Why is Sam Ash's website so horrible?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jjmatashi, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Jjmatashi

Jjmatashi TDPRI Member

Sam Ash's used gear website takes foreeeever to load, and you cannot even get an idea of store inventory for new gear.

Compared to Reverb or even GC (or anyone else for that matter), their website is abysmal.

I imagine they must be losing a TON of business.

Is this some weird business strategy, or do they just not care?

old soul and Greggorios like this.
  2. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Philly store has probably 1/3 the inventory it used to have. I was there last week. There was not 1 Fender Tele, a few Strats, and Jags, some Squiers. Looking pretty desolate.

Marc Morfei and Greggorios like this.
  3. posttoastie

posttoastie Friend of Leo's

Sam crAsh !

CajunJ likes this.
  4. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Why not call them and ask?

Nick Fanis and That Cal Webway like this.
  5. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Their entire website has been slow for years. It is also hard to navigate.

old soul likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It was hard to negotiate a fair price for used equipment there, in person as well.

The only way I bought something from Sam Ash was, GC and MF would blow things out and Sam Ash usually would price match. Although I did get two nice NOS G + L Comanches from them in Hollywood. They're just falling back, is all.

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Historically, their site has always been as slow as a tractor. They've lately gone through a site redesign. The 'static' pages seem to be snappy quick, but any databased info, like individual equipment listings, display slowly. I don't know what their philosophy is about Web sites, but they need to straighten their heads out about their own. People who are browsing abandon sites that are too slow.

bgmacaw and Marc Morfei like this.
  8. GeneB

GeneB Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Last time I visited the Carrolwood/Tampa store they had some Michael Kelly guitars on the floor but nothing much high end. The acoustic room was also lacking inventory but some high-end Martins and Taylors were available. (The less expensive ones were mostly sold out). I have a dentist appointment tomorrow in the neighborhood and may stop by again to see if things have improved since all the local mandates have been rescinded. My biggest complaint was listed above - no inventory by store listed.

9. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

No idea. Poor server maintenance? I use Sweetwater.

this_grackle and Larry F like this.
  10. GeneB

GeneB Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Per my earlier post I stopped into Sam Ash Tampa today. The store has been emptied of sales counters. The walls have a few high-end electric guitars - maybe 5 Fenders and Gibsons. A few used guiatrs and some Michael Kelly's. The acoustic room has been emptied out - not even a chair to sit on. I left feeling sad - the store appears to be going under.

11. Big-ez

Big-ez TDPRI Member

Agreed. Their site is the worst. Hard to believe anyone would use it, given how good other music gear sites are.

12. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Friend of Leo's

Unfortunarely this seems to be catching on everyplace. Trying to find any item that's in stock can take an entire afternoon. And, when I stopped at the local SA, there were only two sales people visible. The guy in the guitar area was not a guitarist, and when I asked him if they had any cases for the PRS guitars, he asked my what a PRS was.

Marc Morfei and Muku like this.
  13. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Holic

I abhor GC's used gear web site. Doesn't ANYONE at GC know how to take a decent photo? Compare their photos to Reverb's or even GBase's photos, and there's no comparison. GC should come up with a minimum standard for photos.
    The last time I walked into my local GC, I was appalled. The place was absolutely filthy!

The Angle likes this.
  14. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

I just went to the Sam Ash site. Loaded fine and I went to 5 different pages, all loaded fine.

15. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

A website like Guitar Center’s with location specific inventory synced is extremely expensive and time consuming to create. I would bet it took Guitar Center several years to develop theirs.

It either has to play nice with whatever point of sale system is being used at the store, or they would have to switch to a completely different one. Typically this is in conjunction with the option to buy online- meaning orders, tracking, shipping cost calculations, etc all have to be integrated. There is a ton of back end stuff involved, even though it’s a great feature it’s definitely not as simple as “Why don’t they just…”

bgmacaw and The Angle like this.
  16. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Afflicted

Web programming is very much a mature craft. We've been doing it long enough that there's very little mystery or trial-and-error about it anymore. But that doesn't mean it's simple, cheap, or quick to do. In fact, with all the interconnectedness between virtual and brick-and-mortar stores, a good mercantile platform is a complex beast. As with anything else, quality costs money. If you aren't willing to pay for it, you won't get it.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Executives used to Internet ver 0.5 are amazed and congratulate a web team giving them Internet ver 0.9 beta. They are all still on AOL and dialup modems. It's amazing technology .... unless there is a pesky benchmarking team. But their focus is not on that crazy Web-stuff. They hear about Tweeting and Hashtags and it's just a confusing Snap Chat. It's also all so expensive to keep updating.

Meanwhile, other companies know their web presence is their whole marketing funnel to bring in new customers. Their site even works on tiny phone screens.

The problem is just management focus on what they view is the primary objective of their company and the process they utilize to achieve that goal. Web must not be their main focus. That crazy group in the basement back room is down there toiling away on that site.

18. posttoastie

posttoastie Friend of Leo's

Are you talking about my stores ?

19. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

This has also been my experience. I can easily check new and used stock in my two local GC’s, but not so easy with my two local Sam Ash’s.

20. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I’d suspect you’re wrong. Their website sucks, because their customers are willing to tolerate it. If people stopped doing business with them, they would fix it. They are happy with their return on investment as things sit now.

graybeard65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.