p

11. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Its a CS model and its a limited edition.

If it was a regular USA production model it would be $1500

If the same guitar was an MIM and not limited it would be about $700 or less street price no more expensive than a 50's Classic MIM.

If it happened to be in the CV series it would be $300-350.

12. tgfmike

tgfmike Telefied Gold Supporter

I have no opinion on this topic. I cling to my ignorance, my neutrality and my tele.

13. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

I figured it was an ugly tax....

14. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

if it were the MIM or CV, it would not be shipping with TV Jones pickups either, they'd be replacing them with regular humbuckers or something of the GFS variety. Maybe the USA Stardard version might use regular production Gretsch Filtertrons. Gretsch doesn't start using TV Jones stock until you get into the top tier of the production, and even then the price jumps up a couple hundred from the non TV Jones option.

My point, it might 'look' like the same guitar, but it wouldn't be the same guitar. At least stock. You could always replace the pickups on Marks fictitious models with real TV's and probably have an incredible instrument, just like you can do now. Custom Shop? No. But nice none the less.

15. guitarminator

guitarminator Banned

I don't care who you are, now that's funny right there.

16. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Not entirely true. A set of TV Jones cost $300 retail and while obviously FMIC would NOT pay retail there's only so low Jones can go so even a Squier-made-by-slavery model would have to cost maybe $500

17. krauser2

krauser2 Tele-Afflicted

WAY over priced for what you get...its a case queen

18. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

The question the op asked was why is it so expensive.

I wasnt considering the pickups in my calculations.

So is the real reason its so expensive just the pickups?

The reason its so expensice is its a CS model they are all the most expensive made Fenders.

Im not saying its a bad guitar or anything just giving my ideas why it costs so much its certainly not a complicated guitar to make.

What if it was made elsewhere with just any old humbucker in it thats what I was using as an example.

Why is a Cadillac more than a Chevy?

Why is a Lexus more than a Corolla?

Simple you pay more for the top of the line.

19. A440

A440 Tele-Meister

I'm looking forward to the day they bring out the MIM version...

20. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

Are we talking about a burrito?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.