Why is lead dress important?

Dan_Pomykalski

Tele-Meister
I have the stock 57' Custom Deluxe. Fabulous in every way. I suspect the tone control at 9 or 10 is the culprit because if I dial it down to 4 or 5, the hiss/hum disappears. However, the tone changes.
Ah yes. One of the things I dislike most about tweed-style tone controls.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I wonder if I'm reading the original question differently from other folks answering they question as they see it o_O

I read the question as "Above and beyond an amp that doesn't hum and doesn't produce self-noise or catch and amplify environmental noise, does lead dress change the tone of an amp through subtle, purposeful tone shaping of wire lengths, between-wires capacitance, and other ephemera that a builder might claim makes their amp sound better than the same schematic and same components laid out differently (like by a less savvy competitor/cloner?"

And I think the answer is no. Or maybe?
:oops:

(?)
Excellent point. That's why I re-read the first post after he mentioned "tone" in post 28. I don't like being unfair; let me quote his whole first paragraph.

I've heard this so many times, and I understand keeping high voltage and high current wires away from where the signal is going, but in general, why is lead dress important? I can't really see much more of an improvement in sound by cutting the wires short, and to get rid of noise, all you need is proper placement. I know that all wires have resistance and capacitance inherent in them, but it shouldn't be enough to significantly impact the tonality of the amp. Well, if you're Ken Fischer, I guess it really matters, but otherwise I just don't see the point other than making it look pretty.

Hmm, "tonality." Maybe this is about tone, not function or noise or interference or parasitism or oscillation or signal loss... BT? any thoughts? :) Sorry if I misunderstood.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Ah yes. One of the things I dislike most about tweed-style tone controls.
A minor irritant, considering the tone. Oh, the tone! However, it seems that there might be a fix for it. Changing a cap (or resistor??) to a different value will apparently take care of that without sacrifice. I'm not about to jump on it, though if I decide to, my amp tech would certainly know.

Dan_Pomykalski

Tele-Meister
A minor irritant, considering the tone. Oh, the tone! However, it seems that there might be a fix for it. Changing a cap (or resistor??) to a different value will apparently take care of that without sacrifice. I'm not about to jump on it, though if I decide to, my amp tech would certainly know.
Hmmm. The tone control and amp itself are pretty simple. I’m a bit skeptical that changing any of the tone control components won’t make a difference, but let me know how it goes.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Hmmm. The tone control and amp itself are pretty simple. I’m a bit skeptical that changing any of the tone control components won’t make a difference, but let me know how it goes.
It won't be happening any time soon as it's not that much of a bother for me. You can't hear it when you're playing. Probably why it's one of the most coveted amps in recording history, minor irritants and all? Didn't seem to effect Richards, or Neil Young's use of it, or the countless others who have used it live and in recording sessions.

Dan_Pomykalski

Tele-Meister
It won't be happening any time soon as it's not that much of a bother for me. You can't hear it when you're playing. Probably why it's one of the most coveted amps in recording history, minor irritants and all? Didn't seem to effect Richards, or Neil Young's use of it, or the countless others who have used it live and in recording sessions.
Very valid point.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Well just read what the person I replied to said?
I guess telling you over again that I am still confused even with your last reply would be a waste of time. Most people here are are more forthcoming when asked a question, To each his own I guess.

Dan_Pomykalski

Tele-Meister
I guess telling you over again that I am still confused even with your last reply would be a waste of time. Most people here are are more forthcoming when asked a question, To each his own I guess.
Trust me… I definitely know that you’re confused. Why should I put the time and energy retyping the entire conversation when it’s right there for you… all you have to do is read… it’s not even a long thread…

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Trust me… I definitely know that you’re confused. Why should I put the time and energy retyping the entire conversation when it’s right there for you… all you have to do is read… it’s not even a long thread…
No big deal. I will forget about you soon enough.

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
I made a point to point Champ a while back (I think 5C1). It's pretty clean but it's not the Fender layout and picks up noise. It's the noise you hear when you bring a phone close to your amp. A Champ is pretty simple and I've made plenty of quiet ones on eyelet boards. So layout is important. I also once added a negative feedback to a 5E3 and the placement of my switch introduced noise.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
Good lead dress should be part of the design in execution. Recall Seth Lover and his comments on the old Gibby's (GA-50 in particular) how they all sounded different because it was a spaghetti mess inside. That's your effect on tone, folks. The heater wires weren't even twisted on mine. Serviceability is a huge factor too. Watch the expression on someones face when they first see a mess like that inside.